Sunday, 8 December 2013

Another Mother and Child

"Mother and Child (Art Nouveau Influence)" drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2013


The above drawing is another in my ongoing series of works depicting a mother with her child.  My drawing was somewhat influenced by a work of William Fulton Soare.  As far as I can tell, his painting of a mother and child was done in the late 1920s.

However, his work shows a mother and daughter in a very stylized pose depicting the styles of clothing and hair-dos of that period.  I was not interested in copying his work exactly; rather, I wanted to use the same positions of the figures while making the drawing mine.  The figures in his drawing became my models.

As most of you are well aware by now, I have a, yet, unsatisfied longing to draw what I consider to be the perfect image of a mother with her child -- an image which shows clearly that special bond between them.  As you also know, I usually prefer to draw a mother with her son as I am usually thinking of our Blessed Mother and her very special Son when I am doing such a drawing.  

Frequently, I end up including symbols which tell the viewer that this drawing is actually one depicting our Blessed Mother with her Son, Jesus.  This time, however, I have left the determination of just who these two people might be up to the viewer.  Of course, I may at some later time decide that I want to indicate that this is another drawing of Our Lady by adding a halo or nimbus -- only time and the movement of the Spirit will tell!

The finished drawing is, of course, not quite satisfactory as far as I am concerned.  The reason I feel this way is the same reason I have given over and over: it is almost impossible to properly show shadows and shading using my computer software.  I have found ways over the years to try to compensate, however, these techniques are really not very satisfying. Sometimes when I am working on a drawing, I really long to pull out my paint and brushes again, but I know better -- I would only end up in more pain than usual plus I would be very, very frustrated! 

At any rate, I will try to accept the limitations of my "medium" and just get on with doing what I am still able to do.  All I can say is that I hope my work occasionally speaks to you in some positive way.


______________________________________________________________________________

SOLEMNITY OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION, DEC. 08

"The Annunciation" by the hand of
Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2009

Since today is December 8th, we would normally be celebrating the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception.  However, since the feast fell on a Sunday this year, it has been transferred and will be celebrated tomorrow instead.

I love this feast day as it speaks to the marvelous nature of Our Lady's conception in the womb of her mother, St. Anne.

What a very special moment that was in time and in eternity when our Lady was conceived immaculate, free from the stain of original sin.  I remember years ago being told by a priest that it was as though Our Lady entered the waters of Baptism at the very moment of her conception.  And how could it be otherwise?  How could the Mother of Our Lord carry the stain of original sin and also carry the most pure and holy body of her Son in her womb?  

I have posted the icon I did (back when I was preparing my book on the Rosary) of the Annunciation -- see above.  The Gospel reading for tomorrow's Mass will be the account of the Angel Gabriel's announcement to the young Mary -- that she was to be the Mother of the Messiah!  The story never ceases to amaze me.  I try to remember myself as a young woman in my mid-teens and then try to imagine what my response would have been to such an announcement!  It certainly would not have been "Fiat" -- "be it done unto me according to your word."

How very grateful I am that Our Lady said "yes".  I pray that we all will be able and willing to say yes to whatever He asks of us.


__________________________________________________________________________


MY FRIEND, ROSE MARIE NICOLUCCI, THE ARTIST

Announcement about a Fine Art Christmas Sale from my friend, Rose Marie Nicolucci and other artists, from Beaux Arts Brampton.

All of you who follow this blog regularly have seen information several times before about art shows and sales in which my friend, Rose Marie, is involved.  I always like to try to help her and all the artists from Beaux Arts Brampton with a bit of publicity about their activities.

So, as you can see from the above poster, there is an art sale going on right now at 70 Main St. N in Brampton, Ontario.  If you live in the area, I know you will enjoy checking it out.  You might even find that perfect Christmas gift there!  


___________________________________________________________________________

SUKI AND SALLIE

I had just asked Suki if she
wanted to eat.  You can see from
 the expression on her face what
she thinks of such a foolish question! 
There is not much to report about either Suki or myself this week.

