Saturday, 31 December 2011

Happy New Year, 2012

Dahlia, Red Orange, drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2011
I am posting another flower drawing tonight rather than a new icon.  The reason for this is that it is New Year's Eve and I don't feel like it is the best time to be trying to get your attention with too many details about another saint.  As well, I do not even intend to give you any details about the particular Dahlia that I have drawn.  I have posted a number of different Dahlias in the past couple of years and I figure if you really want more information, you can take a look back (see postings for 4/13/09; 9/30/09; 7/16/11; 10/11/11 and 10/20/11).  I really included this new drawing because it seemed to be a fitting flower for ringing in the New Year, 2012.  So enjoy this "red/orange" Dahlia while you sip your champagne and sing Auld Lang Syne!

_______________________

JANUARY 1, 2012


Here is a photo I came across this week that seems to be a fitting photo for the first day of a new year.  So many parts of the Northern U.S. and Southern Canada have snow or will be getting snow tomorrow night that I thought an early morning snow scene was just the right touch for putting in my New Year's posting.

___________________________________________

NEW YEARS' GREETINGS


As well, I thought I would wish everyone a Happy New Year in four different languages.  First, a greeting in French ---


Here are two different English greetings.  I figured I should have two instead of one as this is an English-language blog!


Here we have Happy New Year in Spanish.  And, finally, we have Happy New Year in Polish!



_____________________________________

SUKI AND SALLIE


Suki wanted me to include this drawing which shows her practising her French.  She is actually getting quite good and her accent sounds almost à la parisienne
Seeing as how it is New Year's Eve, I have been asking Suki throughout the day exactly what she planned to do for the New Year -- her New Year's resolution?  Each time I questioned her, she would look at me sleepily, yawn and turn over and go back to sleep!  I was beginning to feel as though she was trying to ignore me which left me feeling a bit upset.  But, then, I suddenly realized that she was probably giving me her answer in sign language since she knows how difficult it is for me to understand her meows -- especially when she is speaking French!  Then I understood -- her plan for the New Year is to get more sleep!

But then I begin to wonder if I had really understand as I truly do not see how she can get more sleep each day and still have time to eat, play just a little bit and pester me during the night!  I guess I will just have to wait and see if she does anything differently starting tomorrow.

I spent some time today thinking about what my New Year's resolution might be.  I thought of several things that I am not doing too well at the moment, but then I recalled that I had been doing well at those things before I started falling so much.  It seems that just when I start getting my life back on track, I have another fall.  So, the obvious resolution for me then is to resolve not to fall any more!  Of course, as you might suspect, this is easier said than done -- especially since no one has yet figured out exactly why I am falling in the first place!

I do feel I have a somewhat better understanding of the mechanism of this falling business in my particular situation and while I cannot completely control all the various elements I think are involved, I can control a couple of them -- especially the need to refrain from letting myself get overly tired.  I now understand that there are two aspects that I can and must control.  The first is to rest and even nap whenever I start feeling very tired and the second is to never have anything alcoholic to drink -- not even on my birthday.  The second one is really fairly easy as I realized some time ago that alcohol combined with my medication could be very dangerous.  The first one is a problem, however, as I hate to stop what I am doing and go and take a rest or a nap.  If anyone has any suggestions about how I can better discipline myself in this matter, I would appreciate hearing from you.  Maybe there should be some kind of gadget I could wear that would beep loudly when I start nodding off at the computer, for example, and wouldn't stop beeping until I went and stretched out for a rest!  I will have to ask my friend, Charles, the inventor, and see if he can invent something along these lines.  That would be great.
Otherwise, my goals for this coming year are the same as they were for the past year:  to keep seeking to discern and then do the will of God in all things.  There is a story about Thomas Merton who was walking along the streets of Manhattan with his close friend.  The two of them had just recently become Catholics.  Merton's friend asked him what he wanted to do with his life.  Merton replied, "Oh, I guess I want to be the best Catholic I can be."  His friend responded quickly, "No, Tom, that isn't good enough.  You should want to be a saint!"  Merton said later that until that particular point in time he had not really realized that we are all called to be saints, every single one of us -- nothing less than saints.  So, I suppose that this should be THE New Year's resolution for each and every one of us. 

______________________________________

So, 2011 comes to an end.  Let us say thanks to God for all that has been, no matter how different it was from what we had hoped it would be.  As St. Paul says, "In all things give thanks".
May the peace of God be with us AND may the coming year be filled with blessings for us and all our dear ones.

Happy New Year everyone.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Happy New Year, and I hope to continue to enjoy your posts all year!
The problem of not wanting to stop and rest is one many people have. The best solution is to avoid the problem by having scheduled rest times, every day at a particular time. Then it becomes a habit.
May 2012 have many blessings for you!

Sallie (Sarah) said...

Deb: Thanks so much for your New Year greeting. Stopping to rest is really critical for me, but even so, I still have such a difficult time disciplining myself -- especially if I am working on a drawing! I will take your advice, however, and try to stick to a schedule. Maybe I should paste a copy of the photo my friend took a few days after my last fall to my computer screen to constantly remind myself of what can happen if I don't get the rest I need. Thanks for the good advice. Sallie