Friday, 7 October 2011

St. Teresa of Jesus (Avila)



Icon, St. Teresa of Jesus (Avila), drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2011


Here is a new icon of St. Teresa of Jesus (also known as St. Teresa of Avila).  As you may recall, I posted a drawing I had done of St. Teresa using an oil painting of the saint as my model.  This was posted back on March 28th of this year.  I was never satisfied with that drawing, especially since it was not really an icon at all.  So, I have been planning to do another drawing of her for some time now and this is the result of my latest effort.

In the background of this drawing is my attempt at depicting a Spanish castle.  What is the significance of this -- for in icons everything within the sacred space must have a reason for being there.  Well, as most of you have guessed, it is there because of one of St. Teresa's most famous books on the spiritual life.  This book is entitled, El Castillo Interior (The Interior Castle) or Las Moradas (The Mansions) and was written by St. Teresa of Avila in 1577. According to contemporary accounts, St. Teresa had a revelation from God of a crystal globe in the shape of a castle containing seven mansions. This is St. Teresa's interpretation of that vision, describing the journey of faith through seven stages, ending with union with God.

For more information on this Doctor of the Church, please go to my posting of March 28 or to Wikipedia at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teresa_of_%C3%81vila


________________________________

TODAY IS THE "FEAST" OF OUR LADY OF THE ROSARY, and since I don't have an icon of Our Lady under this title, I decided instead to post the pages I made for my first book, Rosary Icons.

As  I recall, at the time I had not planned on putting the information in the book on how to pray the Rosary and the prayers of the Rosary, but the friends who were giving me their thoughts on what the book should contain all felt that I should include the following two pages.  I thought it might be of interest to post them in my blog on this day when we remember both the Rosary and the Queen of the Rosary, our Blessed Mother Mary.


The instructions on how to pray the Rosary (taken from Rosary Icons book by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer)


The Prayers of the Rosary (taken from Rosary Icons book by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer) 


____________________________________

Feeling Squirrelly

For some reason, I am feeling a bit squirrelly tonight -- meaning I feel like posting some cute photos of squirrels.  Unfortunately, one of the cutest photos in my "squirrelly" collection could not be posted as the quality of the copy is too poor to be transferred from my file to my blog site.  However, these are really cute as well -- in my opinion.  I hope you enjoy them.


"Gertrude, please marry me -- I will love you forever and ever -- or at least until next spring!"


"What are you doing in my house, you naughty squirrel?"
"You better not have made a mess in there!"


"bmmmm -- ysssss -- kmmm" (translation:  "my mouth is full")
These are the sounds you make when your dentist or dental hygienist asks you a question
while their hands are in your mouth! 


Are you sure you have enough nuts to carry? 

_______________________________

Suki and Sallie

You should have seen me this evening, sneaking around the kitchen, trying to be as quiet as a mouse.  Why on earth would I think that I could be so quiet that a cat couldn't hear me?  I mean, we know that their hearing is phenomenal.  Nonetheless, there I was thinking that if I was just quiet enough, Suki wouldn't hear me!

What I was hoping to accomplish was to get my simple Friday night supper ready and sit down and eat it in peace.  There I was almost ready to eat my meal while it was hot when I heard the dreaded sound:  that demanding meow which means Suki is awake and on her way to the kitchen.  I told her "no, not now" and I told her this very forcefully.  She only sat there looking at me as if she had suddenly become hard of hearing.  I not only told her no, not now, but went on to tell her that this time I really meant it.  I said that I was going to eat my supper while it was hot and then I would feed her.  During all this, Suki said not a word (meow) but only sat and looked at me with her most pitiful look.  As I continued to sit there eating my food, she jumped up on the other stool just across from me and watched me take each bite, moving her head the way tennis fans do when they are watching a tennis match.  Well, you know how all this ended -- I finally couldn't take the staring any longer so I left my meal, got up, found her dish, fixed her food and set it before her.  She began eating with gusto while I returned to my now cold meal which I ate while laughing at myself over all that has transpired -- once again.

I am doing well.  I have had a number of "spells" that often lead to my falling, but thus far I have managed to stay upright -- for which I am very grateful.  Otherwise I been busy doing my usual activities and I was even able to get to noon Mass a couple of days this week and to the gym twice.  So, as you can see, I am managing really well -- other than having to constantly monitor how I am feeling so that I don't allow one of the "seizures" to sneak up on me.  However, I try to leave all that in God's hands and just continue enjoying this life He has given me!

I won't be posting again until next Tuesday or Wednesday so I will take this opportunity to wish all my Canadian readers a Happy Thanksgiving!  We do, indeed, have so much to be thankful for. 

St. Teresa of Jesus, pray for us, and may the peace of God be with us all.

No comments: