Sunday, 3 February 2013

Tulipa turkestanica

I have dated this yesterday as the posting was supposed to have been published last night. However, in my sleepiness, I failed to hit the "send" button and discovered, to my dismay, this morning what had happened. I do apologize. From now on, I hope to publish every Wednesday and Sunday.
"Tulipa turkestanica", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012


Tulipa turkestanica (Turkestan Tulip) is a species of tulip native to central Asia (Turkestan, Iran and northwest China). From the Family Liliaceae.  The flowers are white to pinkish-red, with a yellow centre; each plant produces from 1 to 12 star-shaped white flowers in early spring.

It is a native of Central Asia and produces a few long leaves and seven or more fragrant flowers to a stem. These are creamy white, with a yellow or orange centre, and eventually open wide like sparkling stars. From BBC Plant Finder

"Tulipa turkestanica", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012 (inversion technique)


I could not resist playing with my special software.  I have resisted using it for some time, but recently I found I could no longer resist the temptation and you can see above and below the results!


"Tulipa turkestanica", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012  (Saturation technique)


The peacocks and parrots of the bulb world, tulips offer are more sizes, shapes and colors than you can imagine. Almost every color in the spectrum is available except true blue. Intensity of the colors sometimes varies according to climate and even from one season to another. [taken from the Internet]


_______________________________________________________________________________

BRADEN'S BAPTISMAL DAY (February 3, 2013)



The little man all dressed up in his white suit and ready to become a member of the Body of Christ


Braden was baptized today and I was there.  He was so very well behaved and I was so proud of him as he smiled and looked around.  At one point we were all saying the words "I do" as we made a re-commitment to our own baptismal promises.  When we came to the very last one, Braden loudly said something that sounded very much like he too was saying "I do".   It was funny and adorable at the same time!

My dear friend, Raquel was kind enough to drive me out to the Church and wait around for me and then drive me back home.  What a wonderful gift that was.  As soon as I receive photos taken at the baptism, I will be posting some of them.  Hopefully, some of the ones of Braden with me will turn out.

_______________________________________________________________________________

SUKI AND SALLIE


"Are you sure it isn't time to eat?  Well,
how about a little snack, OK?

Suki has been doing reasonably well, considering she is a cat who is too smart for her own good!

Her latest attempt to try to rouse me from sleep at 4 a.m. (in an effort to get me to feed her that favourite canned food) ended in disaster.  She decided that she would push lightly at the grabber stick (one of those sticks that disabled people use to pick up things without moving from their bed or wheelchair) which was leaning against the side of my night stand.  Suki has used this technique in the past with some success so it must have seemed reasonable to her that it might work again.

Well, she managed to awaken me but not the way she had planned because instead of pushing the stick lightly, she pushed it just a bit too forcibly, causing the stick to fall over, hitting Suki across the back.  She yelled, I awoke.  As I assessed what had happened, I burst out laughing as I witnessed Suki under the chair on the other side of the room washing herself with quick strokes of her tongue -- the thing cats do when they are "embarrassed". 

Not only did I get to go back to sleep, but I was able to sleep until around six a.m. without being bothered by Suki at all.  When I got up, I went looking for her and found her still nursing her wounds while lying in one of her "safe places".  After some encouragement, she agreed to come into the kitchen and have that breakfast she had been trying to get originally at 4 a.m.  What a cat!

As for me, I still do not have any results from the sleep study.  The doctor had told me that she would be calling some time this coming week -- so, I will just have to wait and see.

As for the eye surgery, there is great news:  I am scheduled for surgery on the 20th of this month!  I can hardly believe it and I am very, very grateful.  The surgery had originally been scheduled for April 30th, but thanks to the extremely kind secretary in the doctor's office, I was given one of the cancellations that occurred.  Please pray with me that all will go well.  I am also asking St. Lucy to intercede for me as she is the patron of those with eye problems.


A photograph that beautifully expresses that early
December darkness.  A nice shot taken at Cherry Beach ,
Toronto, by my friend, Tim Burns.  


Just a photo I thought you might enjoy.  It is a good example of that end of the year darkness which we trust will lead us back to the light of Spring.  Also a good image of the darkness of the tomb leading to the glory of Easter!  Yes, Ash Wednesday is almost here.



Now, may He who is the Light of the World, keep our hearts in peace in the days to come and fill us with the light of His love.  And may the intercession of our Blessed Mother keep us ever open to "do whatever [her Son] tells us to" (see John 2:5).

No comments: