Thursday, 18 November 2010

Still Life with Flowers


Tonight's featured drawing is somewhat different in that it is not just flowers or an icon, but, instead, it is my latest attempt at a still life -- entitled "Still Life with Calla Lilies".

As you may recall me saying, I am strongly attracted to Calla Lilies and have done a number of drawings of them.  So, when I came across a photo of an arrangement of Calla Lilies in an earthenware vase, I immediately knew that I wanted to do a drawing of them with clay-coloured pots and bowls.  You see the result above.



Of course, I could not resist playing with the drawing, using my crazy software.  The version above is done using something called "gamma correction" and I really like the way it changes everything, including the increased sense of light.  I still prefer my original drawing; however, I do like this one too.



Another recent drawing is the flower of the Hepatica plant (above).  The proper name of this plant is Hepatica nobilis of the family, Ranunculaceae.
Hepatica comes from the word "hepar" or liver, referring to its supposed curative properties.  Nobilis means notable, showy.

David Pivorunas has written:  "In eastern North America, one of the most delightful early blooming species is hepatica (Hepatica nobilis). Its bright blue, white, or pink flowers warm the hearts of all who see them, as they shimmer in the rays of sunshine that reaches the forest floor thru the branches of the leafless trees of earliest springtime. The flowers may not fully open on a rainy day but even on cloudy days it is still quite a thrill to come across the subtle elegance of the partially opened flowers heralding the opening of the new season. The flowers have a fresh, delicate scent, their fragrance promises that spring is just around the corner. Hepatica nobilis is a small evergreen herb found growing in rich woodlands from Minnesota to Maine to Northern Florida west to Alabama. The flowers are most commonly blue or lavender, although white forms may be common locally, especially in southern areas, and there may be various shades of pink."

_________________________
Now, I would like to show you a couple of lovely photos of mother and child.  These, however, are not the typical images which come to mind when you hear someone speak of "mother and child".  Rather, these are photos of ape mothers and ape babies!



Here we see a mother with her newborn baby resting at her breast.  The mother looks relaxed and alert while the baby seems to be sleeping.  This is one of those photos that makes me want to say "Awww, how sweet."


This next photo is just the opposite of the first!  First of all the baby is older than the newborn and the mother looks neither relaxed nor rested.  Instead, she looks like she is just about at the end of her rope.  I would love to have a photograph of what happened next!

We can almost her the mother saying:  "If I had known being a mother was going to be like this, I would definitely have seen to it that I had a headache that night all those months ago!"



Finally, I want to show you a photo that always makes me laugh.  This lady could simply not carry another apple.  She must be really hungry.  Of course, there may be another reason why she is carrying all this fruit -- she could be taking an apple back for each of her children and friends.  Which one do you think it is?

I think your answer would be very revealing.  I mean, my first assumption was that she is greedy.  What does that say about me?  I think it says that I have a lot of work to do in trying to change my cynical attitude to one of generosity and charity!

___________________
I continue to do reasonably well; however, Suki had to see the vet this week!  She had started having some bowel problems similar to those she had when she first came to live with me.  The vet suggested we try the same medication we used the first time and Suki is already much better after three days on the medication.  I must say, though, that my delivery of the medication leaves much to be desired.  It is a chalky, white liquid which I have to deliver by means of a syringe (no needle) placed into the side of Suki's mouth.  Last night, for example, I thought I was going to be able to get the entire dose into her as I only had one "squirt" left in the syringe.  I gave a push to the plunger just as Suki managed to get her head away from me.  The chalky, white liquid went all over the floor and the nearby furniture.  I am sure Suki was laughing to herself as she watched me spend the next 20 minutes cleaning up the mess I had made.  Oh, what a cat!

May peace be with you all.

1 comment:

Deb said...

Giving medicine to cats, what a joy! Been there, and know how frustrating it can me. I really hate giving them pills, though! Worse by far than the syringe.