Friday, 15 April 2011

What can I say?

Tulipa Darwin hybrid a variety of T. gesneriana
Tonight's title has more to do with my condition than with the Tulip pictured above.  I have not been well this week and as a consequence, the posting that would normally have been done yesterday is being done today.  I think that while I may state that a posting will appear every four days, the reality is every five days -- and maybe that is the way it will have to be for a while until I recover.  Please stick with me.  Now for tonight's latest Tulip!

I have now shown you a number of members of the genus Tulipa.  In this posting, I want to speak a bit more about the history of the tulip.

A tulip is any plant of the large genus Tulipa, hardy, bulbous-rooted members of the family Liliaceae (lily family), indigenous to north temperate regions of the Old World from the Mediterranean to Japan and growing most abundantly on the steppes of Central Asia. Cultivated tulips, popular as garden and cut flowers and as potted plants, are chiefly varieties of T. gesneriana. They have deep, cup-shaped blossoms of various rich colors.

Tulip seeds are said to have been introduced into Europe in 1554 from Turkey, where they were possibly first cultivated. In the Netherlands in the 17th cent. the wild speculation on tulip bulbs became known as tulipomania: single bulbs sometimes brought several thousand dollars until the government was forced to interfere. The Netherlands is still the most important center of tulip culture.  [see Encyclopaedia Britannica]

In the drawing above we are looking down into the centre of a tulip, seeing the intricate beauty that is often missed by only noticing the outside of the flower.

________________________

Next I want to show you a funny photo I came across of identity theft.  Remember we had a discussion about identity theft a few postings ago, illustrated with delightful photos.  Now here is another one -- also a "chuckler".  It even made me laugh out loud!


Identity Theft, Big Time!
_______________________

Suki has been taking good care of me while I have been unwell.  I am sure she will continue to do so.  It really does make me feel better to go to sleep listening to a softly purring cat nearby.

May the peace of God be with us all.

1 comment:

Amra Porobic said...

Dear Sallie,
I hope you will be better soon. Please let me know if I can be of any help...
I loved your "hair style" and St Basil icon. I never told you how we break "Basil's pie" - Serbs call it chesnitza.
Please confirm you got this comment, I'm not sure they reach you.
Love
amra