Sunday, 24 August 2014

Woman with a Fan

"Woman with a Fan", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2014


Today's drawing was inspired by the work of a minor Spanish artist [Pedro Sáenz Sáenz (1863-1927)].  His painting, entitled: "Disfraz japonesa" (Japanese costume), shows a lovely young woman, holding a large, flat fan and dressed in what Sáenz considered to be a Japanese costume.  For some reason the pose and the face attracted my attention and led me to use this painting as the guide for the above drawing which I have called "Woman with a Fan".

Pedro Sáenz Sáenz was a Spanish pre-Raphaelite painter whose work was dominated by portraits, religious scenes and nudes -- what a combination!  His paintings were full of light with many elaborate details.  

Sáenz was born, lived and died in Málaga, Spain. As a young man, he studied art at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Málaga. In time, he became a member of what was known as the Málaga School of Painting where his work was strongly influenced by Bernardo Ferrandiz whose leadership revolutionized the teaching of painting in Málaga where he restructured the curriculum to resemble the teaching in the fine art schools of Europe.

There is little information available online about the life of Pedro Sáenz Sáenz.  I did find a photo taken in his studio, showing him standing in front of a large canvas of a religious scene.  However, there were mostly just web sites showing some of his paintings and always including what seems to be his most well-known work:  "Disfraz japonesa".

At any rate, my drawing is definitely not of a woman in a Japanese costume; however, I did like the idea of drawing a Spanish-looking woman holding a fan.  I considered adding a peineta (comb) with a mantilla (lace head covering), but decided not to try something this detailed at the moment.  Maybe I will, at some later date, try reworking this drawing and adding a peineta y mantilla!  Time will tell... 

  
________________________________________________________________________

SUKI AND SALLIE


Suki spouting some foolishness just because
I forced her to move from one sleeping place
to another (I needed the paper on which she
was lying)!
Well, Suki had a very exciting night!  Somehow, during the day yesterday, a fly got into our home. This foolish fly, which had obviously been resting for some hours, decided to start buzzing around the apartment just as I began my preparations to go to bed.  

Suki discovered the fly as she was about to have her bedtime snack (she had been begging for this snack for about half an hour).  However, just at the moment I put her food dish on the floor, we both saw a black object come flying up from that same floor.

Suki's food was completely forgotten as she began to make valiant efforts to capture said fly.  When she realized, once again, that she can no longer jump very high (due to the arthritis in her back legs), she immediately started making plaintive cries which translated as "please help me catch this flying thing... please, please, please!"

Even without Suki's pleas, I knew immediately that I was going to have to be the one to take care of the fly -- Suki is not a very good hunter even minus the arthritis!  Reaching into the rag bag, I quickly grabbed an old towel which I expertly wielded, knocking the fly to the floor on about my third swing.  

Once the fly was down and obviously stunned, I attempted to prove to Suki that this black object on the floor was the very same object she had just been chasing.  Sadly, she did not believe me. Even when I showed her the remains of the now dead fly as I held it in a tissue, letting her sniff it thoroughly, she still was not convinced.

So, for the next half hour, while I continued getting ready for bed, Suki did a complete search of the entire apartment.  She seemed certain that the dastardly fly was still hiding somewhere.  Even after I turned off all the lights and climbed into bed, I could still hear Suki searching for the fly as I fell asleep.

What about her bedtime snack sitting on the kitchen floor, you ask? Well, her dish was empty when I got up this morning so, obviously, she finally decided that the fly was gone and her food needed to be eaten!

I will have to be more careful in the future when opening the balcony door as this is the time of year when many a fly begins to seek the warmth of indoors as the nights get cooler.  I can't deal with having to catch too many flying creatures for this silly cat!

As for me, I continue to do poorly, as usual these days.  As you know, I have found ways of dealing with much of the pain and discomfort of each day. These techniques work fairly well for me most of the time and so I manage. There are those days, however, when nothing seems to work and all the unpleasantness seems to be magnified.  Thankfully, with help, I am still able to manage living on my own.


________________________________________________



21st SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME



"Icon St. Peter the Rock", by the hand of Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2013

Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi and he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” They replied, “Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter said in reply, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” Then he strictly ordered his disciples to tell no one that he was the Christ.  Matt 16:13-20

May these words comfort and sustain us in these troubled times.
May peace be with us -- one and all.
Amen.

No comments: