Saturday, 28 April 2012

Delonix elata -- Poinciana elata

Delonix elata -- Poinciana elata, drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012

This rare tree is a close relative of the popular Delonix regia (Flame Tree).  It is endemic to India, growing to a height of 20 to 25 feet.  The flowers are white and very fragrant.  In India, the leaves are used as febrifuge (drug that reduces fever), anti-periodic (preventing the periodic recurrence of symptoms or of a disease such as malaria), anti-rheumatic and stimulant. It is of the family:  Caesalpinioideae/ Caesalpiniaceae and its most popular common names are: Mseele, White Poinciana, White Gul Mohur and Vaadhanaaraayanan. Delonix is from the Greek word “delos”, meaning evident and “onux”, a claw in allusion to the shape of the petals; the epithet “elata” means lofty or tall. 


Delonix elata -- Poinciana elata (colour inversion), drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012

As usual, I couldn't resist playing with my fancy software.  I experimented with several of the types of colour manipulation that I often use, but decided that "colour inversion" was the only choice that gave me an image that really appealed to me.

Delonix elata -- Poinciana elata Tree in bloom.
In this photo, you can see what a big tree Delonix is at maturity.  It is probably an amazing experience to catch a whiff of these fragrant blossom when the tree is in full bloom!

__________________________________________

MORE on Saint John of God


Well, the saga continues!  I had a telephone call from my family doctor this week as she had gotten the actual report from the cardiac surgeon who performed the angiogram back on the 19th.  Here is what she told me:

She said the surgeon told her that the vessels of my heart were as “clear as a bell” -- surprisingly so for a woman of my age. He said he did not understand it, but could only assume that all those many tests I had gave a “false-positive” result every time and that seemed to him highly unlikely. In other words, he couldn’t explain what he saw.  I told my doctor that it was all those people praying for me as well as asking St. John of God to intercede on my behalf.  She said I was probably right and to just be thankful.  I am – very thankful as it definitely appears that I have been the recipient of a miracle. Thanks be to God.  And thanks be to all of you who prayed for me.  You, too, share in this wonderful blessing.

Meanwhile, Brother Finnian sent me a package from Ireland which contained some precious gifts.  These included an interesting looking book on the life of St. John of God.  As well, there were a number of holy cards and some booklets giving a brief look at the life of St. John of God.  Take a look...


Holy card from Hospitaller Order of St. John of God


Holy card (back) from Hospitaller Order of Saint John of God


Booklet on the life of St. John of God


Booklet (back) on the life of St. John of God

I have 10 extra holy cards and two extra booklets.  If any of you would like to have one, please send me an email with your address (sallie@ican.net) and I will send it to you.  No charge. 

_______________________________________________

SUKI AND SALLIE


Suki, barely awake, checks out some noise I
have made before going back into a deep sleep
Suki has been sleeping almost constantly since my dear friend, Brenda, left this past Wednesday.  Although she seems to be very fond of Brenda to the point of even sitting in her lap on occasion, allowing her to scratch her head, Suki was not totally relaxed about it all.  Her routine was broken and any of you who know cats, know how much they dislike having any changes in their lives.

While Brenda was here, Suki got less sleep as she had to constantly be checking things out including carefully sniffing everything that Brenda took out of her suitcase.  Frequently during the night she would be up, going back and forth between Brenda sleeping in the living room and Sallie sleeping in the bedroom. 

Today, for example, she has gone into her special place in the back of the bedroom closet and has been sleeping soundly now for some hours.  She did not even get up to ask for her usual noontime meal -- something she rarely ever misses. 

Of course, I have been sleeping a bit more than usual as well.  I wanted Brenda to have as good a visit as possible and to get some rest after the rigours of her recent move from a house into an apartment.  So, I may have pushed myself just a bit more than usual, but it was worth it.  We had such a good time and she seemed to relax and enjoy herself.  The gift of hospitality blesses both the giver and the receiver and I do feel truly blessed -- just a bit tired. 

By Monday, however, I expect to be feeling well rested and I plan to make my first trip back to the gym!  I will have to be careful not to try to exercise as though I had only missed a week or two -- I have not been to the gym to work out since December 14th, 2011 -- my birthday.  That was the day I had my last bad fall and began the long, slow process of recovery which included a stopover at the cardiac unit at St. Mike's!

I am thinking today of the verse attributed to St. Theresa of Avila:

Let nothing trouble you,
let nothing frighten you.
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things.
He who possesses God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.

And now I close with my constant prayer for all my readers as well as for myself:  "May the peace of God be with us all."

No comments: