Sunday, 31 March 2013

Easter Sunday, 2013

"Christ is Risen, Alleluia" drawing by the hand of Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2013
Suddenly, like the Resurrection itself, everything is changed.  Yesterday we waited in silence by the tomb and today, today the tomb is empty!  He is risen!  

Christ's days of teaching the apostles and disciples which will follow now for the next weeks until Pentecost, were the weeks and words that finally fully established the Church that Christ came to build.  His words, life and witness and the coming of the Holy Spirit changed His followers from frightened men and women into people of deep faith and conviction.  We know this must be true as only a completely foolish person would willingly lay down their life to preserve a lie.  Peter and the others knew beyond any doubt that the Master had risen and in His glorified body moved among them until the day of his Ascension -- He disappeared from human sight but had made a way to remain with us forever in the presence of the Holy Eucharist, in His priests and in all those of us who would believe in Him throughout the centuries -- all of us who make up the Body of Christ.  

Can we really comprehend the fact that these teachings have remained unchanged for over 2,000 years.  In spite of the "culture of death" in which we now live (which seems to be determined to kill as many of its children as it can), the Church remains and through it, the crucified and risen Lord.  Death has been defeated.  The battle has been won!  Alleluia!  He is risen.  He is risen, indeed, Alleluia!



"Hibiscus -- Coral", drawing by the hand of Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2013


Here is my Easter flower drawing for the Risen Lord.  I would love to fill every Christian church today with masses of Hibiscus and Calla Lilies.  What a glorious sight that would be.  Such wasteful extravagance some would say -- just as Judas Iscariot said about Mary of Bethany's extravagance as she poured out perfumed oil over the head and feet of Jesus.  

Can love ever be anything other than extravagant with the beloved.  Not real love.  I don't think so.  This is how our God loves us.  Do we even notice how extravagantly He pours out His blessings on us each day?  Even when we reject Him, He still goes on loving us extravagantly, foolishly.  I pray that we may all rejoice as we allow ourselves to experience that Love today.  Alleluia!



________________________________________________________________________________

SUKI AND SALLIE


Suki carefully watching furniture being moved --
and she is not happy about it at all!
This morning, soon after I arose, I started moving bedroom furniture around again!  I am still not satisfied with how Joycelyn and I have arranged things.  Now, however, I have a new arrangement and while it still is not perfect, I think it may be the best of all possible arrangements for the time being.  We'll see.

Anyway, those of you who know cat behaviour, can imagine what Suki thought of all this moving.  She looked at me as if to say:  "I thought you had finished with this awful behaviour back on Wednesday!"  Poor kitty.

Anyway, one of the main reasons for changing things around again was in order to create a way for Suki to get to the window sill and then into her crow's nest bed.  Neither were really possible the way it had been arranged.  Just now, I helped her discover that a way has been provided for her to get from the floor, to my desk, to the window sill and then to her bed.  After checking this all out, she left and went to eat some of her crunchies -- evidently satisfied with the arrangement as she did not complain and did not give me any dirty looks.  So far, so good.

The other main reason for changing things around was so that I can now see the TV again while I am working at my desk.  This is important to me as often I only want to watch certain parts of shows on EWTN or Salt and Light TV.  This way, I can easily sit at my desk watching what I like and then muting the TV for the stuff I don't like.  Those of you not addicted to Catholic TV may not understand what I mean, but just take my word for it -- it matters to me.  Now with the new arrangement, I can do this once again as I had done prior to getting my new bed.  Of course, when Joycelyn arrives on Tuesday, she may well be able to help me improve the arrangement even more -- she is very good at that sort of thing.

Otherwise, things are going much the same with me.  My eyes continue to trouble me and the Restless Leg problems seem to be getting worse as I try to learn to live without taking any medication to control them.  Eventually, I am probably going to have to take some kind of medication for these silly legs as I am now having to spend too many hours each day trying to find some relief -- some days I cannot even do any kind of art work as the problem gets so bad.  Remember, if you hear of any natural remedy that might work, I would really appreciate your passing it along.

As I end today's posting, I would like to quote a passage from the Easter Vigil homily of Pope Francis.  I found the following very meaningful:

"Let us ask the Lord to give us a share in his Resurrection.  May He open us to the newness that transforms, to God's surprises that are so beautiful.  May He make us men and women who are capable of remembering what He does in our personal lives and in the history of the world.  May He make us capable of hearing him as the Living One, who lives and is at work amongst us.  May He teach us every day, dear brothers and sisters, to not seek among the dead for He who is living. Amen.”


Alleluia!  He is truly risen!


No comments: