Sunday, 26 August 2012

A Different Floral Style


Rhododendron ferrugineum, drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012 

The two drawings I want to feature are not different or unusual in and of themselves -- rather, the style in which I have drawn them is different.  I have tried a different technique which reveals the flowers in such a way that it is almost like looking at their "skeletons". 

I have shown you any number of drawings of other Rhododendron and Lilium (see below) but the drawing usually showed just a few flowers and a lot of leaves whereas, these show the entire plant.  I would really enjoy having some feedback on this new style but I know better than to expect too much from my request. However, if you feel so inclined, please send me your comments.

Rhododendron ferrugineum

Rhododendron ferrugineum (sometimes called alpenrose, snow-rose, or rusty-leaved alpenrose) is an evergreen shrub that grows just above the tree line in the Alps, Pyrenees, Jura and northern Apennines. It may grow up to 1 m tall and produces clusters of pinkish-red, bell-shaped flowers throughout the summer. The undersides of the leaves are covered in rust-brown spots, which give the species its scientific name of ferrugineum.

R. ferrugineum is moderately toxic, containing arbutine, aricoline and rhodoxanthine, and can cause vomiting, and difficulties of the digestive, nervous, respiratory and circulatory systems. Family: Ericaceae.


Lilium bulbiferum, drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012

Lilium bulbiferum

Lilium bulbiferum, common names Orange Lily, Fire Lily or Tiger Lily, is a herbaceous perennial plant with underground bulbs, belonging to the genus Lilium of the Liliaceae family. The Latin name bulbiferum of this species, meaning "bearing bulbs", refers to the secondary bulbs on the stem.

Perennial lilies are native to the continental climate of the steppes, the Mediterranean countries, south-east Europe and central Asia.  However, they have "escaped" from gardens in countries with similar climates worldwide and can now be said to be established in many other places.  Evidently, according to people who know these things, this is one of the easiest lilies to grow.  In Japan it is cultivated in large quantities for the edible bulb which is described as tasting something like a sweet potato.

_______________________________________________________

ALL ABOUT BRADEN

Well, I know you are surprised to learn that I have some new photos of this sweet boy!  Recently someone used the expression "doting grandmother syndrome" when describing my behaviour.  What can I say?  It is obviously true.  I confess; I am smitten.  Anyway, here are some of the most recent photographs which will tell you about one of the big events in Braden's life this past week.


"You want me to do what?  Turn over all by myself?!  But I can't... can I?"


"Well, OK.  I guess I could try to turn over all by myself.  Do you really think I can do it?"
"Here goes!"


"Mom!  Look Mom!  I did it all by myself!  You were right, I can do it.  I am a big boy now!"

"Did you take pictures so we can show Dad when he comes home?"
"He will be so proud of me!"


"Meanwhile, I think I had better take another nap.  Turning over all by myself is hard work!"
 ________________________________________________________

SUKI AND SALLIE


Suki safeguarding her chair
Poor Suki has had a difficult week.  I have had four visitors over the past four days -- that is three different visits as 2 of the 4 came together: a grandmother and her granddaughter.

It is not that Suki dislikes having visitors -- she is not like dear miz k.d. who was a natural born hermit who tolerated my presence but suffered greatly when anyone came to visit.  No, Suki is fine with visitors and is often cautiously friendly with them.  The problem is her chair!

Almost immediately after coming to live with me, Suki claimed that chair as hers and even though I have gotten her all sorts of other beds since then, all that has happened is that she claims all those others beds as hers along with the wing-back chair in the living room.

What happens when visitors arrive is that they often head straight for that comfortable looking chair.  When more than one person comes to visit, they will often sit together on the sofa and then I will sit in the chair.  Whatever happens, Suki -- although she may be sound asleep in the closet when the guests arrive -- somehow knows when someone sits down in her chair and this will cause her to get up and come into the living room.

At first, everyone is happy to see her and makes a big fuss over her.  She allows them to scratch her chin and behind her ears and so forth, but when all the attention stops, Suki goes and sits in front of whoever is sitting in the chair.  She doesn't move -- she just sits and stares at the poor person.  I have known people to cut their visit short after about 15 minutes of Suki sitting and staring at them.  I will often try to encourage her to go elsewhere, but while I may distract her for a few minutes, she quickly returns to her chair watch.

If I am sitting in the chair, as sometimes happens, she won't just sit and stare.  No, with me, she climbs up and sits on the back of the chair behind my head and pesters me by trying to lick my hair which she knows really disturbs me.  I will pick her up and put her down on the floor where she will stay for a few minutes before climbing back onto the chair again and repeating the process.

I know, I know, I should be much better at discipline, but I'm not.  What I often do now is encourage people to sit on the sofa while I sit on the perch on top of my walker.  When this happens, Suki will usually come out and join us. She allows everyone to pat her before jumping up into her chair, curling up and going to sleep -- quite content that she is still in full control of her little world!

So, other than not being able to sit in one of my favourite chairs, I am doing fine.  I was able to get over to the gym this morning and now I am waiting for the time to arrive to go across the hall to my friend's apartment.  The Communion ministers from St. Michael's Cathedral will be here soon and we now meet together at Gayle's place so they only have one visit to make on our floor instead of three.  This makes things much easier for them and it is also nice for us as it gives us more of a sense of community as we share the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of our Lord, Jesus Christ, in Holy Communion.

Later today some friends are coming with their two children for a visit.  They are coming to my area to see Buskerfest which has taken over most of our neighbourhood.  They will have their son and their daughter with them.  I haven't seen their daughter yet as she was born about 8 months ago so I am really looking forward to meeting her.  I will be interested to see what Suki does about her chair with a little 5 or 6 year old little boy chasing her around the house!  It might be very amusing.  I am sure they will be taking photos so perhaps I will even have photographic evidence to show you in my next blog posting.

Anyway, it is about time for me to go.  May God grant us all peace, His peace, which passes all human understanding and fills our hearts with joy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sallie,
I just wanted to say that your drawings of the flowers in this blog are beautiful, you asked for feedback on your different style and it is lovely. I really enjoy the composition and the texture of the branches. They are very lovely! I also enjoy reading your blog, you are a lovely writer and very entertaining. I especially enjoy reading about Suki! I found your blog while searching out images of the paintbrush plant and am glad I did. Your blog and drawings are delightful! Thank you and blessings! Su Burnett Nova Scotia

Sallie (Sarah) said...

Dear Su: Thanks so much for your feedback and your kind remarks. I hope you will continue to visit my blog and give me more feedback. S.