Saturday, 21 May 2011

Tillandsia cyanea -- Pink Quill

Tillandsia cyanea -- Pink Quill (Solarization) drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer

Today's drawing is a rather different flowering plant which I find beautiful because of its unique appearance.  Actually, I have presented a view of this plant that appears to be more unique than it really is.  I used my "solarization" software on my finished drawing and I liked the results so much that I decided to use it as the introductory view of this plant.  As well, my drawing is of a rather immature plant since it does not yet have any violet flowers in evidence.  So let me tell you more about this plant.

Tillandsia cyanea or Pink Quill is a species of flowering plant in the Bromeliad family, subfamily Tillandsioideae. An epiphyte* native to Ecuador, T. cyanea is among the most commonly cultivated bromeliad species. The foliage grows in a rosette of thin, recurved leaves and the inflorescence is a plume of pink or red bracts from which violet flowers emerge.  *[An epiphyte (or air plants) is a plant that grows upon another plant (such as a tree) non-parasitically or sometimes upon some other object (such as a building or a telegraph wire), derives its moisture and nutrients from the air and rain and sometimes from debris accumulating around it, and is found in the temperate zone (as many mosses, liverworts, lichens and algae) and in the tropics (as many ferns, cacti, orchids, and bromeliads)] taken from Wikipedia.

As mentioned above,Tillandsias are epiphytes in their native Ecuador and have small roots, mainly used for anchoring themselves on trees. Because the roots don't drink up water, these tree-dwelling plants gather moisture and nutrients through their leaves.  Below is a photograph of Tillandsia cyanea growing wild in its native country of Ecuador.


Tillandsia cyanea -- Pink Quill growing wild (see flower at top)

Below is my original drawing.  As I mentioned previously, I really prefer the appearance of the plant in the "manipulated" drawing at the beginning of this posting.  What do you think?


Tillandsia cyanea -- Pink Quill  by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer -- original drawing


__________________________
Now for some animal photographs.  I haven't shown you any of my horsey photos for a while and, since I have a couple of new ones, I thought this should be the time!



"Do you see what she is wearing!  Can you believe that pink harness?!!"

I know that the expressions on the faces of these two horses has more to do with being leery of whatever it is that they are seeing; however, the expressions look, to me, very much the way two women look when they are talking about someone and trying not to let everyone know that they are talking about someone!  In other words, when two women are gossiping -- something I try my very best not to do, but sometimes the temptation is so very great!



"Hey, where is that man with our evening snack??

This photo is just so perfect -- it really does look like the two horses in the front are looking every "which- away" for something important -- like fresh hay, a new salt lick or something.  They are also beautiful horses I might add!


"Sweetheart, I know you want to hug me, but horses just don't hug -- it just isn't done."

This poor colt, who does appear to be trying to hug his mother, will have to learn the hard way that bony legs and sharp hooves just do not make for hugging!  I do feel sorry for the poor mama horse who is trying to tolerate this behaviour!

_________________________________

Once again I can report that Suki is sound asleep on the back of her favourite chair.  Sadly, it is a chair that I would really like to get rid of as I can no longer use it for myself; however, I just can't bring myself (yet) to deprive Suki of this chair.  I think she likes it so much because it is close enough to me for her to be able to see me while I am working on the computer and yet far enough away so that my occasional grumblings and sudden movements, caused by the occasional spasm or pain, don't disturb her sleep too much.  What a dilemma!  I think I may try to get someone to move the chair for me to a less pleasant location so that she no longer finds it so suitable.

I am hobbling along as usual these days.  I hope to try to get back to the gym for 30 minutes or so starting this coming Monday.  I will just have to see how my poor old joints are feeling by then.

I want to end this posting with another horse photo.  This picture reminds me of the countryside where I lived as a teenager -- back when I had a horse of my own.  So many good memories of that horse and the rides we took through the countryside.

First drink of the day

May the peace of God be with us and with all His creatures.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Lovely pictures!
Love the one with the colt trying to hug his mother! :)
And I just wonder, could I use that pose in the picture to a drawing im going to work on? It just fit perfectly. And I will ofc credit you for that pose! Do you have a Deviantart account? Anyway I hope I hear from you, love your pictures! :)

Sallie Thayer said...

Well, since you did not give me an email address, I will put my answer here and, hopefully, you will find it. I cannot give you permission regarding using the actual photo, but if you are doing art work and simply using that photo as a model, you don't need permission to do that as you are not using the actual work of someone else. Sadly, that photo was one of many which I took the liberty of using in my blog back before I begin to understand how strongly some people feel about others using their work without permission. Now, I do not use anything I haven't gotten permission to use and will remove from my blog any photo when requested to do so by the actual owner. Anyway, it doesn't seem to me that you have anything to worry about if all you are doing is using that pose for a model. All the best. Sarah Sallie

Anita said...

Sorry, i totally forgot to give you my e-mail, but I got you answer :) And I understand, and as you said, I'll not use the actual photo, just the pose as a model for my cartoon horses I'm going to draw. So thank you so much for clearing that up and I really appriciate it. All the best to you too.