Thursday, 29 September 2011

Feast St. Michael and Archangels

Icon, St. Michael the Archangel, drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2011

A note of explanation... As my regular followers are aware, I normally alternate between drawings of flowers and religious icons. However, this posting which would normally have been featuring a new flower drawing just happens to fall on the Feast of St. Michael and the Archangels. Thus I could not resist posting my most recent icon of St. Michael. I will post a new flower drawing at the very end of the post and then my next post will also be featuring a new flower drawing. 

_______________________

St. Michael the Archangel

St. Michael, the Archangel, whose Feast day is today, September 29th, now shares this feast day with the Archangels Gabriel and Raphael. The name Michael signifies "Who is like to God?" and was the war cry of the good angels in the battle fought in heaven against Satan and his followers. (see the Book of Revelation, chapter 12). Holy Scripture describes St. Michael as "one of the chief princes," and leader of the forces of heaven in their triumph over the powers of hell. He has been especially honored and invoked as patron and protector by the Church from the time of the Apostles. Although he is always called "the Archangel," the Greek Fathers and many others place him over all the angels - as Prince of the Seraphim. St. Michael is the patron of mariners, paratroopers, police and firemen.

In the Roman Catholic Church, Saint Michael has four main roles or offices. He is the Christian angel of death, carrying the souls of all the deceased to heaven, where they are weighed in his perfectly balanced scales (hence Michael is often depicted holding scales). At the hour of death, Michael descends and gives each soul the chance to redeem itself before passing, thus blocking the devil and his minions. St Michael is the special patron of the Chosen People in the Old Testament and is guardian of the Church; it was thus not unusual for the angel to be revered by the military orders of knights during the Middle Ages. Last, he is the supreme enemy of Satan and the fallen angels.

There is a caution about the archangels that Catholics should be aware of. The Sacred Scriptures have revealed the proper names of only three Angels, all of whom belong to the Choir of the Archangels. The names are well known to all, namely: Michael, Gabriel, Raphael. Ancient apocryphal literature of the Old Testament contains several other names of Archangels in addition to the three just mentioned. Like the sources themselves, these other names are spurious. Names like Uriel, Raguel, Sariel, and Jeremiel are not found in the canonical books of Sacred Scripture, but in the apocryphal book of Enoch, fourth book of Esdras, and in rabbinical literature. The Church does not permit proper names of Angels that are not found in the canonical books of the Bible. For more information about St. Michael and the Archangels, the mention of St. Michael in the Book of the Prophet Daniel and the reference in the New Testament Book of Jude, go to: http://www.ewtn.com/saintsHoly/saints/A/archangels.asp#ixzz1ZIe14aLC


____________________________

Children and Dogs --

I am in the mood for some of the sweet, doggy pictures -- not sure why -- maybe it is the overcast day and the promise of cooler weather.  Anyway, here are three that I particularly like.  One of them I have shown you previously, but since it is one of my favourites, I thought you wouldn't mind seeing it again!


If this little girl gets just a bit closer, she is going to receive a wet, sloppy kiss from this pup dog!



This is the one I have shown you previously.  My family had a white dog when I was this boy's age and
many was the time I hugged that dog and cried into his fur!  I am very fond of this photo.


I am not really sure that mother will approve of this, but I am sure that the dog will be very pleased!


_____________________

Suki and Sallie

Suki is so clever.  Somehow she has discovered a way to make a particular scratching sound which I really just cannot tolerate.  It bothers me enough so that whenever she starts making that noise, I wake up.  There are other noises she makes as well, but these don't trouble me that much; so once I am able to identify the sound, I can then go back to sleep.  But with this special noise, she wins every time.  As a consequence, I have been getting up at 4:30 every morning since that is the time that her "Queenship" likes to have her breakfast.  Yikes!  What is happening to me?!  Fortunately, I am a retired person and thus am able to take a nap during the day.  Otherwise, I think I would have to be committed soon.  Truly, I have never dealt with such a crafty cat before.  I mean every cat I have ever had could often get their own way after a bit of time and effort, but this one...she is something else.  If there is anyone out there who has real difficulty in getting up in the morning, let me know and I will see if we can arrange the loan of Suki until she gets you well trained!

As for me, I really don't mind getting up so early so long as I have time for a nice daytime nap.  The world is wonderfully quiet at that time of day -- even in the midst of a big city -- and it is a "sweet" time for prayer and meditation. 

Other than getting up early, I am doing fine.  Oh, I still have my usual problems with pain and trying not to fall again; however, I find that neither of these keep me from enjoying myself and the life God has given me.  I had an enjoyable time this morning with a dear friend and her sister (who is visiting from out west) and then tomorrow I will be meeting a special young friend (I call her my adopted daughter) for a visit.  So, you can see that my life is full of blessings in spite of the physical difficulties.  No news yet on when my sister and her husband might be able to come for a visit, but my brother-in-law is "checking the loads" every day -- so, maybe soon.
______________________

Special Photo

This adorable little boy is the son of a special acquaintance of mine.  I have seen so many delightful photos of this sweet boy that I finally asked her if she would mine my posting one of the photos on my blog.  So, here he is, glowing with life and demonstrating a deep love for watermelon!


G.C. at 20 months 



_________________________________

New Flower Drawing

Plumeria "Fruit Salad"

 St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle...
May the peace of God be with us all.



No comments: