Wednesday, 3 November 2010

More Nelumbo, etc.


Tonight I want to show you a couple of drawings that were left over from my work on the Indian Lotus drawing I posted this past Friday.  I had spent some time working on these sketches prior to doing the drawing that I presented then.  That drawing of the two Lotus blossoms with their glowing centres was what I considered to be my definitive statement on Nelumbo nucifera or Indian Lotus a plant in the Nelumbonaceae family.

This first drawing (above) shows a Lotus blossom in late bloom.  Next to it is a typical Lotus seed pod gradually drying thereby allowing the seeds to escape.  It did not really work that well but it did give me a better sense of the design of the leaves and the seed pods.

I could not resist playing with the drawing, however.  I used the colour inversion software and you can see the results below.



This second drawing (below) is a rather futuristic attempt to show the Lotus leaves and drying seed pods.  This attempt gave me another opportunity to work on the leaves and the seed pods.  Remember what I said about these seed pods in the previous posting?  In case you have forgotten, I will repeat it.  "Under favourable circumstances, its seeds may remain viable for many years.  The oldest recorded lotus germination was from that of seeds 1,300 years old recovered from a dry lake bed in northeastern China."
  



____________________
Now I want to show you some amusing photos from my collection of animal photographs.  (Remember to send me any cute or funny animal photos you come across as I am always on the lookout for new ones.)

This first photo shows a truly lazy fellow looking quite pleased with himself.
I think the caption underneath the photo says it all!

          Am I a hunk or what!


Next are a series of photos showing animals using each other as a chair or a bed.  In the first one, you see what appears to be a baby rabbit sitting on its mother's back.



In this next photo, we see a kitten sound asleep on an adult's back (probably its mother's).  The adult appears to be watching the photographer very carefully to make certain nothing is done to annoy or awaken the kitten for which it is responsible.


Finally, we  see a dog using another dog as a chair or a pillow.  With two dogs of equal size, you have to wonder if they are siblings or if one is the parent of the other.  Whatever, the dog sitting appears to be rather bold and unconcerned about what the reaction of the "sitee" (no pun intended!) might be.



____________________
Let me tell you about the wonderful day I have had...

My sister and brother-in-law finally made it up here for a visit.  They live in Tennessee and every so often they fly up here just for the day.  So, they arrived this morning and after a bit of a visit, we went to a local restaurant that they like and had a leisurely lunch.  After lunch, my brother-in-law went to run some errands so my sister and I had an opportunity to catch up on family news.  They left in the afternoon to head for the airport and the flight back to their home.  Now I am tired but very happy and very much at peace.

May that same peace be with you all.


1 comment:

Deb said...

Glad to hear you had such a nice day! And I really enjoyed the animal pics, especially the boxers; they made me laugh out loud.