Suki's biggest problem has been deciding where to sleep each night. This difficulty has been caused by the fact that I have been changing beds practically every night in an effort to find some place where I am relatively comfortable!

At times I feel a bit like Goldilocks in the story about the three bears! Remember, one bed was too hard, one bed was too soft, but the third bed was "just right".  The main difference between my experience and that of Goldilocks is that she found a comfortable bed and I still haven't!

I have tried the recliner, the sofa and my bed.  I have tried each with and without all sorts of pillows.  Thus far, nothing seems to be quite right.  

The problem is, of course, pain.  I am trying to find a place where I will be comfortable enough so that I can get to sleep and stay asleep.  The problem for Suki is where she is going to sleep since she insists on sleeping somewhere close, often very close, to my sleeping place!

When I sleep in the recliner, she usually ends up sleeping on my chest even though that is rather dangerous.  It can be dangerous because if she starts to make me feel uncomfortable enough, because of her weight or the heat she generates, and this discomfort awakens me, I have been known to dump her rather roughly onto the floor!  She does not like this at all.

When I sleep on the sofa, she is usually content to sleep on the back of the sofa, right above my face.  This gives her the means to easily tap me on the face with her paw when she feels it is time for her to eat. This position also affords her some safety should I try to grab her or push her away!

When I sleep in my bed, Suki is usually content to sleep on the body pillow which I place between myself and the wall.  This is truly her favourite spot, I think, as she is able to both pat my face and even lick my face without having to move.  Both techniques are guaranteed to awaken me and she has an easy escape route off the side of the bed should I try to grab her!

Actually, for all my complaining, I really don't mind most of Suki's antics.  If I have been able to find some place that is reasonably comfortable enough to allow me to fall asleep, I normally am able to sleep soundly for enough hours so that I really am ready to get up by about 5 a.m. anyway!  This is fine with Suki.  Even though she would really prefer to have her breakfast at 4:30, she can usually wait another half hour without getting too impatient!

The only other item to mention is that I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I will, hopefully, be told the results of my latest tests along with the doctor's opinion about what is going on with me at present.  I will be able to tell you much more when I do my posting next Sunday.  Stay tuned! 

___________________
I pray that you will all have a wonderful second week of Advent. The time of preparation for Christmas goes so quickly.  I need to constantly remind myself that I need to prepare my heart to receive Our Lord anew at Christmas.  May Our Lady teach us how to wait patiently for the revelation of God in our lives.

Wishing you all many blessings as we celebrate the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception tomorrow.  "Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us.  Amen."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I think Suki is behaving as she knows Santa is coming to town very soon!

Sallie Thayer said...

Dear Anon: I am not sure that I would say that Suki is behaving! While she certainly has been no worse than usual, she has not been any better than usual. I guess I could say that Suki is behaving normally and hopefully Santa will accept that as "good" behaviour! What a cat!
Sallie

Anonymous said...

I hope you hang up Suki's sock so Santa can fill it with toys.

Sallie Thayer said...

Anon: I put up a BIG stocking for Suki because I am sure Santa is going to need a lot of room for all that coal!!! Actually, it would be nice if Santa brought Suki something this year. Last year she just got a couple of cans of her regular food. Poor Kitty... Right.
Sallie

Anonymous said...

I talked to Santa last night. We are seeing what we can do to make up for last year. Poor Kitty

Sallie Thayer said...

Dear Anon:
So should I tell Suki that Santa is going to be very good to her this year? Maybe I should tell her that Santa will bring her gifts ONLY if she behaves herself and lets me sleep in occasionally! How about that? S.

Anonymous said...

Santa will be more or less good to Suki, but you sleeping in occasionally, I don't know about that, as Suki likes to dine very early in the morning.

Sallie Thayer said...

Dear Anon: I am starting to wonder if your real name is Suki! If you are writing these comments on Suki's behalf, then I want to know how much she is paying you -- and where the money is coming from!! S.

Anonymous said...

Me writing to you on Suki's behalf, never. Have I ever told you a fib before? Anyway she has no money. Just to let you know Suki's Christmas present is on its way today. Hope you both enjoy. Hee Hee