Wednesday, 6 February 2013

Pray for Us.

"St. Lucy", [Patron for people with eye problems] by the hand of Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012


St. Lucy's mother suffered for years from an issue of blood, and at the urging of her daughter the two went to the tomb of St. Agatha [whose feast day was yesterday, Jan. 5th] to implore the saint's intercession. The two spent the night praying by the tomb, and overcome by weariness they fell asleep. St. Agatha appeared in a vision to St. Lucy and foretold her mother's recovery and her own martyrdom. That moment her mother was cured, and in gratitude allowed St. Lucy to distribute her wealth to the poor and consecrate herself to Christ. Her fiancé accused her as a Christian to the pagans, who put her into the flames. But God miraculously protected her and the fire did her no harm. Therefore a sword was plunged into her heart, thus fulfilling the prophecy of St. Agatha. Some histories say that during her persecution her eyes were put out but then miraculously restored to her; therefore since the Middle Ages she has been invoked by those who suffer from eye trouble -- as I do at present.





 In some parts of Europe and areas of Scandinavia, St. Lucy's Day (December 13th) is celebrated with saffron bread, usually coiled into a reverse-S shape and decorated with currants or raisins to represent the blind saint's eyes. This sounds super-morbid, but the bread is delicious. It's similar in texture and sweetness to French brioche rolls, with the moistness and golden colour of Cornish saffron buns.






"St. Dymphna", [Patron for people with sleep problems] by the hand of Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2013

Dymphna was born in Ireland during the 7th century. Dymphna's father Damon, a petty king of Oriel, was pagan, but her mother was a devout Christian. When Dymphna was 14 years old, her mother died. Damon had loved his wife deeply, and in the aftermath of her death his mental health sharply deteriorated. When at length he decided to remarry, Damon sought to find a woman who resembled his deceased wife. When no such woman could be found, Damon began to desire his daughter, because of the strong resemblance she bore to her mother. When Dymphna learned of her father's intentions she fled his court along with her confessor Father Gerebernus and two trusted servants. Together they sailed towards the continent, eventually landing in Belgium, where they took refuge in the town of Gheel. Damon sent his agents to pursue his daughter and her companions. When their hiding place was discovered, Damon traveled to Gheel to recover his daughter. Damon ordered his soldiers to kill Father Gerebernus and tried to force Dymphna to return with him to Ireland, but she resisted. Furious, Damon drew his sword and struck off his daughter's head.  St. Dymphna intercession is perhaps best know to help those suffering from mental disorders; however, she is also considered to be the one to turn to for prayers when a person is suffering from sleep disorders -- such as I do.


_________________________________________________________________________________

MORE BRADEN 

I am still waiting to receive more photos of the Baptism which I feel I can share with you.  Today, however, I do have one to show you of me and Braden.  As well, I want to show you this adorable photo of dear Braden wearing a plastic container on his head -- and feeling quite happy about it too!




Braden is just about to "kiss" me.  [I put the word "kiss" in quotes because it felt more like he was trying to gum my face!]  I loved every minute of it, however.  What a precious boy he is!



From the sublime to the silly --- this young man enjoys life!


_________________________________________________________________________

SUKI AND SALLIE


Suki loves that afternoon sunshine -- especially this time of year!

I find I am spending more and more time these days transferring a heavy, sleepy cat from one place to another!  Let me explain.

Several months ago Suki decided that sleeping in her crow's nest bed and in the chair in the living room was insufficient.  Yes, she could stretch out wherever she wanted on one area rug or another and even crawl into the back of the closet in times of danger, but she felt she needed more sleeping spots for long-term naps.

It was at this point that she decided that my recliner/bed was the perfect spot in which to settle after her breakfast -- with the idea of staying there until lunch time!  Of course, this means that if I want to have a rest or a nap I either have to find another spot or move Suki.

Well, since my bed is the most comfortable spot available for me, I am unwilling to give it up -- especially since it is surrounded by all the knicks and knacks that make my life more enjoyable. 

So, now you understand my earlier statement about having to move "a heavy, sleepy cat" from one bed to another.  And, let me mention, that this has to be done more than once a day.  No sooner do I get up to do something than Suki awakens and comes quickly to grab the nice, warm spot where I had been resting.  Then, when I return a bit later, there she is... sound asleep... in my recliner/bed!

Perhaps I should just push her out on the floor, but I am too tender-hearted for that.  So, once again I pick up all 13 pounds of her and transfer her gently back to  her crow's nest bed.  What a cat she is and what an old softie I am!

Besides being an old softie, I am also a very excited person when I realize that there are only 14 more days to wait until my eyes get fixed.  As we will already be in Lent by then, I will have to try not to go about shouting Alleluia, but you know I will be thinking it.  I will also be thanking St. Lucy for her intercession.

As for the sleeping problems, I still have not heard from the doctor who had assured me that she would be contacting me right away.  I will have to try to get in touch with me again and see what is going on.  Meanwhile, I will continue to ask St. Dymphna for her prayers on my behalf.

St. Josephine Bakhita by the
hand of Sarah "Sallie" Thayer


Let me end with a litany of my own:

Our Blessed Mother Mary, pray for us.
St. Agatha, pray for us.
St. Lucy, pray for us.
St. Dymphna, pray for us.
St. Paul Miki and companions (whose feast is today), pray for us.
St. Josephine Bakhita (whose feast is on Friday), pray for us.
All you saints and angels, pray for us.
AMEN.




No comments: