Tuesday, 27 March 2012

A Floral Bouquet


Primula auricula "green", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012

Primula auricula, often known as simply Auricula, is commonly called mountain cowslip or bear's ear (from the shape of its leaves).  It is a species of primrose that grows on basic rocks in the mountain ranges of central Europe, including the western Alps, Jura, the Vosges, the Black Forest and the Tatra mountains. Auriculas are members of the Genus Primula which is a large family of plants comprising over 425 species and many thousands of hybrids. The Auriculas first appeared in European gardens around the middle of the sixteenth century.  I find the variety of Auricula species fascinating with their various but similar ornate flower designs.

Clerodendrum ugandense, Rotheca myricoides, drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012

Clerodendrum ugandense, Rotheca myricoides -- Family: Verbenaceae. Common names: Butterfly Clerodendrum, Blue Butterfly Bush, Blue Glory Bower, Blue Wings. Origin: Tropical Africa, Kenya and Uganda. Sky blue flowers -- an unusual color for the tropics -- looking like butterflies . The irregular flowers are bright blue, in two different shades of blue and are produced more or less continuously throughout the summer and fall. Flowers have long purple anthers which bend elegantly upwards.  I am not sure how "elegantly" the anthers I have drawn bend upwards, but they are interesting flowers.  I can only imagine what a plant would look like in full bloom -- as though bright blue butterflies had suddenly landed, covering everything with their beauty.  By the way, I really like the cup-like mature leaves.


Cryptostegia madagascariensis, drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012

Cryptostegia madagascariensis -- Common name: Madagascar rubbervine. These plants contain rubber, but aren't commercially used for its production. Cryptostegia is a genus of flowering plants in the dogbane family, Apocynaceae. It consists of three species of thin, many-stemmed, woody, perennial vines native to tropical Africa and Madagascar. The milky sap, that oozes from the stems or leaves, is extremely toxic to all livestock. It contains cardiac glycosides which causes sudden death after exercise. Though the sap is also some quality latex, there is no commercial use for its production. These evergreen plants are grown for their showy ornamental vines. They are vigorous, self-supporting, beautiful vines that could reach 15m in length.  While the vines may be considered beautiful, I am not sure I would be comfortable with such a deadly plant growing in my garden!


Dianthus "Calypso Star", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012

Dianthus (pink) 'Calypso Star'. Family: Caryophyllaceae. Dianthus can be annuals, evergreen perennials or subshrubs with narrow, often grayish leaves and showy flowers that are frequently fragrant. 'Calypso Star' is a compact plant to 30cm tall, with light grey-green leaves and slightly scented, double flowers, the petals deep red-purple with an edging and two blotches of white/pink.  I only realized after writing the description above that my drawing has almost no leaves in it -- I chose to leave out most of the leaves as they overwhelmed the single flower!  I will make certain to include more of them in my next drawing of Dianthus

  _________________________________________________

ODDS AND ENDSNew drawings for various purposes

I often do various drawings that I don't show in my blog simply because they incorporate previous drawings or I just don't have the time to talk about them.  Usually they are part of some other project.  Anyway, here are a few examples of various drawings or arrangements I have done recently.  I hope you find them of interest.

This will be printed for mounting on a large plaque for the new baby soon to arrive in my family.  The icon used is a guardian angel drawing I did a few years ago.
 
This is a holy card I created using one of my icons from a couple of years ago.  Look at the small poster below to see why it was created to be given out before the presentation.
This icon was completed, I believe, back in 2010.  It worked perfectly for the event scheduled.
 
Poster I made for the meeting in March
using the icon shown above

Poster I made for the meeting
coming up in April (see cat drawing below).
There is nothing like a cat to teach us all
how best to stretch and move slowly! 



I needed a Tiger for a birthday card for a young person
born in the Year of the Tiger -- I didn't have such a drawing
so I made one!  Here is the result.

_______________________________________________

SUKI AND SALLIE

Have I ever told you about Suki's two food dishes?  
I found a really nice picture
of a cat stretching and then drew my
own version for use in the poster
shown above.

One dish has dry cat food which is always available.  The other dish is used for the wet food which is only available at certain times each day.  Suki will only eat small amounts of wet food at a time so if I were to give her an entire can at one "sitting", she would eat just a bit and the remainder would be wasted.  Once she finishes with a dish of wet food, whatever remains on the plate is garbage as far as she is concerned -- she would rather go hungry than eat that leftover food.  I have even tried disguising it, but nothing works.  As well, because she is such an energetic eater, I have her wet food dish sitting on a small rubber square so that the plate doesn't slide all over the floor while she is trying to eat.

Back to the two dishes.  Suki really doesn't like dry food but she will eat just a little bit of it when she is desperately hungry.  However, what invariably happens is that she goes to the kitchen and meows a bit to see if I will come and feed her.  When she realizes that I am not paying any attention to her, she will proceed to eat a few of her crunchies.  After she has eaten 4 or 5 and spit out 2or 3 more, she begins to scratch the way she does in her sand box.  Mostly she just scratches the linoleum, but eventually, she gets her claws into the vacant rubber mat which fairly quickly ends up on top of the dry food dish.  By the time she has finished, the small rubber square is covering the dry food dish completely!

I have watched her doing this and it is at this point that she stops, inspects everything carefully and then majestically walks out of the kitchen.  When I am present, she then makes a point of stopping just in front of me and stretching like the cat in the drawing above only she makes certain her back end is towards me.  I am not sure what she is saying by this gesture, but I have some ideas!
 
As for me, I am doing reasonably well.  Let me tell you what happened last Friday, however.  I came very close to getting a wee bit frustrated.

When I got back home last Friday and begin to finish up my blog posting for the 23rd, I just didn't feel like trying to tell you my story of why I ended up not having to have another stress test.  Today, I am feeling much more rested so, here it is.

I arrived on Friday at the place in the hospital where I had gone for my stress test a few weeks ago. The receptionist got a bit flustered because she couldn’t find my name on the list of appointments. Then she noticed on my document that I was scheduled to have the test done in the cardiology department not nuclear medicine. So, off I went to the 7th floor.

After searching, I finally found the receptionist for the stress testing on that floor. I handed her the appointment sheet I had received in the mail. She looked at the sheet, looked up at me, looked back at the sheet and said in a puzzled voice “but you are in a wheelchair”. I felt like saying “what was your first clue?” but I held my tongue and just said “yes”. Since it is still Lent, I was trying very hard not to say what I was actually thinking!  Then she said, “but you can’t run on a treadmill”. This time I said “yes, that is obviously true” -- I just couldn't help myself! She then pronounces “I think we have a problem here”. This time I really risked being a smart aleck, but managed to control myself and say: “If you expected me to run on a treadmill, I think you are absolutely right”.

Off she goes to see the cardiologist’s secretary. She returns shortly saying that I need to see the secretary right away to get everything straightened out. By the time I reach the secretary’s office, she has efficiently called up all my files on the computer and says to me “but you have already had a stress test.” I began again by simply saying, “Yes, I have.” -- working hard to control my tongue.  However, she barely gives me time for a response before she says “well, the results did not arrive with your original referral obviously or else no one would have asked you to repeat a stress test immediately after having one."  I was silent.  I just didn't trust myself enough by this time to risk it. 

Soon after this, the cardiologist, herself, came out and apologized to me for the mix-up and said that once the Holter monitoring was done, she would have everything she needed in preparation for meeting with me for the first time. So, now I wait until Wednesday and go to get fitted out with that little box and all those leads called a Holter monitor which I will then have to wear non-stop for 48 hours. Finally, on Thursday of next week, I will see the doctor.

May the peace of God be with us all.

2 comments:

Deb said...

You showed a lot of self-control! Good for you!

foodtrip-recipe said...

nice post and i like your blog.. keep up the good work!!