Monday, 19 March 2012

Acca sellowiana -- Feijoa

Acca sellowiana (formerly known as Feijoa sellowiana)
drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012

The edible fruit of Acca sellowiana
(formerly known as Feijoa sellowiana)
Acca sellowiana originally known as Feijoa sellowiana is a species of flowering plant in the myrtle family (Myrtaceae) and is native to the highlands of southern Brazil, Colombia, Uruguay, and northern Argentina. Common names include feijoa, pineapple guava and guavasteen. It is an evergreen, perennial shrub or small tree, 1–7 metres (3.3–23 ft) in height, widely cultivated as a garden plant and fruiting tree.  Flowers appear late, from May through June. Each flower contains four to six fleshy flower petals that are white tinged with purple on the inside. These petals are mildly sweet and edible and can make a refreshing addition to spring salads. It has been said that feijoa pollen is transferred by birds that are attracted to and eat the flowers, but bees are the chief pollinators.

The German botanist Otto Karl Berg named feijoa after João da Silva Feijó, a Portuguese botanist born in the colony of Brazil. The fruit, maturing in autumn, is green and about the size of a chicken egg. It has a sweet, aromatic flavor. The fruit pulp resembles the closely related guava, having a gritty texture. The feijoa pulp is used in some natural cosmetic products as an exfoliant. 

My drawing (above) is the "topographic" version which has been lightened until the colours resemble those of the original drawing.  I prefer this version as the software enhances all the straight lines in a way that I am not able to do with my freehand drawing tools.  I just wanted everyone to know since, otherwise, it would seem so unusual for me to post a flower drawing without showing any other versions using my funny software!

______________________________________________

SILLY CARTOONS

Some of these may be familiar to you as I found them circulating on the Internet.  However, these particular ones were all new to me and all but one relate to me in a humorous way.  I hope you find a chuckle or two here.


At this point in my life, the working segment is smaller,
the sleeping segment is bigger and the "looking for things" section
is now, for me, at least half the pie!


Thankfully, the continual conflict about the seat up or down is no
longer a part of my life.  I do have a comment, however.  If I
was this guy, the instant I discovered the answer to my question,
I would just grab my coat and get out of that house as quickly as possible!


The doctor's response in this cartoon is very depressing.
I had already convinced myself that I was getting lots of exercise,
burning lots of calories, by raising my foot rest up and down while
watching TV!


This cartoon is one of my favourites.  I mean, how would you have the
heart to send back lasagna and garlic bread which had been brought to
you by "mistake".  I mean, it would be unkind to the waiter and to the chef.
Besides that, you wouldn't want anyone to get into trouble!


And, finally, we have here a pillow that contains a motto which
expresses, succinctly, a very strongly held belief of mine.  Not only does
Chocolate (dark) provide a person with a balanced diet, it also gives you
a balanced personality leading to improved memory (see cartoon #1)


__________________________________________________

SUKI AND SALLIE

As I started to put my camera
away after taking some photos
of friends, I thought "why not
take a new photo of Suki?"  I
called her name as I rounded the
corner and found Suki waiting
for me with a big smile on her face
(see photo above; imagine smile)!
The most amazing thing has occurred -- ever since I carefully balanced that coat hanger on the bath bench (see previous posting), Suki has made no attempt to remove the shower drain cover!  What is happening?  Just how clever is this cat?

There is a new behaviour to report, however.  Now, whenever anyone knocks on my front door or people get too noisy in the hallway, Suki gets up from her sleep, growls, really growls ominously, and goes to investigate.

Then, if she decides the situation is just too much for her to handle, she quickly pulls open one of the sliding doors to either the hallway or the bedroom closet and disappears for an hour or two! 

This behaviour can also occur if and when I open my balcony door to let in a bit of "fresh" air.  The sudden sound of outdoor noises invading her space seems to leave Suki quite perturbed.  At this point she either growls and heads for the closet or just heads directly for the closet with no stop for growling!

I am not sure what is going on here.  The problem may be that my apartment is amazingly quiet so long as the doors and windows are closed so the sudden increase in noise levels may simply be frightening.  Thank goodness I have central a/c or else the poor cat would spend her entire spring and summer hiding in the closet as the windows and doors would have to be open!

As for me, I am doing well considering all the things that are wrong with me!  Actually, today I am doing exceedingly well with my thoughts full of gratitude to our wonderful Lord and St. Joseph.  Let me explain.

I rarely try to go out for any length of time these days since I never know when these extreme tired spells are going to strike.  Today, however, I really needed to mail the Easter cards to my foster children, mail my tax stuff to the accountant and also drop off some material at the Cathedral parish office.  Since the office is not accessible to wheelchairs, I had arranged with the Pastoral Assistant that I would call her when I got to the front door and she would come out and take the parcel from me and then pass it along to the Cardinal.  All worked as planned and as we chatted for a few minutes, enjoying this marvellous weather we are having, she suddenly asked me if I would like to receive Holy Communion. 

What a wonderful question. You can imagine how quickly I said "yes".  She said she realized how much I missed coming to Mass due to my health and so she would see if Father was available.  He was.  They arranged that he would bring Our Lord to me sitting out under the trees in front of the Church office.  It was a very special moment and I really felt almost overwhelmed by the knowledge of how much God loves me plus the feeling that St. Joseph may have played a part in this gift since I received it on his feast day.  Even though I was in my wheelchair, it felt almost as though I was floating on air all the way home.

 So let me end today's posting with this icon of St. Joseph and the prayer
St. Joseph,
Feast Day March 19th
icon by
Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2010
that so many Catholic children learned by heart during the years the sisters were teaching in Catholic schools:  St. Joseph's Memorare.

Remember, O most chaste spouse of the Virgin Mary, that never was it known that any who implored your help and sought your intercession were left unassisted. Full of confidence in your power, I fly unto you, and beg your protection. Despise not, O foster-father of the Redeemer, my humble supplication but in your bounty hear and answer me. Amen.

May the peace of God be with us all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A touching tip of the hat and many thanks and blessings for it. Glad to hear about your getting to receive Communion on the Feast Day of St. Joseph! I’m glad to hear your health had returned enough to let you enjoy the improved weather. Hopefully the schedule with the cardiologist and the increased exposure to outdoors is a sign of things on the up and up. I know it’s a lot of work for you, but if it gets you on the mend it’s worth it.
I’ll try to keep up on the reading of your blog.
PJP

Lynn said...

ah, just viewing your blog for the first time
beauty (your gorgeous drawing), humor ever so reality based, and facts new to me - cool