Thursday, 1 November 2012

Various Drawings Never Posted

"Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us." -Hebrews 12:1

May this All Saints Day, November 1, 2012, be filled with blessings for each and every one of you.  [signed] Sarah "Sallie" Thayer

[I do hope that at least most of the following makes sense!]

"Calycanthus floridus", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, date unknown

Calycanthus (sweetshrub) is a genus of flowering plants in the family, Calycanthaceae, endemic to North America. The genus includes two to four species depending on each taxonomist’s interpretation; two are accepted by the Flora of North America. They are deciduous shrubs growing to 2-4 m tall. The flowers, are produced in early summer after the leaves. They are numerous, spirally arranged, narrow, dark red (resembling a small magnolia flower); they are strongly scented. The fruit is an dry capsule 5-7 cm long, containing numerous seeds. The bark has a strong camphor smell that is released when stems are scraped. The smell remains strong on twigs that have been stored several years in a dry environment. The scent of the flower has been compared to bubble gum. Calycanthus oil, distilled from the flowers, is an essential oil used in some quality perfumes

Personally, I have always enjoyed the smell of camphor and, thus, have always liked to smell the bark of the sweetshrub!

Icon, "Divine Mercy (new)", by the hand of Sarah (Sallie) Thayer, date unknown

This is my latest version of the image of Our Lord Jesus Christ showing forth His Divine Mercy.  I like the idea of including the sweetness of flowers which you see surrounding the image.  This is because the flowers represent, for me, the Mercy of God, while the rays from the heart speak to us so clearly of the suffering Our Lord endured in order to make that mercy available.  How blessed we are that St. Faustina listened to Our Lord, being faithful to His requests even when others did not believe, even treating her with contempt.  Finally, I want to say "thank you" to our Heavenly friend, Blessed Pope John Paul the II and I ask him to continue to pray for us all.



"Good Morning, Sunshine", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, date unknown            

This sunflower is purposely drawn rather strangely as I created it especially for my dear friend, Brenda (who, sadly, returned to Alabama on Tuesday).  I created the flower in a rather lighthearted moment -- just after hearing another dear friend call Brenda "Miss Sunshine"!  This perfect name for my amazingly, generous-hearted friend gives the listener a clearer sense of how precious "Miss Sunshine" really is!



"Mighty Stallion", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, date unknown
Most of you are aware of my love of horses and how I continue to try to draw a perfect one.  This is not the ultimate so expect to continue to see more drawings in the future.  I did enjoy trying to create a setting worthy of a stallion, playing with the light until it becomes more important than the stallion!  How does that happen?



"Osteospermum Nasinga Purple", drawing by
Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2009







This is one of a number of varieties of Osteospermum -- this variety is referred to as "spooned" for obvious reasons!  This particular image was presented and discussed back in 2009.


The genus Osteospermum belongs to the plant family Compositae/Asteraceae or the Daisy family. Does the blossom above look like a daisy blossom to you? Asteraceae, by the way, is one of the smaller tribes of the sunflower family.

These plants originate in South Africa where they are known under the common names of "African Daisy", "South African Daisy", "Cape Daisy" and "Blue-eyed Daisy".

The genus name of Osteospermum is derived from the Greek osteon (meaning bone) and Latin spermum (meaning seed) which equals "bone seed". Don't ask me why it was given the name of "bone seed" -- I can't figure it out either. 

All those tiny blue flowerlets in the centre surrounded by a ring of tiny yellow flowerlets are found in the spooned variety and a couple of other varieties as well -- sort of like a flower garden for tiny fairies.



"Osteospermum Nasinga Purple", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, date unknown.
 At some point in time, I decided to do a drawing of a Osteospermum "bush" but somehow I never got around to sharing it with you all -- partly, I guess, because the finished drawing does not have the sort of "colouration" impact that I would prefer to see in these drawings.

 
"Earth Tones, New Mexico", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, date unknown
 This is a drawing of small-town New Mexico with rich earth colours revealed by changing shadows as the sun moves across an almost cloudless blue sky.  I love these earth tones.  I remember when I discovered them in paint as I bought my first oil paints so many years ago now -- even the names gave me pleasure:  yellow ochre, burnt sienna, burnt umber, ultramarine blue.  How beautiful these were, especially as they were combined in varying degrees with one another and with the occasional touch of Titanium white.

I think most of you realize by now how deeply I am affected by colour!



"Japanese Primrose", drawing by
Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, date unknown


"Japanese Primrose", drawing by
Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, date unknown
[topographic software applied]

















The final flower/icon drawing in this first part of my posting is the Japanese Primrose.  I started the drawing  several years ago but never finished it for some reason.  During the changes resulting from my computer accident of some weeks ago, I came across it again and decided to try to finish it.  After this, I lost it again and then came across it once more shortly before going in for surgery.  Although the anaesthesia has left me with holes in my memory, I can see from the drawing above that I did, indeed, finish it at some point! 

Above left is the original drawing in its normal colours.  It is a fairly simple, but lovely flowering plant.  I felt that in its natural state, it did not make much of an impact; however, when topographic software was applied, the rich colours which resulted were quite striking.  I love the rich blues and greens which resulted and, thus, finally felt inclined to include the Japanese Primrose in a posting



___________________________________________________________


CHECKING UP ON BRADEN : HALLOWE'EN


"Just one more sleep before Hallowe'en!  I'm so excited I wonder if I will be able to sleep at all .......Zzz...Zzz"


"Is it time to get dressed in my Hallowe'en costume yet, Mommy?"


"Grrrrr.....I'm a big Dinosaur!!  Are you frightened yet?  Growl...Growl ...Growl!"


____________________________________________________

The SUKI and SALLIE Column will return next posting when Sallie will, God willing, be feeling much better!

I can tell you that Suki is fine and that Sallie is slowly improving.

May God's blessing be upon all of us, and
May the souls of the departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.  Amen.

No comments: