Friday, 13 May 2011

Anthurium hybrid "Flamingo Flower"

Anthurium hybrid "Flamingo Flower"

Anthurium is a large genus of about 600- 800 (possibly 1,000) species, belonging to the arum family (Araceae). Anthurium can also be called "Flamingo Flower" or "Boy Flower".

Anthurium grows in many forms, mostly evergreen, bushy or climbing epiphytes with roots that can hang from the canopy all the way to the floor of the rain forest. There are also many terrestrial forms which are found as understory plants, as well as hemiepiphytic forms. A hemiepiphyte is a plant capable of beginning life as a seed and sending roots to the soil, or beginning as a terrestrial plant that climbs a tree and then sends roots back to the soil. Anthurium flowers develop crowded in a spike on a fleshy axis, called a spadix.  The tiny white "dots" on the spadix in my drawing are the Anthurium flowers.

Most hybrids are based on A. andreanum or A. scherzerianum because of their colorful spathes.  The Anthurium has a solitary spathe which is a showy modified bract (in botany, a bract is a modified or specialized leaf).  In the case of the "Flamingo Flower", the spathe is the flamingo-coloured leaf surrounding the spadix.  I trust I have you thoroughly confused!  Don't worry, so am I.

The A. scherzerianum mentioned in the previous paragraph is an Anthurium of which I did a drawing some months ago.  You may recall what a crazy looking flower it is, but in case you don't remember it, I have posted it below.


Anthurium scherzerianum nicknamed "Noodles"

The other variety mentioned in the above paragraph is A. andreanum and is the Anthurium with which we are most familiar.  It is the one you often see in the grocery store florist department.  I am posting a lovely drawing of this flower below.  This is not one of my drawings but is a drawing by a famous artist of the 1800's by the name of Sir Joseph Paxton.



Anthurium andraeanum drawing by Sir Joseph Paxton
 ________________________________

Moving on to a bit of foolishness, I now want to show you a few photos from South Africa of a highway collision!  I think you will find it very instructive.  The first photo shows a busy highway in the Pilanesberg Game Reserve.


Elephant in Pilanesberg Game Reserve, South Africa - 1

Evidently, the driver of the white VW wanted to pass the bull elephant and begin honking his horn.  This was a big mistake.


Elephant in Pilanesberg Game Reserve, South Africa - 2

The elephant obviously became annoyed with the honking object riding right on his tail, so to speak.  He stopped, turned around and proceeded to dispose of this noisy nuisance which was destroying the pleasure of his afternoon walk.


Elephant in Pilanesberg Game Reserve, South Africa - 3

Elephant in Pilanesberg Game Reserve, South Africa - 4

First, he gave the noisy object a good head butt, followed by a good trunk lashing.  This stopped all the terrible racket that had been so bothersome.

At the point, it would appear that there was no more white VW, no more honking horn and, thus, nothing else that will interfere with his graceful walk through the game reserve! 

The lesson here?  If you get behind a bull elephant in traffic, do not honk your horn!

____________________________

Things are fairly quiet at my "house" these days.  Suki has not done anything too outrageous.  I have managed to go almost five weeks now with falling and hitting my head.  Really, I might even be able to say that things are really going well (with a few qualifiers, of course!).

I am presently conducting marriage preparation courses for several different couples on several different days of the week.  As I have mentioned before, I really enjoy working with these couples and consider it a real gift from God to be able to continue to do this kind of work.  I only work with one couple at a time and this means that we really get to know one another:  they get to know each other better, I get to know them and they get to know me.

Speaking of marriage preparation reminds me that I have one of those couples coming for their next session tomorrow morning so I had better go and get myself prepared.  Suki just awoke and sends everyone a big stretch and a yawn!

May the peace of God be with us all.

No comments: