Sunday, 10 February 2013

Gong Xi Fa Cai

"Chinese New Year Poster" drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2013

迎春接福 - "Greet the New Year and encounter happiness"  is one of the traditional New Year's greetings and is certainly something I wish for all my readers.

Chinese New Year is the most important of the traditional Chinese holidays. In China, it is also known as the Spring Festival, the literal translation of the modern Chinese name. Chinese New Year celebrations traditionally ran from Chinese New Year's Day itself, the first day of the first month of the Chinese calendar, to the Lantern Festival on the 15th day of the first month, making the festival the longest in the Chinese calendar. Because the Chinese calendar is lunisolar, the Chinese New Year is often referred to as the "Lunar New Year".

Cantonese: Kong Hei Fatt Choy! "Happy New Year"!



"Nodding Blue Lily (Stypandra glauca)", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2013


Stypandra glauca (Nodding Blue Lily) is a member of the family Phormiaceae. Its distribution is widespread from south east Queensland through to Western Australia.  Stypandra – from the Greek stype for flax fibres and aner man, in reference to the staminal filament hairs which are beard-like in appearance; glauca – from the Greek glaukos meaning sea green which refers to the colour of the foliage. Found on sandy or poor stony soils in woodland or open forest communities.  May be toxic to livestock if eaten when flowering.  In other words, this is one of those wild plants that appears in great quantity after a fire, preventing soil erosion and giving cover to the small creatures of the woodlands.  A plant most people would think of as worthless and cattle farmers might curse -- yet, just look how beautiful it is!



____________________________________________________________________________________

THE BIG SNOW STORM OF 2013 



The view from my balcony yesterday -- it is always so pretty the first day after a snowstorm.

My sympathies are with all those people who had to go to work on Friday and actually be out in the storm.  It was so lovely to stay indoors and watch it snow, hour after hour.  Everything gets so quiet during a snow storm... 


"The snow is snowing, the wind is blowing, but we can weather the storm...." 
How much snow did we get?  A lot!


 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

SUKI AND SALLIE



Suki is shocked to see this intrepid photographer
in the back of the closet where she has her most
private sleeping place!

During the recent snowstorm, Suki crawled into the back of the closet and sort of hibernated there until the snow stopped and the sun came out on Saturday.  I mean, she certainly got out of the closet whenever she was hungry, etc., but otherwise, she seemed to think that was the best place to be.

At one point, wanting to make certain that she was all right, I crawled (a standing crawl if you can imagine such a thing) into the back of the closet to check on her.  When I saw how comfy she looked, I knew I wanted to try to get a photo.  I managed to do so even though I had to twist a lot to make it happen.

Suki was not pleased about being disturbed and looked at me in a way that made me feel decidedly unwelcome!  So, I got my photo and got out of there before she could start growling at me.  Evidently, she was not too disturbed about all the commotion as she stayed in her box for several more hours before getting up to ask for food.

I am continuing to do reasonably well and looking forward with much happiness to the 20th -- the day for my eye surgery.  The dear lady who helps me will be going with me and coming home with me as well.  I really do not think that I will need to have anyone stay with me overnight as I will not be fully sedated -- as I understand it, I will be mildly sedated and the areas around my eyes will be numbed.  This means I will be awake and asleep and awake during the surgery and I should be fine by the time I get home.  Whatever it takes, I am willing if it means I will have my eyes acting normally again.

In the other area of medical concern, I have had a bit of a setback.  If I were prone to get angry, this would be something that would have me angry.  Instead, it just has me more determined than ever to fight for the help that I need, now.  Let me explain.

As you may recall, the doctor at the sleep clinic told me that she would be in touch with me the week after the sleep study.  She was going to do this for two reasons, as I understood it:  one was that she felt that the problems I am having put me at risk for serious injury -- and, two, she had gotten me to stop the medication I was taking and needed to follow-up on that and also prescribe a new medication for the medical problem that was now not being treated.  I agreed that I felt I could go for a week without any medication for the problem even though I knew it would not be easy.  The sleep study was at the end of January and I have still not heard from her.

Then, this past week, I received a letter in which I am tersely informed that my follow-up appointment scheduled for the 22nd of February has, due to a change in the Clinic schedule, has be moved forward until May 31st!

What this means is that I will be given no information or treatment of the sleep disorder until after May 31st and I will have to supposedly go without any treatment for this other debilitating condition -- since I have stopped one medication and have not been given another -- until after May 31st.

This simply is unacceptable to me and is also really bad medical practice, seriously bad in my opinion.  So, I plan to hunt the doctor down until I can get her to speak to me over the telephone and explain why she is doing this and what I should do in the meantime.  I am not angry as I understand the system and how these things can happen, but I feel it is necessary to advocate for myself once again.  Hopefully I will have some satisfactory news to pass along when I post again on Wednesday.


In gratitude for all the blessings of my life, I close with a prayer of thanksgiving for my family, friends, acquaintances and the readers of my blog.  May our interactions be a source of joy for all.  And, may the peace of God which is beyond human understanding fill our hearts and minds in the days ahead.  Amen.


A recent drawing of my favourite flower
"Calla Pink on Black" drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2013

3 comments:

Deb said...

Definitely contact the doctor's office! Once you explain that the doc wanted to see you soon they should correct things. It's probably a clerical error.

Sallie (Sarah) said...

Thanks Deb. I wish I could be so optimistic. Whatever the cause, I do plan to contact the doctor first thing Monday morning.

Anonymous said...

Dimitrije told me he dreamed about Suki last night. Like a TV crew came to film her and she hid in the closet. They managed to get her out by some food offerings and she posed like a professional. It must be all those photos you posted on your blog. We were watching them together on Friday. Amra