Wednesday, 30 January 2013

St. John the Beloved Disciple


Icon "St. John the Apostle" by the hand of Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2013


St. John, the son of Zebedee, and the brother of St. James the Great, was called to be an Apostle by our Lord in the first year of His public ministry. He became the "beloved disciple" and the only one of the Twelve who did not forsake the Savior in the hour of His Passion. He stood faithfully at the cross when the Savior made him the guardian of His Mother.  His later life was passed chiefly in Jerusalem and at Ephesus.  He founded many churches in Asia Minor. He wrote the fourth Gospel, and three Epistles, and the Book of Revelation is also attributed to him. Brought to Rome, tradition relates that he was by order of Emperor Dometian cast into a cauldron of boiling oil but came forth unhurt and was banished to the island of Patmos for a year. He lived to an extreme old age, surviving all his fellow apostles, and died at Ephesus about the year 100.

In art, John as the presumed author of the Gospel is often depicted with an eagle, which symbolizes the height he rose to in the first chapter of his gospel. In Orthodox icons, he is often depicted looking up into heaven and dictating his Gospel (or the Book of Revelation) to his disciple.  [Taken largely from Catholic Online and Wikipedia]


_________________________________________________________________________________

BRADEN UPDATE

Braden is being baptized this Sunday the 3rd of February.  I am looking forward to showing you photographs of the even, especially photos of how handsome Braden looks in his white suit!  So adorable.
Keep watching and you will be seeing these new photos soon!


___________________________________________________________________________________

COLLABORATION WITH THE AUTHOR KATHERINE MILLS JOHNSON

Kathy Johnson is an author from Texas who contacted me some time ago about using a number of my icons in her then, in progress, series ``Lectio Divina Catholic Prayer Journal Series``.  She has now completed over 7 volumes in this series and while my icons, I think, are used in only three of the guides, they are all worth getting and using yourself or giving to friends.

I discovered that it is best to simply search for the title of any one of the items you might be interested in as the only place I could easily find all of the guides was on Amazon.UK!  The prices on the North American sites seem to run from about $10 to $15 per guide.  These are beautiful books for deepening your prayer life and would make especially nice gifts for anyone who is seeking to grow in their understanding of Scripture and prayer.

Here is the back cover from one of the guides which gives you, along with other information, the facts about Katherine Mills Johnson, the author.




Information about the author, Katherine Mills Johnson -- you will have to use the ``magnifier`` in order to read it easily.

Here is what Kathy says about me in each of the volumes in which my icons appear--

Many thanks to Sallie Thayer for the use of her icons.  A lifelong artist from Toronto (should read lifelong wanna be artist!), Sallie began writing icons with the use of the computer in 2006 after arthritis prevented her from being able to paint and do calligraphy.  For Sallie, ``the real creator is God but he uses my hands to accomplish this work.``  She surrounds each icon with prayer and blesses others with the beauty of her artistry. 

Below are the covers from the three volumes using my icons...


Using the Rosary Icons



Using the Stations of the Cross Icons


Using various Icons mixed in with photos of stained glass windows



_________________________________________________________________________________

SUKI AND SALLIE


``I may forgive you for deserting me -- perhaps if you
offered me an extra helping of din-din!``
As most of you know, I participated in a 20-hour sleep study at the hospital this past Sunday night, Monday until about 3:30 p.m.  I left home about 7 p.m. Sunday evening, leaving Suki alone overnight.  The next morning, Joycelyn came to attend to her usual Monday activities at my place which kept her here for about three hours.

Joycelyn told me later that when she arrived, Suki was sitting in the chair by the front door and when she left, Suki was still sitting in that chair.  Normally, whenever I go out, Suki sleeps in that chair until I come home.  When I finally arrived home about 3:45 Monday afternoon, there was Suki right at the front door just as she always is when I come home.  After a quick hello which consisted of a lot of purring and rubbing against my legs, she asked to be fed.

After she had eaten, she attached herself to me for the rest of the evening and night.  She wanted to sleep in my lap which was not really a problem as I was so tired all I wanted to do was sleep!  You would think that after being on a sleep study where all I did was sleep and get awakened and then sleep and get awakened, I might feel just a bit rested.  But, no, I was totally exhausted.  That sleep study was one of the more difficult medical experiences I have ever gone through! 

So, Suki and I have been sleeping and sleeping and sleeping since Monday.  Hopefully, I have just about recovered and Suki is back to her normal self -- sleeping in her own bed(s) and regularly awakening me to beg for food.

I have no results yet to report from the sleep study but hopefully I will be hearing something soon.  Most importantly I am hoping to finally have a proper diagnosis and a workable treatment plan.  I will keep you informed.

As to my other major problem, there is still no definite word on when I will be having the eye surgery, but I have been told that it may be sooner rather than later.  Once my poor eyes are repaired, I am expecting that life will look a lot better!

Meanwhile, thanks to you all for your prayers and good wishes.

And for those of you who continue to request more photos of the younger Sallie Thayer, here is something rather different:

This photograph was taken in a wooded area in central Florida.  It shows a much younger me saying a sad farewell to a turtle I met while visiting my parents in Anna Maria, Florida.  I came upon this sweet turtle as she finished laying her eggs in the soft sand along the canal behind my parents home.  As you can see, I have a great liking for such creatures -- turtles, frogs, snakes and such!  I know it is a bit unusual, but what can I say.....?







May God`s gifts of peace, joy and love fill our hearts and our lives.
St. John the Apostle, pray for us.
Amen.

No comments: