Sunday, 6 July 2014

The Annunciation Revisited II

"Annunciation of Gabriel the Archangel", drawing by
Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2014

 In my blog posting of Sunday, June 22nd, I wrote the following paragraph:


[This week's] drawing, entitled "Annunciation to Our Lady", was inspired by another John William Waterhouse painting. The Waterhouse painting, entitled simply "The Annunciation", is a large canvas with the two figures (Our Lady and the Archangel Gabriel) placed in a horizontal frame. I, however, decided to do two separate drawings showing a single figure in each vertical frame. Thus, today's drawing is of Our Lady at the moment the Archangel appeared to her. Very soon, I plan to begin working on a drawing of the Archangel Gabriel as shown in this same Waterhouse painting and will probably be posting it a couple of Sundays from now.

As I promised above, this week I am posting the drawing of the Archangel Gabriel inspired by the same Waterhouse painting -- The Annunciation.  

I have posted not only the new drawing showing St. Gabriel, but the previous drawing of Our Lady.  I did this because I wanted you to see both individual drawings so that you could better appreciate the third drawing included in this section -- a combination of the two single drawings into one.



"Annunciation to Our Lady", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2014

Of course, the combined drawing is a bit forced as I have always found it difficult to exactly match two separate drawings when combining them --even when I have purposely worked at making the two fit.  Each drawing occurs in a different time and state of mind and so it seems, to me anyway, that they never really quite fit. Maybe at first glance it appears that both pieces were drawn as one, but a closer look reveals the differences -- not only slight mis-adjustments, but a lack of balance especially in the figures.



"Annunciation (inspired by Waterhouse)", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2014

Of course, I may be making more of these seeming discrepancies because I know each drawing so intimately.  I can't help seeing all the mistakes and aspects of each and then when I combine them, all the problem areas just seem magnified.  



____________________________________________________________________________

SUKI AND SALLIE


Suki taking a break from playing with her
favourite pieces of string!
Suki has had a difficult week!

First there was the strange man who came to visit and stayed well past Suki's midday feeding time. 

Suki really does not enjoy having unknown people in her home and this person stayed for over two hours! Even worse, I stayed with the man, talking and talking, which meant that Suki had to stay in the same room since she insists upon being wherever I am. Oh, did I mention that this strange man was a computer repair person?  Sorry, I thought I had already said something about why he was here, anyway.... 

My computer had developed a couple of unpleasant problems and even though I had tried my best to correct them, I just couldn't seem to manage it.  So, I called in a professional.  It turned out that the problem was some very stubborn malware (malicious software). Fortunately, the computer guy knew all about it and was able to boot that old so and so right out of my hard drive and clean up some other junk while he was at it!

To add insult to injury, as far as Suki was concerned, this strange man stayed until about 20 minutes past noon (he arrived at 10 a.m.).  Suki has me well trained so that she always gets her midday meal by noon at the latest.  As each second passed after the kitchen clock struck noon, I could see Suki becoming more and more upset. The moment the man left, Suki begin to cry piteously.  I fed her immediately.

The second reason Suki had a difficult week was due to the fact that the building's fire alarm went off at about 8 p.m. Thursday. Suki was well into that deep sleep that occurs within a couple of hours after a meal (she had her supper at 6 p.m. as usual) and so she jumped about a foot in the air when the alarm sounded.  She then made a mad dash for the bedroom closet and dove into her "bolt hole" (a storage box with old towels in it) in the very back of the closet!

Suki and I both truly dislike that fire alarm -- it is terribly loud, almost painfully so.  I quickly followed her to the bedroom as the sound is just a bit less intense there than elsewhere in the apartment.  Fortunately, the fire engines arrived quickly and soon after that the alarm was turned off.  I did not smell smoke, hear any running in the hallway and no one came knocking on my door so it was, I assume, another false alarm.  

Suki took no chances, however, and stayed in the back of the closet until after 10 p.m.  Ever since the time the alarm sounded within an hour after going off the first time, Suki has become seriously cautious about the whole matter!

As for me, I have had another quiet week with no appointments of any kind.  The visit from the computer repair person was tiring, but worth it.

This coming week I have a couple of appointments, but I do not expect either to be too difficult as they are both just for follow-up. Otherwise, everything remains pretty much the same with me -- only a few new aches and pains -- nothing major.


_______________________________________________


14TH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME


This Sunday's Gospel reading contains one of those statements that gives such comfort in times of trial and difficulty:
Come to me all you who labour and are burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy and my burden light.  Matt. 11:29-30

I pray that we may all experience that comfort which comes from resting in the Lord.


This Scripture passage reminds me of one of my favourite Irish blessings:

May the raindrops fall lightly on your brow. May the soft winds freshen your spirit. May the sunshine brighten your heart. May the burdens of the day rest lightly upon you and  May God enfold you in the mantle of His love.
Amen.



No comments: