Wednesday, 7 December 2011

Passiflora hyacinthiflora



Passiflora hyacinthiflora (oil paint option),drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2011

I could find almost no specific information on Passiflora hyacinthiflora. There are so many species of Passiflora, only the most well-known are given space in the various encyclopedias I consulted. Thus, I decided to just provide you with some general information on the genus itself.

As you may recall, I have drawn previous examples of Passion Flowers. They are all fascinating in that they appear, to me, to be plants that could never decide exactly what they wanted to be "when they grew up" and are thus keeping all options open as evidenced by things sticking up this way and that!

Passiflora, known also as the passion flowers or passion vines, is a genus of about 500 species of flowering plants, the namesakes of the family Passifloraceae. They are mostly vines, with some being shrubs, and a few species being herbaceous.

The family Passifloraceae is found worldwide, except Antarctica. Nine species of Passiflora are native to the USA, found from Ohio to the north, west to California and south to the Florida Keys. Most other species are found in South America, China, and Southern Asia, New Guinea, four or more species in Australia and a single endemic species in New Zealand. New species continue to be identified: for example, P. pardifolia and P. xishuangbannaensis (how would you pronounce that?!) have only been known to the scientific community since 2006 and 2005, respectively.

The Passion fruit or maracujá (Passiflora edulis) is cultivated extensively in the Caribbean and south Florida and South Africa for its fruit, which is used as a source of juice. A small purple fruit which wrinkles easily and a larger shiny yellow to orange fruit are traded under this name. Maypop (P. incarnata), a common species in the southeastern U.S. The fruit is sweet, yellowish, and roughly the size of a chicken's egg; it enjoys some popularity as a native plant with edible fruit and few pests.

One aspect of Passiflora, which I mentioned in a post some time ago, is the reason why "passion" is part of its proper name.  When the plants were first seen by the Europeans, they saw in their strange and wonderful design various elements of the Passion of Our Lord.  There is plenty of information about this online if you don't recall (or can't locate) what I posted to the blog previously.
As you may have noticed, the one variation I created with my funny software is shown at the beginning of this posting.  This was made by selecting the option called "oil paint".  Below is the original drawing with no special effects.


Passiflora hyacinthiflora,drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2011


As is often the case, I cannot decide which of the two I like better.  I would ask for comments on this from my viewing public, but since I rarely get any response, I won't!



__________________________________________

Your Cat's View of the World

I had a wonderful luncheon today with my friend, Eugene.  He was kindly helping me to continue the long-term celebration of my birthday (which actually occurs on December 14th).  As part of today's celebration, Eugene brought me a card that he had made in consultation with his beautiful cat, Desi.  I want to show you the newest photo I now have of Desi, the cat, as well as the information she passed along to Eugene about a cat's view of the world.  I hope you will enjoy this wisdom as much as I do.



___________________________

A Funny Christmas Photograph from Facebook 



The family in the white house will certainly be saving a lot of money on hydro this Christmas!



________________________________________

SUKI and SALLIE

Suki playing in the water


SUKI:  Well, Suki doesn't have too much to say at the moment because she is not speaking to me!  I know you find it hard to believe that this sweet kitty of mine could be upset with me, but she is.  Why?  Simply because I forced her to stop playing in the water left on the shower floor after my shower was finished!

This is a cat who had a bath the day I brought her home from the Humane Society, but has resisted almost any contact with water ever since.  In fact, she does not even like to drink water and gets most of her daily liquid intake from the gravy in the food I feed her.  Let a single drop of water fall on her and she acts as though she is an abused cat.  Well, last night, I was sitting in my chair watching a bit of TV on Salt & Light TV when here comes Suki , jumping into my lap.  Immediately I was aware of something very wet.  Horrified, I thought she was wetting me instead of using her litter box.  I quickly discovered, however, that she was simply wet... her tail, her paws and her belly were all soaking wet and she seemed to be oblivious to this.  I was very puzzled as to how this could have occurred and did a bit of detective work only to find evidence that she had been in the still wet shower.  I spoke to her severely about this and told her "no more" (see item number 10 in the list above).

The next thing I knew, she was back in the shower again -- I knew this because I heard her splashing away in there in the puddle of water around the drain.  This time I went and removed her from the shower, dried her off, told her "no" several more times and shooed her out of the bathroom.  Then I took her towel and actually dried off the shower floor (remember I have a wheelchair apartment which means no bathtub, just a roll-in shower stall).  By this point she seemed to have lost interest.  However, when I had my shower today, I decided to pre-empt any problems by drying the shower floor as part of my exit strategy from the bathroom.  I then went to my computer desk and listened to see what Suki would do.  I heard her go running into the bathroom.  Next I heard the rustle of the shower curtains.  Finally, I heard the sound of Suki bursting out from the shower, out through the bathroom door, appearing almost instantly in front of my computer where I sat working away.  It was obvious that she was not happy.  She glared at me for a moment or two and then, without saying a word, turned and stalked off into the living room where she has been ever since.

I might be worried that she will be angry with me forever; however, I know for certain that as soon as I head for the kitchen before bedtime, she will come running, begging for her bedtime snack.  But for now, she is giving me the cold shoulder.  What a funny cat!
SALLIE:  As for me, I have no new medical news to report.  In fact, the only medical appointment I have scheduled for this week was this morning when I went to see the chiropractor.  He does a wonderful job of helping me to experience a little less pain for a half day or so which is always a welcome bonus.

Otherwise, I have been celebrating my birthday! 

For those of you who do not know me personally, I should explain what is going on here.  Many years ago I decided that since having a December birthday means I frequently get one card saying "happy birthday and Merry Christmas" and only one gift with the explanation that "I knew you wouldn't mind if I gave you one gift for your birthday and Christmas", that I would compensate by trying to make my birthday last for at least 9 days -- sort of like a novena!  So, on Monday I met a friend for afternoon coffee, on Tuesday another friend brought lunch with her and we ate and visited at my place and today, as I mentioned earlier, I met my friend, Eugene for lunch.  I have received cards and/or gifts on each day, but the most important part of each day has been the opportunity to visit with a particular friend.  For example, the friend I saw yesterday I have not seen since last Christmas when we did the same thing the week before my birthday!  The next big birthday celebration occurs on Sunday.  Then my friend from Alabama arrives the day before my birthday and who knows what else may happen between now and the actual day itself! 

FEAST DAY:  Tomorrow is one of Our Lady's special feast days.  If the weather co-operates, I hope to make it to the noon Mass at the Cathedral.  May you all have a joyful Feast of the Immaculate Conception of Our Lady.

Now, may the peace of God be with us all.

No comments: