Monday, 6 August 2012

Feast of the Transfiguration

Icon, The Transfiguration, by the hand of Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2009
This icon of the Transfiguration was done back in 2009 in preparation of my first book:  The Rosary Icons (see www.blurb.com ).  The bottom half of the drawing may seem very familiar to you because I posted it in my blog back on the feast day of St. James in July (as you may recall St. James is the figure dressed in dark purple (bottom right).  Sts. Peter and John are the other two figures on the ground. 
I am sure you are all familiar with the Gospel passage which tells about Our Lord Jesus taking with Him Peter, James and John and going up a mountain -- just the four of them.  There Our Lord was transfigured, rising up in the air and Moses and Elijah, both long since dead, were seen standing one on either side of Him.  The 3 apostles fell to the ground in fright and St. Peter began to babble.  Suddenly, and this is my favourtie part, a voice from above is heard by the three apostles saying: "This is my beloved Son, listen to Him." What perfect advice for all of us: "listen to Him".  Evidently the light surrounding Our Lord was so bright that the apostles had to close their eyes and when they opened them again, they saw no one, only Jesus -- only Jesus.

The mountain is not named, but tradition holds that it was Mt. Tabor -- a not very high mountain (really just a volcanic cone), but high enough to provide a beautiful view on a sunny day. It is located in Lower Galilee, at the eastern end of the Jezreel Valley, 11 miles (18 km) west of the Sea of Galilee. It was the site of the Mount Tabor battle between Barak under the leadership of the Israelite judge Deborah, and the army of Jabin commanded by Sisera, in the mid 14th century BCE.

__________________________________________________

2013 Calendar

I will, as usual, have two types of wall calendars available for 2013:  one of newer flower drawings and one of recent icons of Our Lady.  The cost will be $12 each.  If you are interested in ordering some for yourself or for Christmas gifts, please let me know in plenty of time as I will be getting them printed over the next few months.  Today I want to show you four of the 12 icons that will be used in the calendar featuring Our Lady.

 This should give you an idea of


the 12 icons that the calendar will

display.  There will be one icon per month and the size of each icon will be approximately 6 x 8 inches -- a nice size for framing or mounting should you wish to do so.

If you are interested, please let me know no later than the beginning of November so that I can make certain that the calendars get delivered to you in plenty of time.

___________________________________________________________

UPDATE ON THE BABY

Well, Braden just continues to get more and more wonderful as each day passes.  Today I want to show you three photos.  The first shows a very happy baby after he has been fed.  The second shows that happy baby after he has fallen into a sweet sleep with a full tummy -- what could be better than that!  The third one I will explain below.


"That was a g-o-o-d meal"


"z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z"


In this next photo, Braden is actually sleeping on his right side on the sofa.  When I saw the photo, I immediately wondered how it would look turned on its end.  When I rotated it, I discovered that he had actually taken the pose of Auguste Rodin's sculpture "The Thinker"...!  What an amazing baby!


Braden, The Thinker


Rodin's Sculpture "The Thinker"
________________________________________________________

SUKI AND SALLIE

Suki-like black cat,
drawing by S. Thayer, 2010

Here is a drawing I did back in 2010, back before I had even met Suki.  In fact, I remember at the time I was doing the drawing thinking to myself: "I will never have another black cat -- they are just too difficult to live with."  Then look what happened.  I met Suki and felt so sorry for her after seeing the shape she was in and finding out that she had been in that small cage at the Humane Society for over 4 months ... I just couldn't leave her there.

As I mentioned above, I had a black cat years before -- back in the 1960s, early 70s and he was not an easy cat to live with.  Of course, back then, I was not an easy person to live with and so the two of us clashed frequently.  Although I realized later that most of the difficulty was caused by my own impatience, I was left with this feeling that black cats would always create problems.  I thought of this briefly as I agreed to take Suki home, but I remember telling myself that a female black cat would surely be easier to deal with.

And, for the first month or so, Suki was very easy to live with.  She slept a lot, loved to cuddle, caused no problems with the litter box and after trying several different foods, she settled on a couple that she ate readily.  I was really proud of myself for getting a cat who was so easy to live with.  I remember thinking that maybe she was even grateful that I had rescued her!

Looking back, I suppose that she was very grateful at first to be out of that cage and in a clean and comfortable home, but then I guess she must have begun to realize what a soft touch I really was.  That was when the demands began.  I always gave in too readily just to keep her content and to stop her from bothering me when I wanted to spend time drawing or sleeping uninterruptedly. 

Of course, as you are now aware (if you are a regular reader of my blog), that while I readily admit to loving this cat and have no desire to be rid of her, I also have to admit that she does rule this home and me!  I am still not sure how it happened so easily when so much of the time I really thought I was being strict with her.  Now I have promised myself that should I live long enough to ever have another cat, I will listen to that inner voice telling me:  "choose another white cat like miz k.d. or even a ginger cat like Mr. Ginger... make life easy for yourself."  I really wonder though if I will listen?  I always seem to choose the more difficult way in all areas of my life!

In spite of my complaining, I am really doing very well and Suki and I have had a great weekend.  We have been very lazy -- sleeping a lot and eating when we felt like it.  I did complete a new flower drawing and "read" a couple of talking books.  I also made it to the gym on Saturday and today. 

With today being a holiday, I know I am going to be confused all this week about what day it is.  Fortunately, I don't have any important appointments; otherwise, I would probably get confused and end up missing them as I have done in the past when we had a Monday holiday. 

I hope everyone in Ontario had a good long weekend and that many of you were able to make it to Mass today for the Feast of the Transfiguration even if it was a holiday.

May the blessings of God be with us all and may God fill our hearts with His peace and joy today and every day.

No comments: