Sunday, 24 January 2016

Tree Mandalas Plus Osteospermum


"Tree Mandala with Phases of the Moon", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2016



Well, it seems I have climbed back into my lovely trees once again... and here are the results.

The above mandala drawing does, indeed, represent both our planet (the earth, trees, clouds and sky) and our small part of the universe (the four phases of our moon).  At the centre is fire -- both the fire at the earth's core as well as the "fire of life".  There are several other representative symbols I have included as well, but I will leave it up to you and your imagination to discover them should you be interested in doing so.





"Tree Mandala -- Lady Tree in Moonlight", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2016




In the second tree mandala drawing (see above), I have tried using the moon, itself, along with the light it emits, as the framework for the mandala. The tree could be representative of the Tree of Life and since it contains a face (did you notice it?) it could also represent Mother Nature.  The other trees and the night sky in the background of the drawing might seem to just be part of a natural scene; however, their darkness could indicate how even the purest light can get polluted the more it co-mingles with the darker elements of life.  Once again, I leave it up to you -- if you are interested -- to see what other symbols might be present. 



OSTEOSPERMUM


As well, I have continued to play with flower drawings from the past out of a desire to create more "flower mandalas".  Today's offering combines three different Osteospermum drawings. 





"Mandala -- Osteospermum x 3", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer,  2016




Osteospermum is a genus belonging to one of the smaller tribes (Calenduleae) of the sunflower (Asteraceae) family. The scientific name is derived from the Greek osteon (bone) and Latin spermum (seed). It has been given several common names such as African Daisy, South African Daisy, Cape Daisy and Blue-eyed Daisy. There are about 50 species native to Africa.  As well, a number of "spooned" cultivars have been developed which are commonly known as "whirligigs".




"Osteospermum ecklonis ‘Whirligig’", drawing by
Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2015

Here are the three drawings of the individual flowers used in the "mandala" above.
I drew this white spooned flower last year.  It is a cultivar of Osteospermum ecklonis and is known as a Whirligig or Whirlygig.








"Osteospermum Purple", drawing by
Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2010, rev. 2015



This second drawing is of an unusual variety of Osteospermum which I drew back in 2010 and revised sometime last year.
















"Osteospermum ecklonis 'Serenity Lavender Bliss' ",
drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2009, rev. 2016 
The final flower was my first attempt at drawing a "spooned" African Daisy.  The drawing was completed and featured in my blog back in 2009.  

Recently, I made a few changes in preparation for using this flower as part of my "times three" Osteospermum mandala.



Next week, I will be featuring more flower mandalas -- probably either Primula (Primrose) or Magnolia.











Portions of the above information about Osteospermum were taken from Internet sources.
_________________________________________________________________





SUKI AND SALLIE




"I mean, you folks don't think I'm crazy,
do you?"

I want to apologize for my long-winded list of "Rules for Visitors Regarding the Use of the Laser Pointer When Playing with Suki" in last week's posting. 

One of my regular readers pointed out to me how tiresome it would be to have to read such a long list before sitting down for coffee and a visit.  And, after some reflection, I feel I must agree.  I mean, half of the time for the visit would be over before my friends could finish reading the entire list of rules!

So, I have decided that the best solution is to simply allow my friends to use the pointer -- and laugh over Suki's amazing gymnastics as she pursues that red dot -- for an appropriate amount of time. Then, I can strongly urge them to turn their attention to coffee and conversation. Hopefully, they will be able to take the hint.

You see, one thing I failed to mention previously is that not only does Suki seem to become addicted to trying to catch that red dot, the person holding the laser light also seems to reach a point where they don't want to stop moving the red dot back and forth!  I really do wonder if these laser lights have some sort of strange effect on the brains of cats and humans.  I think I am going to have to do a bit of research on this matter!

There is another oddity that has become apparent since the advent of the laser pointer in my home ... but I think I will save that until next time.

Suki's only new problem has to do with her arthritis.  She is obviously experiencing more pain in her hip joint as she is showing a lot of hesitation now before jumping from the floor into her chair and has, on occasion, requested my help.  I spoke with the vet about this matter on Wednesday and she suggested adjusting the dosage of one particular pain medication so that Suki will receive the full benefit of the medication but will not become overly sleepy.  I began her new regimen on Thursday and, so far, it seems to be helping.

I, on the other hand, continue as usual.  I have no new problems to report nor do I have any special appointments this week.  There will just be the usual -- Joycelyn and Sharon -- plus a quick visit to the podiatrist.  Unfortunately, I did receive a letter from the building management this past Friday stating that there will be a test of the fire alarm in our building on Tuesday morning.  This means that Suki will be making a mad dash for the back of the bedroom closet while I will head for my computer desk which is located at the one point in my apartment where the alarm is least loud. Otherwise, I hope to have a quiet week.




______________________________________________




THIRD SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME





"In the Synagogue at Nazareth", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2014




Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news of him spread throughout the whole region. He taught in their synagogues and was praised by all. He came to Nazareth, where he had grown up, and went according to his custom into the synagogue on the sabbath day. He stood up to read and was handed a scroll of the prophet Isaiah. He unrolled the scroll and found the passage where it was written: The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring glad tidings to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, and to proclaim a year acceptable to the Lord. Rolling up the scroll, he handed it back to the attendant and sat down, and the eyes of all in the synagogue looked intently at him. He said to them, “Today this Scripture passage is fulfilled in your hearing.”  Luke 4:14-21



No comments: