Thursday, 16 June 2011

Lavatera the Second

Lavatera assurgentiflora drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer

As I promised in the posting named "Lavatera the First", here is the second Lavatera drawing.  There may even be a Lavatera the Third!  I will have to consider whether to draw another species that has caught my attention.  Meanwhile let me tell you about the species with the strange name of L. assurgentiflora!

Lavatera assurgentiflora is known by a number of different common names such as the following:  the Island Mallow, Mission Mallow, Royal Mallow and Island Tree Mallow. It is endemic to California, where it is native only to the Channel Islands.

It can also be found growing in coastal mainland California, where it is an escapee from cultivation. It is grown as an ornamental plant and windbreak.

Lavatera assurgentiflora is a sprawling perennial herb or bushy shrub generally exceeding a meter tall and approaching four meters in maximum height. The leaves are up to 15 centimeters long and wide and are divided into 5 to 7 toothed lobes. The showy flowers have five dark-veined deep pink petals which are somewhat rectangular in shape and 2.5 to 4.5 centimeters long.  You can see the strangely shaped petals in my drawing although I only have two leaves visible -- one is medium size while the other is very small.

This genus was named after a 17th century Swiss botanist by the name of J. R. Lavater.


Lavatera assurgentiflora drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer showing the use of Solarization software

This is what happened when I applied the solarization software.  Actually, I really like this version too.  What do you think?  I often seem to like the strange results of these various software functions better than the original drawing.  I think this is because of the unique colours I often end up with -- colours which are not possible with my regular palette.

________________________

I have been drawing so many flowers lately that I am including a second one in this posting.  I have drawn other Osteospermum species.  (see 4/10/10, 10/26/09 and 10/8/09)

This one, Osteospermum fruticosum, is one of the simpler flowers, but beautiful nonetheless.

Osteospermum fruticosum drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer from photo taken by Hylott
The title mentions that I worked from a photo by my friend, Hylott, in Alabama.  This plant was quite possibly growing in his garden as he and his wife, Patsy, have a beautiful selection of flowers.  I am always pleased when he sends me photos of flowers as he takes beautiful, clear pictures, including close-ups as he knows I really like close-ups so I can clearly see the details of the flower and its leaves just in case I decide to do a drawing of it.



Osteospermum fruticosum drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer using colour reversal software

 As usual, I couldn't resist playing with the image.  The above result was achieved by using something called "colour reversal software".  The colours are quite interesting, especially since O. fruticosum also comes in yellow!  In fact, I was going to do a drawing of the yellow variety, but now that I have this image, I may be satisfied with just using this one even though the yellow variety does not have that bright green ring at the centre!

Now for a few new "cute" photos I came across this past week.

_______________________________

Tonight's offerings include a bear and two birds.


Mrs. Bear sitting in the sun "how you ever gonna get your day's work done?"
I was going to title the photo "Mrs. Bruin sitting in the sun..."; however, after the loss of the Vancouver Canucks hockey team to the Boston Bruins and the ensuing riots in Vancouver, I felt it was not appropriate and might incite further rioting!


Could this be a Hummingbird sitting in a Calla Lily?  Whatever it is, it is beautiful!

This photo came with its own caption which suits me fine.  Unfortunately, the photo did not come with any information about the identification of the beautiful bird sitting inside the Calla Lily.  From the beak, I am inclined to think it might be one of those jeweled hummingbirds I have heard about.  If anyone out there knows for certain what type of bird this is, please, please let me know.


Can you see those beady, little eyes?  They seem to me to be saying:  "What do you think you are staring at, Mister?"
 Here is another bird whose identity I am unsure of.  I think it might be a pelican; however, I have never seen a pelican with such interesting colouring of the beak.  As well, I cannot see the pouch that all pelicans have that holds all those fish they supposedly catch every day.

Such a dilemma!  Once again, if you know what this bird really is, please let me know.

_________________________

Now for my news. 

I really don't have any news of real significance.  I have returned to the gym, going almost every day this week and enjoying immensely the feeling that all those endorphins give after I have finished my limited workout.  I can no longer do certain exercises that I did previously, but there are still a few that don't hurt and seem to help!

One interesting note about my left eye.  When I fell a little over two months ago, I damaged my left eye -- the sixth cranial nerve, to be exact.  The damage causes me to see double.  The doctor provided me with a prescription for special glasses which I believe I told you about.  However, these glasses are only for working on the computer or reading a book.  So, when I try to watch my favourite shows on EWTN or Salt and Light TV, I spend much of my time trying to keep my left eye closed so I don't see double images on the screen.  So, I decided to get myself one of those "pirate" eye patches.  I look very "swashbuckling" when I put it on.  I am thinking about wearing it out tomorrow when I go for coffee! 

By the way, Suki is not impressed with my new look.  She thinks the eye patch is a new toy and thus I have had to put it away for the time being.  By the way, she thinks it is a toy while I am wearing it, not only when I am holding it in my hand!
Suki, by the way, is doing very well, as always.  At the moment she is sleeping on the back of "her" chair after having been fed a large supper!  What a cat.

Speaking of supper reminds me, I still haven't put away everything from my supper, so I had better go and get that done before bedtime sneaks up on me.
I will close by showing you another photo that "pleases my soul". 

Sunlight creeps into the deep woods
 May the peace of God be with us all.

1 comment:

Sallie (Sarah) said...

Once again I forgot to tell you something that I had meant to tell you. It is about the photos of the tulip fields in the posting entitled: "Lavatera the First". I got those photos from a pps that was sent to me back in May. The pps was all about the Netherlands. I have since discovered that the photos actually show the tulip fields in Washington State, USA! So, my apologies for an honest mistake. Next time I will do a bit more research and not just assume that every pps is telling the truth!
Sallie