Wednesday, 13 October 2010

Purple Grapes


For some reason, I have always liked photographs of grapes.  Consequently, I also enjoy doing drawings of grapes.  There is just something very appealing about their round, richly-coloured skins which thinly cover the juicy sweetness and/or tartness of the insides. 

Of course, what neither the photo nor the drawing can convey is the smell of ripe grapes.  One of my most vivid memories of the late Alabama summer was the smell of the Muscadine grapes as we picked them in the relative coolness of a late afternoon.  Then there was the special taste of a sun-warmed grape which just happened to find its way into my mouth instead of into my bucket! 


Of course, I could not resist playing with my drawing of grapes and what you see above is the result!  It is supposed to be some sort of colour inversion.  I like the result -- it gives me green leaves and even deeper purple grapes.  Now I am unsure which I like better -- the actual drawing or the manipulated one!


Now I want to show you the remaining drawing I had done of pomegranate blossoms.  You may recall the drawing I showed you back on July 5th, 2010 of pomegranate blossoms.  I did the above sketch at the same time but did not have space in that posting to include it.  So here it is now. 




Once again, I could not resist playing with this image as well.  I don't know what it is about this "twisting" software that appeals to me so much -- maybe it is because it makes the colours look like they are dancing!  Dancing colours -- what a lovely concept.

__________________________
Finally, I want to show you three photos of bridges.  While my love for photos of trees would have to come first on my lists of favourites, photos of old-fashioned bridges would probably be second.



This one is a real favourite of mine.  I love the look of mossy coolness and all the trees and shrubs around.  The circular hole at the base of the bridge brings out the whimsy in me -- I imagine that you can pass from one reality to another simply by going through the hole in the right way.  Or maybe, it is where the troll lives that collects the tolls from anyone trying to cross the bridge!



Here is a natural rock bridge caused by thousands of years of erosion.  I think that the photo was taken in the Appalachian mountains where you find a number of these natural rock bridges.



Here is a lovely little bridge photographed through the branches of a fallen tree.  To me, the fallen tree is also beautiful.  The large amount of gray and black in a misty setting makes the brightness of the leaves stand out all the more.  I would love to be the kind of artist that could see a scene like this and paint it in such a way that it would become even more powerful and dynamic than it is in a photograph.  Ah, well....

_____________________

I, like many other people around the world, have been watching with great thankfulness the amazing rescue of the miners from Chile.  It is almost like having 33 men brought back from the dead.  I can only wonder, of course, what the lives of these men will be like from this point on.  Certainly they have been changed.

May the peace of God be with you all.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved the pictures of the briges can you put up some more up and your coments where in my point of view were very interesting.

P.S I am a christian and artist.