Sunday, 7 April 2013

Divine Mercy Sunday, 2013

Icon-type drawing of "Christ Jesus, Divine Mercy", by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012

Most of you will recognize the above drawing as one I posted several months ago.  However, I know you will understand my posting it again today as today is Divine Mercy Sunday in many parts of the world.

Personally, I do wish it was celebrated in the Archdiocese of Toronto; but, at present, this is not the case.  However, since I watch a number of Catholic television programs from the U.S. where this Sunday is celebrated as Divine Mercy Sunday, I can't help but be very aware of its significance.  

Our dear late Holy Father, Blessed John Paul II, decreed that the first Sunday after Easter could be celebrated as Divine Mercy Sunday.  He did this, if I recall correctly, at the time when he declared St. Faustyna (Faustina in English) of Poland to be a saint.  In her writings, she talks about the repeated requests of Our Lord that this Sunday be declared Divine Mercy Sunday as a way to make the whole Church more aware of the infinite mercy of God.


A Photoshopped photograph, source unknown
Here is a photograph which I assume has been "Photoshopped" -- of course you never know....!  Anyway, I find it very meaningful as it shows the same merciful heart in the monstrance as St. Faustyna saw in the image of Jesus which appeared to her numerous times in the early part of the 20th century.

Sometimes now when I am looking at the monstrance during Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, I try to imagine that I can actually see these rays representing the blood and water which flowed from the pierced heart of Jesus as He hung on the cross.  As well, I occasionally try to imagine those rays coming all the way to where I am sitting and surrounding and enveloping me.  This can be quite a powerful and humbling experience when I am given the grace of a moment of un-distracted contemplation.  

So, after saying all of this by way of explanation, let me simply add:  May we all experience an awareness of the mercy of God on this Divine Mercy Sunday.


__________________________________________________


ANOTHER KIND OF ICON

Below is a recent drawing of my great-niece.  She is a beautiful, young girl just at that point in life where she is 21 one minute and 12 the next!  It is a crazy time in a girl's life, but it is such an important time as well as the decisions you make during those years can affect the rest of your life.  Thankfully, she has wonderful parents (and two sets of wonderful grandparents) to guide her along her way.


Drawing of  my great-niece "EG", by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2013


__________________________________________________________________________

KAREN'S VANCOUVER, SPRING, 2013

My friend, Karen, moved out to Vancouver a few years ago and I missed her very much.  During the first year she was gone, we really had no way to communicate due to various circumstances; however, after about a year, she purchased an iPad.  She learned quickly how to use it and, as a consequence, we now correspond frequently.  I still miss her, of course, but it is not quite so bad now as we send emails and photos back and forth.  

I must say, however, that sometimes her photos make me feel a bit envious.  If you look at the ones below, you can immediately understand why if you are living anywhere in the northeast of Canada or the U.S. where winter continues to hang in there.  I think to myself some days "has winter ever really been this long before?" So, when I look out and see are still leafless trees, I can just go and enjoy Karen's photos.  I hope you enjoy them as well.


"What a view!"

"Can you believe it, the blossoms have already come and reached the point of falling?!"




________________________________________________________________________

SUKI AND SALLIE


Suki hiding in the closest once again is not pleased
when I open the door to check on her and then,
indignity of indignities, take a photo!
Poor Suki!  She had just settled down yesterday for a long afternoon nap when, suddenly, the building's fire alarm went off.  Whenever this happens, Suki always makes a mad dash for the bedroom closet and her box in the back of it.  It is, in fact, probably the least noisy place to be during the time we have to wait for the fire department to arrive, check things out and then, finally, turn off the fire alarm.

As usual, it was a false alarm. Although it is normally a false alarm, I try not to allow myself to get too blasé about it all.  I always look out at the balcony to see if I can see any sign of smoke coming from other apartments on my side of the building.  Next, I check my front door (without opening it) to see if there is any sign of heat or smoke there coming from the hallway.  Finally, I turn my TV to the "lobby view" channel where I can see the two main entrances for the building and observe what is happening or not happening.  The reason I do not simply leave the building as we are supposed to is because I am designated as one of the building's disabled tenants and am supposed to wait to be rescued from my balcony!  

I sometimes let my imagination play with the different images that come to mind.  I see myself and Suki being rescued by a very strong fire fighter -- considering my size, he (or she) would need to be really strong.  Then I try to imagine how this would be accomplished and it really gets rather funny.  I also realize that if there was a serious fire in my vicinity of the building or in my apartment, I would take Suki and go down the stairs on my bum if need be!  That is another image that can make me laugh.  Thankfully, we have not yet ever had a serious fire in this building.

However, getting back to poor Suki in the closet, once the fire alarm was turned off, I opened the sliding door to tell her that she could come out now if she wanted to.  You can see from the look on her face what she thinks of that idea.  Actually, this particular photo was taken the last time this happened -- a month or so ago -- but she looked the same each time when I told her she could come out!  In fact, both times, she chose not to come out, but to stay there and sleep the afternoon away.

As for me, I am doing reasonably well at the moment -- mainly because my friends from the parish came by a short time ago, bringing with them our Lord Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament.  We had a lovely communion service and then  we prayed the Divine Mercy chaplet together.  That made everything feel just perfect for a while.

I was supposed to be starting some new drug this weekend which was prescribed by the sleep clinic doctor and was supposed to help me with the Restless Leg Syndrome (now officially known as Willis-Ekbom disease).  Her secretary called me late Friday afternoon to say that she had just faxed the prescription to my pharmacy.  I waited a while, expecting to get a call from the pharmacy at any moment; however, the phone did not ring.  Finally, I called the pharmacist to ask about the fax.  After checking, he informed me that no such fax had arrived!

I spoke with him once again before the store closed for the night and the fax never arrived!  All I can figure out is that the secretary tried to send it using the phone number instead of the fax number and since it was her quitting time, she left before the fax was actually sent.  Thus, I spent the weekend with no relief from this disease which over time can really help a person to become psychotic!  No, I am not there yet, but some days....  So, please continue to pray for this poor old lady.

I finally see the eye surgeon tomorrow and will let you know what he has to say about the way his handiwork is turning out.  I have discovered if I just hold my head sideways, you don't really notice that my eyes and eyebrows are no long aligned!  I have been practicing walking around this way, but find I have a difficult time trying to see where I am going on my right side.  After crashing into a number of things -- some of them quite hard and painful -- I decided that holding my head this way is too big a price to pay for vanity!  

Enough of this... I want to wish all of you a blessed and joyful Divine Mercy Sunday.  May our Lady, the Mother of Divine Mercy, gather us under her mantle as she intercedes for us with her divine Son.  Blessings to you all.


2 comments:

P. Melitón said...

Hello Sallie, very nice post. I´ve seen your "Christ Jesus, Divine Mercy" and it´s curious, I finished painting The Divine Mercy (oil on table) one month ago, it was a gift for my aunt and I didn´t know the correct name of this painting until I read your post.
Thank you for that information it´s nice.
If you want to see my paintings visit my blog
I hope you enjoy my paintings and my blog. Thank you again.

Sallie Thayer said...

P. Meliton: Thank you for your kind remarks. I looked at your blog and became a follower. I also looked at your art work but did not see a picture of your Divine Mercy. Will you be adding it? Thanks for making contact. Sallie