Wednesday, 8 December 2010

Immaculata


First, let me point out the obvious -- I have a new look.  What do you think?

Now, down to business.  I don't normally show new icons two postings in a row, but this is a special situation.  Today is the feast of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary so I just had to do something special regarding Our Lady.  By the way, as I think I have mentioned before, the "Immaculate Conception" does not have anything "directly" to do with the conception of Christ Jesus.  Rather, it refers to Our Lady being conceived in the womb of her mother, Anne, as though she was already baptized -- as though her son had already experienced His saving death and resurrection.  That gets into the theology of it all; however, for me it is just one of my favourite Marian feast days.  So, I am celebrating by showing you a strange set of icons.

Yes, I said "set" for if you look further down the column, you will see the companion piece of Our Lord.  Normally, a matched set of icons are used as wedding or anniversary gifts in the eastern churches.  I am sure you will agree that both icons have a very strange look about them.  I got the idea from some modern icons I saw recently online.  The colours are totally unknown for traditional iconography, but create very interesting images.  Personally, I think the one of Our Lord is much more successful than the one of Our Lady and the Holy Child (looking like an adult). 

Take a look...




I find them quite interesting and am glad I tried the experiment.  Speaking of experiments, I could not resist trying my funny software on the drawing of Our Lord.  The results were too strange and eerie looking for me to post them here -- the function I tried gave Our Lord yellow eyes -- yikes!

So, I would really like to know what you, the followers of my blog (both official and unofficial), think of these unusual icons.  Although the colours are outside of tradition, there still remains the value of the images themselves.  If you have an opinion, please let me know.  Thanks.

_______________________________
Next I want to show you some cute animal photos from my ever-growing collection.  These pictures show ducks in various situations -- or as a young friend of mine used to call them "quackers".



First, we see two little "quackers" getting acquainted with a kitten.  I doubt if either the kitten or the ducks have any idea that if the kitten was an adult, he might well be trying to feast on at least one of these duckling snacks!



Here we see that indefatigable spirit of the earth's creatures.  Evidently, the lead duckling has not been told that his species is not know for their climbing abilities.  Although, I must say he is doing a remarkable job there.  However, I fear that the photo following this one would have shown the lead duckling flat on his little back.



Finally, I want to show you this photo that was taken 4 or 5 years ago.  This scene occurred on our roof garden during the early summer.  The mother duck had set up her nest there and by the time we discovered it, all the eggs were laid and she was already nesting.  The animal control people said it was best to just leave her there -- which we did -- and then to arrange to have them pick her up once the eggs had been hatched and the ducklings were old enough to travel.  This is what we did and as the days passed and the eggs hatched, it was fascinating to watch how the mother found a way to teach her little ones to swim.  I actually would have voted to let her stay indefinitely, but I was greatly outnumbered!

__________________________
Things are going reasonably well at my place.  I continue to have my usual mobility problems, but that is nothing new.  The work on my icon colouring book has slowed down considerably as I finally discovered that in order to get each original drawing to an attractive line drawing suitable for colouring, much more work is involved than I had originally thought. 

Suki continues to be a distraction par excellence.  I will often begin a task which should only take me a few minutes, but when Suki gets involved it takes a much longer time.  For example, using the Swiffer on the floor of the whole apartment should only take about 15 minutes.  But at the first sound of my using the mop, here comes Suki!  I am then supposed to chase her with the Swiffer mop or push it under the edge of the living room rug so that she can attack it!  I can't resist playing with her so the entire job will often take twice as long as it should have!  What a delightful character she is -- most of the time! 

Speaking of Suki, here she comes begging me to hold her for a few moments so this posting must come to an end.

Happy Feast Day!  May the peace of God be with you all.

1 comment:

Amra Porobic said...

Sallie,
I really liked your two "strange" icons. So much that I will ask you to make a set of 10 cards for me (5 of each).
See you tomorrow.
A