Sunday, 3 January 2016

Gazanias, Gazanias

"Gazania 'Christopher Lloyd' ", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2015




Above, you see a drawing of another Gazania (a cultivar by the name of 'Christopher Lloyd').  Just below is a flower mandala I created using the three Gazanias I have drawn thus far plus some Aloe Vera "leaves".  




"Gazanias and Aloe Vera Mandala", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2015


Below is another pattern creation -- this time in straight lines -- using the Gazania 'Fiesta Red' flower and leaves.  

As well, I ended up using this design to make bookmarks (see template) which I gave to friends as a Christmas gift.



"Gazania 'Fiesta Red' in Rows", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2015




Bookmarks created by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2015



Gazania is a genus of flowering plants in the Asteraceae (Daisy) family. The genus is native to South Africa, Swaziland, Mozambique, Tanzania and Angola. They are widely cultivated as ornamental garden plants as the gardeners among you are well aware. Gazania cultivars have a number of names including 'Aztec', 'Burgundy', 'Copper King', 'Fiesta Red', 'Goldrush', 'Moonglow' and 'Christopher Lloyd'. Gazanias were named for Theodorus of Gaza, a 15th-century Italian scholar and translator of the botanical treatises of Theophrastus. The species name of rigens comes from the Latin and means frozen, stiff or rigid.

Aloe vera is a stemless or very short-stemmed succulent plant. The leaves are thick and fleshy, green to grey-green, with some varieties showing white flecks on their upper and lower stem surfaces. It is unclear where the plant originated as the plant has been widely cultivated throughout the world since earliest times. Even though there are, to my knowledge, no proven health benefits to aloe vera, it has been used in herbal medicines throughout the ages and even until now. Scientific evidence for the cosmetic or therapeutic effectiveness of aloe vera is limited and frequently contradictory. Despite this, the cosmetic and alternative medicine industries regularly make claims regarding the soothing, moisturizing, and healing properties of aloe vera. Aloe vera gel is used commercially as an ingredient in yogurts, beverages, and some desserts, although at certain doses, its toxic properties could be severe whether ingested or topically applied.  Aloe come from the Arabic word "Alloeh" and may mean patience.  Vera comes from the Latin word for truth, "verum" or "veritas".


Coming Attractions:  

In next week's posting, I will be featuring a mandala I have created using a lotus blossom I drew several years ago.  As well, I will be including a photo of a mandala oil painting I did back in the early 1970s. So, please stay tuned!








Some portions of the text above were taken from various Internet sources.
_______________________________________________________________________



SUKI AND SALLIE


"Suki Celebrating New Year's",
drawing by
Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2015

This drawing illustrates what those folks in the Fifth Estate call "spinning a story". Anyone who thinks that this drawing depicts anything close to the truth about how Suki spent this past Thursday evening has not been paying attention!

The truth is that Suki spent New Year's Eve the same way she always does: sleeping soundly until 11 p.m. at which time she began her campaign to try to get me to feed her the usual bedtime snack just a bit early.

The honest truth is that both Suki and I were sound asleep at the stroke of midnight when all you revellers were out there shouting "Happy New Year" to one another.  We both were briefly awakened soon after midnight by my noisy neighbours as they said "goodnight" to their friends at the elevators which, unfortunately, are located close to my apartment.  Thankfully, both Suki and I were able to return to our sleeping soon thereafter.

Otherwise, it was a fairly quiet week for both of us.  Joycelyn did spend a bit of time "teasing" Suki with the laser pointer during each of her visits (I will be saying more about cats and laser pointers in next Sunday's posting).  As well, I had a few visitors early in the week. 

On New Year's morning, I went upstairs to visit with my friend, Sharon and in honour of the New Year, we shared a piece of chocolate fudge cake that a friend had dropped off the day before.  Both Sharon and I figured that there was really no better way to bring in the New Year than by having a piece of sinfully rich chocolate cake!

This coming week should be a quiet one as well.  Joycelyn will be here as usual and a friend plans to drop by for a brief visit on Tuesday.  Otherwise, I should be able to use my usual pain distraction techniques as usual in order to get myself through the first full week of 2016.

I did ask Suki if she had made any New Year's resolutions and, surprisingly, she said "yes".  When I asked her to tell me how she planned to make her life better in the coming year, she told me that she has resolved to eat more, sleep more and to finally catch that "!*%!#* red dot".

I didn't make any resolutions, but if I had it would probably have been something like "try to just deal with today's pain without worrying about how you are going to deal with tomorrow's!"  It sounds good, but since I know I won't keep it, I decided not to make it in the first place.  Maybe next year.

Anyway, I do hope that 2016 will be a better year for us all.






_______________________________________________



THE EPIPHANY OF THE LORD




"Icon -- Epiphany of the Lord", by the hand of Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2010, rev. 2015



After Jesus had been born at Bethlehem in Judaea during the reign of King Herod, some wise men came to Jerusalem from the east. ‘Where is the infant king of the Jews?’ they asked. ‘We saw his star as it rose and have come to do him homage.’ When King Herod heard this he was perturbed, and so was the whole of Jerusalem. He called together all the chief priests and the scribes of the people, and enquired of them where the Christ was to be born. ‘At Bethlehem in Judaea,’ they told him ‘for this is what the prophet wrote: And you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, you are by no means least among the leaders of Judah, for out of you will come a leader who will shepherd my people Israel.’ Then Herod summoned the wise men to see him privately. He asked them the exact date on which the star had appeared, and sent them on to Bethlehem. ‘Go and find out all about the child,’ he said ‘and when you have found him, let me know, so that I too may go and do him homage.’ Having listened to what the king had to say, they set out. And there in front of them was the star they had seen rising; it went forward, and halted over the place where the child was. The sight of the star filled them with delight, and going into the house they saw the child with his mother Mary, and falling to their knees they did him homage. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts of gold and frankincense and myrrh. But they were warned in a dream not to go back to Herod, and returned to their own country by a different way.  Mt. 2:1-12


No comments: