Monday, 4 July 2011

Wishbone Flower

Wishbone Flowers drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, Torenia fournieri, [original drawing]

Wishbone Flowers drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, Solarization effect


• Member of the Scrophulariaceae (figwort) family.
• Common family members include Calceolaria, Digitalis, Pensetmon and Nemesia.
• Native to mostly Asia and Africa with some species naturalized in North America.
Named for Olaf Toren, a Swedish clergyman who discovered Torenia asiatica while traveling in China in 1750
Torenia (Torenia fournieri) is a low growing flowering annual plant. It is also known as bluewings or wishbone flower. Torenia is related to snapdragons and foxglove. This resemblance can be seen in the shape of the flower. While blue is a common color for Torenia, the velvety flowers are often white on the bottom with a color such as pink or purple on the upper parts. There are also sometimes yellow spots on flower petals. The stamen inside the flower looks like a wishbone to some.

I find this a most interesting flower to see and to draw.  Maybe it is because I always wanted the wishbone when we had fried chicken for Sunday dinner.  Being the youngest, I was often allowed to eat the delicious meat on that small piece of chicken.  I would eat it as quickly as possible just so that I could then ask one of my family members to pull the wishbone with me.  I was always very excited when I got the winning piece of the bone even though I don't recall any of my wishes coming true!  Even after all these years and even with the knowledge that I rarely ever eat meat anymore, I still feel hungry just thinking about the dainty wishbone that my mother had carefully cut off the chicken breast.  Maybe that was why I always felt hungry while drawing this particular plant!


Wishbone Flowers (Colour Inversion) drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2011

And, of course, I could not resist playing with the drawing after it was finished.  The image above is what resulted when I tried "colour inversion".  While interesting, it is not really very pretty in my opinion.  It looks to me like a plant you would find in someones borderline nightmare -- you know, not really a nightmare, but just on the borderline.  What do you think about it?

_______________________________

For some reason, I felt like showing you some photos of sunsets.  I think it may be because my friend, Amra, sent me a very unusual photo of a sunset at the North Pole.  Then a few days later, my friend, Jay, sent me a photo of a sunset on a lake in the southern U.S.  This was all the prompting I needed to decide to share  these photos and two other sunset photos with you.


Sunset at Clark Hill Dam (Georgia?) by Jay Thaxton




Summertime, the sun setting, two people fishing in the cool of the late afternoon -- sounds nice, doesn't it.  I believe this lake is in Georgia and I also believe that the people in the boat may be bass fishing as it looks to me like the kind of boat and setup people use for that activity.  Whatever is going on, Jay certainly captured a special moment.


Summer Sunset
I am uncertain as to where this photo was taken, but I believe it is in the American mid-west.  Of course, it could also be the Canadian mid-west so we will have to settle for North America.  How lush the fields look while the red sky at night would seem to indicate that the next day will be hot and dry.  The natural world around us is so incredible.  How sad it is to consider the way we have treated it and continue to treat it!



Western Sunset
This western sunset is so typical of the many, many sunsets I witnessed while living in New Mexico all those years ago.  The sky would be beautiful, wonderfully so, but if you blinked your eyes too many times, you could miss it entirely.  Western sunsets, from my experience, never lasted more than a minute or two.  So quickly the sky would go from glorious colour to shades and gray and black.



Sunset at the North Pole
Isn't this an incredible photo?

My friend, Amra, sent it to me as I mentioned previously.  I have no idea where she got it from, but I am so glad she shared it.  I would love to see something like this for real, but I don't think I would be willing to travel to the North Pole to do so.  What amazing things exist in our world and unless someone points them out to us, we miss the majority of them.  I often recall a passage I read in Annie Dillard's Pilgrim at Tinker Creek (one of my favourite books).  At this point in the book she is writing as spring turns into summer and she is marvelling at the abundance of creation -- how the system God originally set into motion produces so much more than is needed.  She comments that this holy extravagance can be seen throughout all of creation.  I think it can also be seen in the way we are loved by God.  Do you get what I mean?

Anyway, these are all my sunsets for this posting.  I have more photos of sunsets and sunrises that I have collected so you are certain to see more such photos in the future.

__________________________

As for me, I saw the "chief" chiropractor at the hospital today and he did his assessment and laid out a plan of action for me.  I feel hopeful that what he has described might lead to quite a bit of improvement in my neck and back.  I will keep you informed as I undertake treatment.  The only drawback is that he is going to be away for the month of July so I won't really get started until August!

Suki, meanwhile, is being her usual, lovable self! 

I apologize for being a couple of days late with this posting; however, I thought it would be nice to post it on July 4th.  All my family and friends in the U.S. are celebrating today and many of them have sent me emails wishing me a happy 4th of July.  I have been writing back to remind them that our special day in Canada is July 1st.  Not only is our celebration before the one in the U.S. but Canada is also a bit younger than the States.  Slowly I am educating them about this wonderful country of Canada!

So, with best wishes to all my family and friends in the U.S.A., I will end today's posting with the above art photo.

May the peace of God be with us all, Canadians and Americans.

No comments: