Monday, 9 May 2011

Our Lady and The Good Shepherd

Icon of Our Lady -- modelled after a Russian icon
No matter how many times I try to draw an image of Our Lady, I am never able to complete it the way I see it in my mind.  The problem is, I think, that I would need to be a trained artist with a great gift like Michelangelo to have any hope of drawing what I see in my mind.  However, I keep trying and showing you the results -- as amateurish as they may be.  I hope you don't mind! 


Icon of Jesus as the Good Shepherd
 I did my best, buy I doubt seriously if my poor little sheep would be able to walk anyway considering how I have drawn him.  Thank goodness Jesus is carrying him!

I was trying to show Our Lord as a rugged shepherd -- the kind you can still see in the Holy Land today.  I am not sure, but I may have made him look more like a "hippie" than a shepherd!

____________________________________________

Now for news on my literary efforts:
Here is what the cover of my second book looks like in colour

I had submitted my book on the Stations of the Cross to this magazine some months ago. I had actually hoped that if they were going to review it, the review would have appeared before Lent began so that people might think of purchasing it for use in their Lenten activities.  However, beggars can't be choosers, they say, so I am just grateful that it has finally appeared now.  One interesting thing the reviewer did was to assume that my last name was Cosby Thayer.  I don't mind that since that is just a combination of my maiden and married names, but it did come as a surprise when I first read the review.  Now, please enjoy the wonderfully positive review below.



My first and only book review

The magazine, by the way, is a Canadian publication published by the Catholic Charismatic organization.  The magazine is called "The Bread of Life".

______________________

Finally, let me leave you with one of my favourite "special" photographs.  This is one of those photos that had the photographer with camera in the right place at the right time.  You know -- one of those moments where we all usually say "Oh, if I just had my camera with me right now".

You may have seen this photo before as it has been around for a while, but each time I look at it, I delight in seeing what appears to be a young boy pulling the sun along in his wagon.


Carrying the Sun in a Wagon


__________________
At the moment, my cat, Suki, is acting crazier than usual.  She was sitting on her favourite window ledge when something evidently spooked her.  She quickly got out of the window, turned around a few times with a strange expression on her face and is now sitting on top of the printer which enables her to look out of the window underneath the blinds.  I assume she is doing this so that whatever is out there can't see her while she can see it.  I suppose I should get up and look outside myself, but, knowing Suki, it will probably turn out to be a reflection of tree branches moving in the wind!  What a cat.

Actually, we are both doing reasonably well -- all things considered.  I, for one, am very grateful that the warmer weather is returning.  It was so nice to go out today with only a light jacket on and feel the warmth of the sun on my head.  What a great time of year.

May the peace of God be with us all.



No comments: