Tuesday, 14 August 2012

Our Lady of Walsingham



Icon, Our Lady of Walsingham, by the hand of Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012
The Roman Catholic shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham is located near the English towns of King’s Lynn, Swaffham and Norwich -- northeast of Cambridge and a good distance east of Birmingham and Coventry.

The Shrine of Our Lady at Walsingham was established in 1061 when, according to the text of the Pynson Ballad (c 1485), Richeldis de Faverches prayed that she might undertake some special work in honour of Our Lady. In answer to her prayer, the Virgin Mary led her in spirit to Nazareth, showed her the house where the Annunciation occurred, and asked her to build a replica in Walsingham to serve as a perpetual memorial of the Annunciation. This Holy House was built and a religious community took charge of the foundation. Although we have very little historical material from this period, we know that with papal approval the Augustinian Canons built a Priory (c 1150). Walsingham became one of the greatest Shrines in Medieval Christendom.

In 1538, the Reformation caused the Priory property to be handed over to the King’s Commissioners and the famous statue of Our Lady of Walsingham was taken to London and burnt. Nothing remains today of the original shrine, but its site is marked on the lawn in “The Abbey Grounds” in the village. After the destruction of the Shrine, Walsingham ceased to be a place of pilgrimage. Devotion was necessarily in secret until after Catholic Emancipation (1829) when public expressions of faith were allowed.

For more information go to http://www.walsingham.org.uk/romancatholic/

Below, you see a copy of the modern statue of Our Lady of Walsingham
with all the different symbolism explained.

Statue of Our Lady of Walsingham with information regarding symbols (used with permission)

The Slipper Chapel (the Shrine) was built in the mid-14th century, and dedicated to Saint Catherine of Alexandria, this chapel served pilgrims on their way to England’s Nazareth. Saint Catherine was the patron saint of pilgrims to the Holy Land and her knights kept open the road to Nazareth during the Crusades. After the Reformation, the Chapel was used as a poor house, a forge, a cow shed and a barn. It was restored to the Catholic Church in 1896 by Charlotte Pearson Boyd.

The interior of the Slipper Chapel at the Shrine of Walsingham
The statue of Our Lady can be seen on (your) left side of the altar
(used with permission)

_________________________________________________________

BRADEN UPDATE

Well, in this posting there is a new "smile" photo, a sweet, sleeping photo and a couple of interesting expressions on the face of the little man.  He continues to be a delight to his parents and to family and friends.  I am as enamoured of him as ever -- maybe even worse than before -- and keep multiple pictures of him close at hand for my own perusal and for showing to visitors!  Take a look.


This is one happy baby, especially after he has had a good meal!


Is there anything sweeter than a peacefully sleeping baby...


This is one of those baby photos that needs a special caption ... any suggestions?


"I hate to say this, Dad, but you are interfering with my time with mom.
I am afraid I will have to put this in your performance report!"
 __________________________________________________________

CHUCKLES






(my sincere apologies to the vegetarians who read this posting)
 ________________________________________________________

SUKI AND SALLIE


 I think Suki is on to me and the fact that I am sharing her deeds and mis- deeds on my blog!

When my friend, Eugene, was visiting recently, Suki came out to say hello -- really, she wanted to tell me that she was hungry, but once she saw Eugene, she forgot about food for a while as she knew
Now I have a better idea of why Suki is too
knowledgeable for her own good -- she is
doing her own research and using my glasses
to do it!!
that here was someone who would scratch her ears for a while!  At any rate, we were talking about some of Suki's escapades and I noticed that although she seemed to be engrossed in washing her paws, she was really listening to every word and she did not look pleased.  I thought to myself "uh-oh, I may be in for a rough night -- and I was right!  Oh, well, I am sure it was all in good fun.



As for what she is up to these days, I can only say that she appears to be spending a lot of time snuffling around in my books and was caught once (see photo above) trying to put my glasses on.  I suspect that she may be researching some new material for the book I am sure she is secretly writing, probably entitled, "How to manipulate your person and get them to do whatever you want them to!" by Suki the Cat.  If I start waking up and finding that the computer has been turned on during the night, I will begin a search for the manuscript!  It will be my responsibility to try my best to keep such a dastardly book from being published.  Just think... all cat people throughout the world could end up like me!!!
  _____________________________
As for Sallie, she is doing quite well -- all things considered.   I continue to have some new physical problems that must be investigated further by the medical people; however, they do not appear to be that significant.  Otherwise, I am able to continue going to the gym almost every day and ride my recumbent bike for 45 to 50 minutes each day plus working on a couple of other machines.  Best of all, I am still enjoying it very much -- I do love those little endorphins!  

A friend whom I have not seen for some time will be coming for a visit on Thursday and I am really looking forward to her visit.  We plan to sit in comfortable chairs in my office/bedroom and visit as long as we like -- catching up on all the news.  For me, this is one of the very best types of social interaction:  to sit with a dear friend and just "visit" as we say in the southern U.S.
 _______________________________________    
Otherwise, things are quiet at the moment.  I am trying to arrange to advertise my 2013 calendars locally to see if there is any interest out there before I start seriously ordering.  Remember, let me know in the next couple of months if you would like one or more of the calendars for yourself or for gifts.  

Well, it is time to head off to the gym.    
Meanwhile, I pray that each and every one who reads this blog posting will be blessed by it.  May the joy and love of God fill your hearts and grant you His peace.

  ______________________________________________________   Wishing you a blessed feast of St. Maximillan Kolbe, August 14th.
St. Maximilian Kolbe, pray for us. 
St. Maximilian Kolbe by the hand of Sarah "Sallie" Thayer

Tomorrow is the beautiful Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, August 15th. 
Our Lady, pray for us.

Assumption by the hand of Sarah "Sallie" Thayer


No comments: