Friday, 7 September 2012

Theotokos plus Matched Set


Icon, Most Holy Theotokos, by the hand of Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012

Today's posting is featuring two new icons of Our Lady and the first "matched set" that I have done in about 3 years.  In order to refresh your memory, I have included the definition of the two important terms I use when speaking of the style of the particular icons.  If you have any questions about the reasons for different aspects of these icons, please feel free to either make a comment (I will respond in the comments sections to any question) or contact me at my email address which is shown.

Theotokos:  the Greek title of Mary, the Mother of Jesus used especially in the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox and Eastern Catholic Churches. Its literal English translations include God-bearer and the one who gives birth to God. Less literal translations include Mother of God. When used in reference to Byzantine church art, it implies a depiction of Blessed Mary holding the Christ Child.

Pantocrator:  the Greek title of Jesus Christ as Ruler of the universe, Creator, Saviour and Almighty God represented in Byzantine (Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox and Eastern Catholic Churches) church art showing Our Lord Jesus with one hand upraised and the other holding a copy of the Gospels.

 
Icon, Theotokos - Pantocrator, Matched Set, by the hand of Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012

Icon, Pantocrator-Theotokos, Matched Set, by the hand of Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012


These two icons are referred to as a match set since the style, colouring, etc. are similar in both of these icons.  Matched icons make a meaningful gift for those people who are attracted to this religious art.  Traditionally, a matched set like this is presented to a couple getting married in the Eastern-rite churches on their wedding day.  After having been blessed by the priest, the set is placed in the "icon-corner" of the couple's home and hopefully will be kept and treasured throughout the couple's married life.


Icon, Our Lady of Consolation, by the hand of Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012

Here is a traditional icon under the name of Our Lady of Consolation.  I find this a particularly meaningful icon.  I really love to look at those little bare feet which speak to me of vulnerability.  Imagine, our God, coming to us as a vulnerable child...

By the way, two of these are included in the 2013 calendar now available for ordering at the price of $12 each.  Just contact me directly if you are interested.


_______________________________________________________

BRADEN THE BOXER

I do hope that you are not getting too tired to seeing photos of dear Braden.  Let me know if you would like to see something else featured in this section of my post occasionally although I am aware that a number of readers have commented on the pleasure they receive from the Braden photos each posting.  As I think you know by now, I could easily fill up an entire posting with photos and news about this sweet boy!


"What are you lookin' at?  You wanna fight?"


"You don't know what you're gettin' into.  My Dad taught me how to box
and besides that, my Dad can beat up your Dad!"


"Scare-dy cat!  I knew you wouldn't fight me after I told you about how strong my Dad is
and how he has already taught me to box!"
 
"Wow, all that fighting stuff sure does make a man hungry.  I hope Mom is serving supper soon --this hand just ain't doin' it for me!"

_________________________________________________________

SUKI AND SALLIE

Drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012
Well, Suki has suddenly started trying to get away with eating only the gravy and not the rest of her food.  The wet food I give her is called "grilled turkey with gravy".  Obviously, the gravy must be the best part of this canned food, but the entire can cannot be just gravy -- she needs the meat as well! 

Anyway, Suki started this nonsense a few days ago and now every day we are going through this struggle.  This is one battle that I am determined to win and thus far I still hold the upper hand.  Not only am I determined to win this one, but I must win it as I cannot possibly afford to only use the gravy from each can and throw the rest away plus it would be very unhealthy for Suki to eat only gravy.  However, any of you who are familiar with conflicts regarding cats and their food, know how difficult it is to win such a battle.

At the point, I save what is leftover from each meal and give it to her again at the next meal.  Sometimes she is so hungry that she will eat some of the leftovers in spite of herself -- plus she maintains herself with her crunchies -- so she is in no danger of starving. 

The biggest problem is that the battle is far from finished which means that when Suki gets really hungry, she talks and talks and talks about it (I think sometimes that she must be part Siamese after about 15 minutes of various meow-y type sounds!).  And as you might have guessed, she does do some of this talking in the middle of the night when I am trying to sleep!  I won't tell you what kinds of names I call her when that happens, but I will only say that I am having to go to Confession a bit more frequently these days!

Otherwise, I am doing reasonably well.  I have been busier than ever with the art work, especially with icons of Our Lady, as is evident from this particular posting.  I am going to the gym almost every day and seem to have regained most of the ability I had lost during the six months I spent avoiding the gym as I sought to recover from the bad fall I had last December 14th!  I have received some orders already for the 2013 calendar and I am organizing that project so that all the orders get filled on time.  As you can see, I am certainly staying busy and feeling reasonably well in the process.

Life is steadily moving forward and bringing me to the time scheduled for my jaw surgery at the end of October.  I will give you more details as we get closer to the event as there will be a few weeks there when I probably will not feel like trying to post anything.

Now, it is time for me to go and fix my supper and I will not be having any gravy!!  Suki ate a bit of her food an hour or so ago so I am hopeful that she will continue to sleep and not start one of her meowy conversations as this can be very distracting!

May our Lord be with us all and fill our hearts with love, peace and joy.  May our Blessed Mother continue to pray for us as she repeats in our hearts the words she spoke at Cana in Galilee, "do whatever He tells you."

No comments: