Monday, 22 November 2010

Mandevilla and Glasswing


Well, it is back to flowers again and for once, I did not even use my funny software on this one -- you are getting the original drawing!

This flower, by the way is called a Mandevilla plant.  In the past it was called Dipladenia, but is now called Mandevilla which I think is much prettier.  Anyway, the Mandevilla plant is a genus that includes about 100 species, mostly tropical and subtropical flowering vines belonging to the Apocynaceae, or Periwinkle Family.  The many species of Mandevilla are native to Central and South America, coming originally from the forests near Rio in Brazil.  The genus was named after Henry Mandeville, a British diplomat and gardener who died in 1861.  He must of been the first one to describe the plant for the official literature of the time!  The colours include red, white, pink and yellow and Mandevillas can be trained to grow against a wall or trellis.

The Mandevilla scabra species is sometimes used as an additive to a psychedelic drink, but there is no evidence that it is a psychoactive in its own right.  It is, however considered to be toxic.



Next I want to show you my drawing of a Glasswing Butterfly.  This delightfully different butterfly is properly called Greta oto.  It is known as a "brush-footed butterfly" and is a member of the subfamily Danainae, tribe Ithomiini and sub-tribe Godyridina.  (How is that for fancy talk?!)  I don't actually know this stuff, I got it from the encyclopedia.  Anyway, its wings are translucent.  Its common English name is Glasswing while the Spanish name is more descriptive:  espejitos which means "little mirrors".  Indeed the tissue between the veins of its wings looks like glass as it lacks the coloured scales found in other butterflies.  The opaque borders of its wings are dark brown sometimes tinted with red or orange and its body is dark in colour.  Adults range from Mexico through Panama.  I was first made aware of these beautiful butterflies by my friend, Amra, who very kindly sent me some photos of them which I used to do my own drawing.

There is another butterfly also known as glasswings (Ornipholidotos), but it is unrelated.

_______________
Now for a couple of silly cat photos.  This first one with a caption is really silly, but it did make me chuckle when I first saw it.  Maybe it will do the same fro you.  If not, perhaps you will at least give a groan!




This next one was in a group of award winning ads that a friend sent to me.  Too many of the winners were all about sex, but this one I thought was quite clever.  As you can see, it is an ad for Diet Pepsi.  Maybe I should feed it to Suki and see if I can get a few of those pounds off her before she gets her Christmas treats!  Although, unfortunately, I do not have any mouse holes for her to crawl into!



Finally, I want to show you a sweet photo of a soundly sleeping dog and a kitty who is wide awake for some reason.  As well, the kitty looks a bit nonplussed for some reason.  At any rate, I like the photograph.


______________________
As for me, I have been dealing with a reaction to the flu shot I received last Wednesday.  It has almost been like having a mild case of the flu.  Always in the past I have had flu shots without any reaction other than a slightly sore arm.  This time is different.  I keep hoping each night when I go to bed that I will feel better in the morning, but so far that hasn't happened.  The redness and the swelling in my arm has decreased though so I should be feeling better soon.  I hope!
Suki has done of good job of staying close and looking after me!

May the peace of God be with you all.

No comments: