Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Lilies of One Sort or Another

Hemerocallis, Day Lilies, drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012

Although they have a similar flower structure, daylilies are not true lilies, but instead belong to the genus Hemerocallis.  Daylily, then, is the general, nonscientific name of a species, hybrid or cultivar of the genus Hemerocallis. Daylilies are perennial plants. The name Hemerocallis comes from the Greek words ἡμέρα (hēmera) "day" and καλός (kalos) "beautiful". This name alludes to the flowers which typically last no more than 24 hours. The flowers of most species open in early morning and wither during the following night, possibly replaced by another one on the same flower stalk the next day. Some species are night-blooming. 

Hemerocallis is native to Eurasia, including China, Korea, and Japan, and this genus is popular worldwide because of the showy flowers and hardiness of many kinds. There are over 60,000 registered *cultivars! *[A variety of a plant that has been created or selected intentionally and maintained through cultivation]

The flowers of some species are edible and are used in Chinese cuisine. The plant has also been used for medicinal purposes. Care must be used as some species of lilies can be toxic.

Hemerocallis, Day Lilies, [brightening effect applied], drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012


This is proof that I finally was able to get my special software up and running -- For a while I did not think that I was going to be able to recover it.  So, fear not, you will continue to see evidence of my crazy software!



Lilium martagon - Martagon Lily, drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012

Lilium martagon (Martagon or Turk's cap lily) is a true species of lily. It is of the Family, Liliaceae, and the genus Lilium. It has a widespread native region extending from eastern France east through northern Asia to Mongolia and Korea.

The name "Turk's cap", is also applied to a number of other species.  It comes from the characteristic reflexed shape of the petals. The specific epithet martagon is a Turkish word which also means turban or cap.

This drawing, by the way, is one of a series I have done which shows the parts of the plants almost separately, creating a rather different style of presentation.

____________________________________________________________

A COUPLE OF NEW PHOTOS OF BRADEN:

As you can see, Braden is becoming quite the reader!  As I understand it, he was reading one of his favourite books to his Dad!  Well, to be honest, I think it is his Dad reading to him -- but I am sure it won't be long before Braden is reading -- I mean, he is almost 4 months old now!


Braden and his Dad reading together


      Look how strong I am getting now, Mom!  Soon I will be sitting up on my own.


_______________________________________________________________

SUKI AND SALLIE


It's interesting to me how the issues we have to deal with regarding pets are the same issues you have with young children:  getting them to eat properly, getting them to sleep at appropriate times, getting them to stay out of places where they could hurt themselves, attempting to direct their natural curiosity in safe channels and so on.  I mention this because I am presently dealing with one of these issues again... the issue of getting Suki to eat properly.

I have drawn a picture of one of the current problems regarding food.  I got the idea for the drawing from someone else, but the concept is the same:  Suki's idea of an empty dish is very different from mine.  I figure that because she refuses to finish the food in her dish and then refuses to go back and finish it later THAT we are wasting close to 1/3 of each can of food I open.  That 1/3 goes into the composting box here at the co-op and somehow I just don't see the logic of donating 1/3 of each can of cat food to the composting process!

I have talked with Suki on numerous occasions about this and while she appears to understand that I am not pleased with the amount of food she is leaving behind, she does not appear to be willing to even compromise!  In fact, we have now reached the point where Suki, when she has "finished" eating, actually runs out of the kitchen and goes into one of her safe places where she sits and grooms and smiles with pleasure at having escaped without another lecture from me!

I am currently trying to figure out how to resolve this problem.  I have tried giving her less food each time, but nothing changes.  She still eats everything from the middle and leaves the rest.  I have also tried giving her a dish with a different shape just in case that is a problem for her.  Regardless of the shape or size of the dish she still leaves all that food behind.  I even tried putting all the food around the edges which caused her to eat even less.  Perhaps one of the most aggravating parts of all this is that after she spends a little bit of time hiding in her safe place, she comes out and starts begging me for more food!  I'm at my wit's end so if you have any suggestions that might help, please, please send them to me before I have to declare bankruptcy!

Speaking of bankruptcy, I just spent a little over $300 trying to get all my files, especially all my drawing files, moved from my external hard drive to my new computer after the old one was ruined due to a cup of hot coffee.  Most of my files have now been moved, especially all the art work files, but there are a number of documents from other areas that did not make it.

So, and this is IMPORTANT, if you were expecting me to send you something in the mail and had sent me your mailing address, please send it to me again as I have lost all of the correspondence files related to this blog.  Not only do I no longer have your information, I probably no longer even have your email address!  I am going to continue to search for my old address book, but if you see this information and think I might be talking about you, please send me your information again. 

And, along with everything else, I have to report that I had my first fall in 9 months this past Sunday morning while in the kitchen preparing breakfast.  It was the same as always -- I lost consciousness momentarily and fell, hard.  I came to just before I hit the floor, landing on my backside and my right hand.  My first response was to sit there and give thanks to God that I had not fallen on my face or head!  Then, as I assessed the damages, I realized that I might have done some real damage to my wrist. 

After countless hours spent waiting in the Emergency Department at St. Michael's Hospital, I was finally told that it appeared that possibly I had sustained a fracture to the side of my wrist just down from the base of my thumb.  I was directed to wear a splint for a week and then have the x-rays repeated once the swelling has gone down!  I did not mention that in one week's time I will be in another hospital having surgery!  Thankfully, the fracture, if one exists, is not too bothersome or painful so, unless it really starts to bother me, I plan to ignore it for the time being and just "carry on".

Otherwise, I am doing fine and preparing for my surgery and Brenda's visit.  I have one more blog posting to do before I leave for the hospital, so I will give you all the details then. 

May God richly bless us each and every one during these next four days.  I feel very blessed and I am sure that is because all my many friends and family are surrounding me with their prayers and good wishes. 

St. Ignatius of Antioch, whose memorial we celebrate today, please pray for us.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Why don't you try feeding Suki on a flat plate? If there are no edges, perhaps she'll eat more of it. Then again, who can understand the ways of cats?

Sallie (Sarah) said...

Deb; Thanks, but I have tried that. What happens is that she just pushes that amount of food onto the floor and it still gets left behind. Perhaps I need to borrow a neighbour's dog and then Suki would become much more competitive about her food. But, then, as you say... who can understand the way of cats!!