Sunday, 2 August 2015

Summer Days

"Enjoying a Summer's Evening", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2015


Today's featured drawing was inspired by a work of the American artist, Frank W. Benson (1862-1951), entitled :  "My Daughter Elisabeth" (1914, oil on canvas).
"Herons and Lilies" by F. W. Benson

Benson was an American artist from Salem, Massachusetts known for his portraits in the Realistic style, his Impressionist-style paintings (both oils and watercolors) and etchings. He began his career painting portraits of distinguished families and murals for the Library of Congress. Some of his best known paintings depict his daughters outdoors at Benson's summer home on the island of North Haven, Maine. The painting of his daughter, Elisabeth, which I used as my model is one of these. He also produced numerous paintings and etchings of wildfowl and landscapes (see oil on canvas above).   
As is often the case these days, I was drawn to Benson's painting of his daughter, Elisabeth, because of the position of the arms and hands.  Of course, as usual, I remain totally dissatisfied with the results!  So, I will have to consider this drawing simply a first draft and keep working on it in an effort to get those hands and arms placed and proportioned as they should be! 

I'm not complaining as I doubt that I will ever get them exactly as I want them to be.  No matter how good we are at whatever we do, perfection is not likely to be achieved this side of the grave -- if even then!





Information about Benson was taken from Wikipedia
_______________________________________________



SUKI AND SALLIE


"Well, I'm waiting -- either entertain me or feed me!"
Suki has been unusually well behaved this past week -- which has begun to make me rather nervous!

I mean, you would think that I would be pleased with her good behaviour; however, in the past when a spell of good behaviour has occurred, it has always been followed by the revelation of some outrageously clever, new skill.  I am not speaking of clever in the sense of a cat doing tricks like standing on her head -- no, I am speaking of ingenuously crafted techniques which will enable her to perhaps achieve her major goal:  getting me to feed her more often by waking me up earlier!

I mean, when she first started trying to get me out of bed in the morning, she would just try things like climbing on my pillow and purring loudly in my ear.  When this didn't work -- mainly because I could easily pick her up and dump her on the floor -- she gradually began to develop her repertoire which now includes the many skills I have mentioned in the past such as Venetian blind rattling, bell ringing, claws scratching on the glass windows, etc.

If I should happen to miss posting on my blog next Sunday, please contact the authorities as it may mean that I have ended up chained to the kitchen counter where the cat food is kept!  I'm sure the chain will be long enough for me to be able to put her food dish down on the floor, but too short to enable me to reach the telephone and call for help! 
Other than being a bit nervous about what Suki may do next, I am doing much the same.  I did have a bit of good news as I found out this past week that the infection which has troubled me for over two months now has finally been beaten by the 4th round of antibiotics!  Hooray for that.


Rose Marie Nicolucci, artist and friend
(photo taken by J. Gordon)
I did hear from one of the readers of my blog (who is also a dear friend) that she, her husband and a friend of theirs made a visit, yesterday, to the art show I was telling you about in last week's posting.  The one where my friend, Rose Marie Nicolucci, has some of her watercolours on display.  My friend sent me a photo of Rose Marie taken at the gallery. Not only did it give me great pleasure to see the photo, but I was truly delighted to know that my recommendation for a nice outing was taken seriously by a reader. Remember, if you are interested, Rose Marie and the other artists will have their work on display there until the 12th of August (see last Sunday's posting for all the other details).





___________________________________________



EIGHTEENTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME



"Icon -- I Am The Bread of Life", by the hand of Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2015 revision

...... So Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave the bread from heaven; my Father gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” So they said to him, “Sir, give us this bread always.” Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst.”  Jn 6:32-35


What can I possibly say when confronted by such a Mystery.

May we all experience that peace flowing from the gift of faith -- faith is that inner surety enabling us to believe that there is more to this life than our mortal minds can ever comprehend.  May we always remember that at the end all that remains are the "great three": faith, hope and love and may we never forget that the greatest of these is love.

Amen.

No comments: