Monday, 21 November 2011

More Tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill"



Tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2011

 Here is another version of Tillandsia cyanea or Pink Quill, a species of flowering plant in the Bromeliad family, subfamily Tillandsioideae. An epiphyte* native to Ecuador, T. cyanea is among the most commonly cultivated bromeliad species. The foliage grows in a rosette of thin, recurved leaves with a plume of pink or red bracts from which violet flowers emerge. *[An epiphyte (or air plants) is a plant that grows upon another plant (such as a tree) non-parasitically or sometimes upon some other objects (such as a building or a telegraph wire), derives its moisture and nutrients from the air and rain and sometimes from debris accumulating around it, and is found in the temperate zone (as many mosses, liverworts, lichens and algae) and in the tropics (as many ferns, cacti, orchids, and bromeliads)] definition taken from Wikipedia.


As mentioned above, Tillandsias are epiphytes in their native Ecuador and have small roots, mainly used for anchoring themselves on trees. Because the roots don't drink up water, these tree-dwelling plants gather moisture and nutrients through their leaves and bracts.

Tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill",
drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2011


REMINDER OF PREVIOUS DRAWING:


You may not recall the drawing of this same plant I did some months ago so to refresh your memory, here it is.  At the time I posted it, I mentioned that this plant also has lovely blossoms and that I was already working on another drawing which would show the blossoms.  I finally got around to finishing it!






As usual, I could not resist playing around with this drawing on my funny software.  The original drawing, shown just above, actually had its most popular form in one of the versions I developed using the funny software.  So, just to remind you of that, here is the modified drawing.
Tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill",
drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2011











So now let me show you the modified versions I ended  up with for this drawing.  There are three of them.  One was accomplished by using "colour inversion" which provides some lovely, pastel colours. 

The second version was created using the familiar "solarization" technique.  It was actually this particular software choice that created the popular version of that first drawing immediately above.  This time, the solarization software did not create a modified image with the same kind of attractive appeal as the original drawing.

The third is a version achieved by using something called "Hue correction". 

Anyway, I have confused you enough so let me just show you the modified images and let us get on with it!



Tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2011
Colour Inversion Software
 
Tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2011
Solarization Software

Tillandsia cyanea "Pink Quill", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2011
Hue Correction

Now, what would be really kind of my readers -- would be to tell me what you think of these various versions or, at the very least, which version you like best.  Just a one sentence comment in the comments section -- that would be so nice.  Thanks.

_____________________________

SOME DIFFERENT AND UNUSUAL PHOTOGRAPHS




Lightning/rain storm with sunshine (the Devil's beating his wife)
 Where I grew up, we had an expression that we used whenever it rained while the sun was shining.  People said:  "Oh, the Devil is beating his wife again!"  Since I had no idea why we said that, I looked it up on Wikipedia and this is what I found:  " In the United States, particularly the South, a sunshower is said to show that "the devil is beating his wife"; a regional variant from Tennessee is "the devil is kissing his wife". In Canada, it's typically related to the devil beating his wife, then marrying numerous offspring."  Apparently, throughout the world, sunshowers are related to something bad happening or about to happen.  If you are interested in seeing all the variations, just put "the devil is beating his wife" into your search engine and see them all.



Red Hole in the sky -- is someone coming or going?
 I really would like to know more about this photograph and the one following.  I assume that they are both caused by some sort of weather pattern, but I have never seen either one.  They appear to be natural although there could be some sort of photoshopping going on here.  If you know what is happening in either photo, please let me know.  Thanks.


Another hole in the sky (or clouds actually) -- just what is going on here?
 


This is a photo taken in west Texas -- there is no ground fire, the fire in in the clouds!
 

A cloud sitting on a mountain top -- or could it be a spaceship?  Look at all that ancient light from the stars!
 Here is another strange looking cloud.  Once again, I have no idea of what is going on and would be very interested in finding out.  I really enjoy looking at the sky which appears to be full of stars but which is really full of starlight from eons past.  We are looking at the ancient past, not the present moment.  This is one more case where appearance and reality are not one and the same.

_______________________________

SUKI AND SALLIE

Believe it or not, Suki has not done anything unusual, destructive or vindictive since my last post.  I am watching her closely just in case she is ill.  But so far, all she is doing is her normal eating and  sleeping and eating and sleeping and sleeping.  You get the picture!

As for me, I am just enjoying getting a bit more sleep (thanks to Suki sleeping more) and preparing myself, mentally, for the onset of real winter weather.  It is always a good idea, I find, to start reminding myself that the days are coming when I won't be able to get out to do my usual errands and so I need to start stocking up on supplies to make certain my cupboard is full.  There may even be days when I won't be able to get across the street to the gym.  But that would take a really big snow storm (the kind where you have to call out the army for help!!) and I doubt that we are going to ever have another one of those storms.  8-)   [this is a Canadian joke about snow storms and the army]

Otherwise, I am trying to get myself in gear to start doing some preparations for Christmas.  I need to get busy as I haven't even decided which icon I will be using for my Christmas card this year.  Although I no longer send out many cards, there are those few people that I can't contact by email and who still really appreciate getting one of my special cards.  I also need to get busy and write a Christmas letter to each of my "adopted" girls.  That needs to be done very soon, actually, as those letters have to be sent early since they are going to foreign countries via the agency, CHALICE, through whom I sponsor the girls.

So, with all that in mind, I think it would be wise for me to finish off here and go and do some work on the letters!

Remember to pray for all the holy souls during this month of November.



May the peace and love of God be with us all.

No comments: