Thursday, 20 October 2011

The Last of the Dahlias


Dahlia, Unknown species, drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2011

Here is another of the cactus-variety of Dahlia.  I have no idea what its other identifier is other than it is surely one of the many, many cultivars found in this huge group of flowering plants.  As you may recall from my posting of a few weeks ago, "Dahlias are a group of flowering tuberous-rooted plants that belong to the aster/daisy family of plants. Dahlias have been hybridized extensively, and there are now more than 20,000 cultivars of this showy Central and South American native plant. Flowers range in size from as small as 2 inches wide to as large as 10 inches wide. Colors come in pinks, white, reds, orange and purple and combinations of all of these."

You may recall a similar drawing from last year.  It, too, was a "cactus" Dahlia.  I was not certain of its species or cultivar either.  You can see the similarities in the drawing posted below.



Somehow I don't think it matters that much for people such as myself as I am really mainly interested in making certain that I draw the flower correctly.  I mean with 36 species and 20,000 cultivars, identifying a single blossom is almost impossible for a "laywoman" like myself.

Dahlia, Unknown species, drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2011 (using solarization)

 And, I am sure you are not surprised to see a variation of my drawing using my fancy software.  The above effect was achieved using the "solarization" option.  It is not very interesting, I think, other than the beautiful greens.


___________________________

MARIAN CELEBRATION
A member of the African Catholic community in Salt Lake City, Utah contacted me a few months ago regarding the icon I did of Our Lady of Sudan.  I was happy to share my drawing with them as they wanted to use it to make a banner for the celebration on October 16th.  I just received an email from them on Tuesday which included the photo shown below

Salt Lake City African Community at Marian Festival, October 16, 2011


Icon, Our Lady of Sudan, drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2011
It is such a great joy to share my drawings with others as the requests come in since I never know what God is going to do with each drawing as I send it out to be used by others.  It is very exciting to consider that souls may be touched, deeply, by viewing a drawing in a particular setting surrounded in love by the members of their parish community.

 _____________________________________

SOME DELIGHTFUL PHOTOS
I continue to receive delightful photographs from various friends and I thoroughly enjoy selecting ones to share on my blog.

1)  This first photo of a duckling having a conversation with a great ape is such a sweet picture.  How pleased the ape appears to be with his conversational partner.  I wonder what they are saying!  When I first saw this photo I thought "oh, here we have a simian St. Francis -- how wonderful"! 

With friends, differences don't matter.


2)  I always enjoy photos of Pandas.  Like almost all bear photos they are funny without even meaning to be.  A friend sent me a bunch of new Panda photographs which I will be sharing with you in time.  This one, however, is one that I have had for a while and just happened to remember tonight as I was gathering photos to show you.  What makes this one so funny to me is the fact that this difficult climb seems so pointless as there is nothing ahead of the bear to make all that effort worthwhile!  Silly bears.  Maybe they are like cats and just want to climb to the highest spot they can find -- a perch from which to look down upon the world!


"Do you remember why you wanted to get up here in the first place?"



3)  Finally, I want to show you the following which I received from my nephew's wife, Michelle.  Do you remember the song and Boy George?  I find the word play using symbols and a photo to be delightful.  I hope you enjoy it as well.


Do you remember this song?
 ____________________________________

SALLIE AND SUKI

Well, the cat is quiet for the moment and appears to be asleep; however, I know that the minute I get up, Suki will come a'running talkin' and meowin' up a storm! 

The above sentence was written last night just before I finally admitted to myself that I was sooo sleepy and just couldn't finish this posting right then no matter how much I wanted to.  So, this newest addition to my blog is about 12 hours late!  BTW, I was right about Suki -- as soon as I stood up, it was just like someone turned on an electric switch!  She was up and waiting for me when I reached the kitchen -- sitting right next to her food dish!

This morning she is right next to me in my recliner just sleeping away the hours after a big breakfast.  I, also, had a big breakfast and would love to be sitting in that same chair taking a little snooze myself; however, I want to get this posting finished before it gets any later -- and besides, Suki would be rather upset if I moved her!  Seriously, I would move her if I really wanted to sit down -- I would move her right onto my lap where she would continue sleeping happily.  Ah, the joys of a lap-cat.

As for me, I am doing reasonably well.  I have had a number of close calls but no real falls -- for this I am extremely grateful.  As well, I have been very busy organizing all my Rosary icons.  A Catholic Church in Texas requested permission to use all my Rosary icons in a Lectio Divina publication for use in their parish [Lectio Divina is Latin for divine reading, spiritual reading, or "holy reading," and represents a traditional Catholic practice of prayer and scriptural reading intended to promote communion with God and to increase in the knowledge of God's Word. It is a way of praying with Scripture that calls one to study, ponder, listen and, finally, pray and even sing and rejoice from God's Word, within the soul.]  The Rosary files had gotten scattered over time since the publication of my book ROSARY ICONS in 2009 as I used them in various postings and publications.  As well, I just couldn't help "cleaning" them up a tiny bit as I brought them all together.  They will also want to use the Stations icons eventually, I believe.  Anyway, I will receive a copy of the publication and at that time I will share pages from it on my blog.  As I mentioned earlier when talking about the Marian celebration in Salt Lake City, I continue to receive requests from churches and charitable organizations who want to use one of my icons in some way or another.  As I do not charge such groups for the use of the icons, any organization can afford to use them.  I feel so very blessed when this happens -- blessed and very grateful to God.

______________________

FINAL PHOTOGRAPH FOR THIS POSTING


Hang in there, little frog!
 As most of you are aware, I am very fond of amphibians, lizards, snakes, etc. and I always delight in good photographs of these various creatures.  I posted a similar photo recently of a frog in a similar position as the one above; however, I really like this one because  the frog is hanging onto a lovely flower.  So, I get two of my favourite things in one photograph.  BTW, if anyone knows what kind of flower is shown in this photo, please let me know as I would really like to do a bit of research on it.  Thanks.


Until the next posting, may the peace of God be with us all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sallie: Just a note of congratulations on your Our Lady of Sudan as adopted by the Utah group of African Americans celebrating their Marian Festival. It must be gratifying to know that your good work is being appreciated by a number of parishes around the world. As you state in your blog, one never knows where or when such beautiful art will touch the lives and souls of others. Of your many talents, Sallie, this one (in my view, at least) tops all the others. Keep up the good work!

Eugene

Anonymous said...

Dear Sallie,
Congratulations!!!  I was reading your blog and read about the African Catholic community in Salt Lake City and the church in Texas contacting you.  How do they find out about you?  I am so happy for you!!!!!
With love,
R