Sunday, 18 January 2015

At Twilight

"At Twilight", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2014


This drawing was inspired by a William Clark Wontner painting entitled "Esme".  I am unable to find any information about who, exactly, "Esme" was, but I found the face so striking that I wanted to try drawing it.

Wontner (1857-1930) was a neo-classical painter during the neo-classical movement of England. Wontner added Orientalist elements into his paintings because he loved to paint beautiful women often against white marble walls in classical oriental settings.

William Clarke Wontner was a friend of the Godward family and when their son, John William Godward (see posting of August 10, 2014, for details on the life of Godward), exhibited early drawing skills, the Godward family, opposed to the idea of their son becoming an artist, did agree to allow him to study architectural rendering classes from Wontner’s father on a recreational basis in the evenings. However, young Godward had other plans! He enlisted Wontner, who was a few years older and already advancing in his artistic studies, to be his mentor and even convinced Wontner to help him, secretly, attend a few night classes at local art schools. Later, Godward would reciprocate by being a major influence on Wontner's art as well as becoming his lifelong friend.

Although William Clarke Wontner never became more than a minor player in the art world, it never stopped him from painting the things he loved most -- beautiful women. He continued to paint until his death in 1930.

As usual, I wish I could do so much more with this drawing -- and, knowing me, I will probably try to create more satisfying details as I continue to discover new ways to use my drawing software.  Of course, what I really want to do is duplicate the subtle variations available with oil paints -- if only I could still hold those small brushes without immediately experiencing such painful cramps in my hands.  Ah well, instead of complaining, I will just be grateful that there still remain techniques that enable me to be a bit creative. So, thank goodness for the computer mouse!



Most of the historical details in this section were taken from various Internet sources.
_________________________________________________



RONÀN AND BRADEN


Some new photos of the boys.  

I understand poor, little Ronàn has been suffering through his first cold/flu experience.  Unfortunately, we all have to go through the process of building up our defenses against those sneaky viruses! Thankfully, he seems to be on the mend although I think it may take a bit longer for his mother (and his father) to recover from the experience! 



Ronàn in his new "suit"!  What a little man he looks like with his bow tie.




Braden with a new puzzle -- what fun!




It's also fun for Braden to be outdoors on a cold January day!




Ronàn holding on to someone while he sleeps peacefully.




_____________________________________________




SUKI AND SALLIE


Suki curled up in her favourite chair
With all the cold weather we have had recently, Suki has continued to spend an inordinate amount of time in my lap -- or on various parts of my anatomy.  

Of course, I really can't blame her as I am usually sitting in my recliner with the foot rest fully extended and a warm blanket over my legs and feet.  This must be terribly inviting to a cat who, like almost all cats, loves to be really, really warm.

Sometimes Suki is quite happy just sitting on my lap. Every so often, however, I am distracted from whatever I may be doing on my iPad by the sensation of Suki carefully making her way under the blanket where she begins the process of getting me to move my legs -- pushing and pulling until she has managed to make a space between my legs.  When this is accomplished, she curls up into a round ball and immediately proceeds to go back to sleep.

Meanwhile, I have to try to make myself as comfortable as possible without disturbing Her Highness too much.  Thankfully, I can usually find a position that seems to leave Suki satisfied while, at the same time, leaving me not too uncomfortable.  Occasionally, however, it is a particularly bad pain day and so I will end up having to force Suki to move elsewhere after a short time.  As you can imagine, she is not pleased about this at all.

I really should make a video of what occurs when this happens -- when I have to make Suki move either back onto my lap or onto the floor.  She resists my efforts at first and, if I persist, she starts with those plaintive meows at which she is so good!  It is really quite a performance and if it were not for the fact that I simply cannot put up with the extra pain she is causing, I would be so overcome by guilt that I would definitely allow her to stay and just endure the discomfort.  

I often think, at times such as this, of the name that John Mortimer's "Rumpole of the Bailey" gave to his wife:  "she who must be obeyed".  This would be a perfect name for Suki -- especially as far as she is concerned!

Other than these occasional problems with Suki and her sleeping arrangements, I am gradually getting back to normal -- or whatever you call my usual unhappy state.  In other words, I am slowly recovering from the flu although I continue to be a bit weaker than before and find that I have to be more careful when moving about as my gait seems to be less steady.  Hopefully, these symptoms will also improve over time.

At any rate, I am certainly in better shape than I was two weeks ago or even a few days ago.  I am particularly happy that those terrible coughing spells have ceased.  Hopefully, I will not have to have any more battles with those nasty flu viruses this winter.  I feel I have certainly done my bit in the fight against viral invaders!  

______________________________________________



SECOND SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME



"Icon -- Behold the Lamb of God", by the hand of Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2010 rev.



The next day again John was standing with two of his disciples; and he looked at Jesus as he walked, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God!” The two disciples heard him say this, and they followed Jesus. Jesus turned, and saw them following, and said to them, “What do you seek?” And they said to him, “Rabbi” (which means Teacher), “where are you staying?” He said to them, “Come and see.” They came and saw where he was staying; and they stayed with him that day, for it was about the tenth hour. One of the two who heard John speak, and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother. He first found his brother Simon, and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which means Christ). He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him, and said, “So you are Simon the son of John? You shall be called Cephas” which means Rock.
John 1:35-42 


Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world 
have mercy on us...
Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world 
have mercy on us...
Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world 
grant us peace...

And so goes the Agnus Dei which we say or sing at each Mass at the Fraction of the Host (when the priest breaks the Bread and puts a small piece of the Host into the chalice to signify the unity of the Body and Blood of the Lord in the work of salvation). 

So let us pray:  Lamb of God, grant us peace.

Amen.

No comments: