Thursday, 21 July 2011

Angel's Trumpet and Butterfly

[new icon of St. John the Baptist at bottom of this posting]
Angel Trumpet, drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2011

Family: Solanaceae; Genus: Brugmansia.  I am unsure about the species as the flowers do not usually come in the lilac colour I have used -- shall we just call this choice of colours "artistic license"?  The colour which appears to be close to lilac is found in Brugmansia vulcanicola which grows in the Andes. All species of this flowering plant is commonly known as Angel's Trumpet in the English-speaking world and the traditional colours are white and yellow.  There are cultivars with such names as Mango Peach and Grand Marnier.
 
Angel's trumpet is a heat-loving tropical or subtropical shrub that likes warm (80 -85 degrees F) days and cool nights. Its fragrant, trumpet-shaped flowers dangle from upright stems and appear in shades of white, yellow, pink, orange, and cream.

All parts of the plant are poisonous if eaten, and the plant has been banned in some communities. For more information on the various species of this plant as well as its use in the shamanic practices of the peoples of Amazon Basin, go to:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brugmansia

Now, as to the butterfly, I have no idea what kind of butterfly it is.  I find it extremely beautiful and, truthfully, I enjoyed the experience of drawing this image.  How our Creator can do such incredibly beautiful things in such small detail on the wings of a butterfly or moth (or any other creature) is something that has always amazed and delighted me.  If any of you know what type of butterfly this is, please do let me know.

As usual, I had to play with the image a bit and was impressed by the way it looked when I used the colour inversion software. 

Angel Trumpet with colour inversion, drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2011

The use of "colour inversion" gives everything such a delicate look, I think.  I would be interested in hearing your comments on the use of inversion software with this image.

________________________________________

I collected some aerial photos this past week of places I found interesting and now want to share them with you.



This first one is, as the label says, Dubrovnik, Croatia.  This is one of the places I have often thought I would like to see.  However, by the time I had the time to do it, I was far too disabled to do it.  So, instead of going, I just look at the photos of friends who have gone there and enjoy hearing their stories.



Here are some tulip fields that, as the heading says, are really in The Netherlands!  No more of those Washington State lookalikes for me!  What incredible patterns of colour they make.  I would be willing to bet that some artistic photographer has made a series of aerial photographs of the tulip fields, using the colours to create patterns and designs.  Maybe I will search and see.  If any of you know of such a production, please let me know.



This photo, as it says, is the military cemetery in Verdun, France.  I am sure it is only a portion of that cemetery and this is only one military cemetery out of the thousands around the world.  What a tragic statement about mankind -- us!  All those young lives cut short in their prime and still there is no peace.  As we have all heard many times, world peace begins in the heart of each one of us.  I pray for peace each day -- as I am sure many of you do -- and then try to radiate peace wherever I go.  As St. Francis said so beautifully, "Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace."

____________________

Finally, I will tell you that Suki and I have done very little this week other than spend a lot of time indoors enjoying that wonderful invention called "air-conditioning".  Thank goodness for the discovery of air conditioning! I remember all too well what life was like without it.

I have gotten out to the gym most days although today I plan to stay home and take it easy.  I think that staying at home so much of the rest of the time left me forgetful about which day of the week it was.  When it suddenly dawned on me this morning that it was already the 21st of July, I quickly got on the computer to write this posting.  Sorry that I am a day late, but blame it on the weather!

_________________________

Here is today's additional offering:  a new icon of St. John the Baptist.  This is based on the style of icons in which everything is purposely elongated.  I used the sun as a halo to remind us that St. John the Baptist lived for a number of years in the Judean desert where, like in any desert, the sun seems to burn everything it touches during the day.  Then, at night, he would have needed all those camel skins to keep warm!  I chose to give St. John blue eyes as I wanted even his eyes to appear to have been burned by the desert sun.  I like to think about how living in the desert in solitude (prior to getting his followers) shaped his character, giving him the humility to say upon being asked about Jesus, "He must increase and I must decrease."


Icon, St. John the Baptist, drawn by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2011

St. John the Baptist, please pray with us for peace in the world -- and may that peace be with us all.

No comments: