Sunday, 7 February 2016

Mandala Nymphaea -- Water Lily

"Mandala Nymphaea -- Water Lily", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2016




Sorry, but I am still in my "create a mandala from flower drawings" mode. Hopefully, for your sake, I will be moving into some new modality fairly soon, but for now I want to show you today's mandala effort in which I combine a Water Lily blossom, a number of Water Lily buds, a circle and the infinity symbol.

I have featured drawings of Water Lilies in several postings over the past seven plus years.  However, just in case you can't recall the details about these fascinating "flowers that float," here are a few details.

Nymphaea (Water Lily) is a genus of aquatic plants in the family Nymphaeaceae. There are about 50 species in the genus. Its original habitat may have been along the Nile and in nearby locations of East Africa but it now can be found in almost any suitable habitat on the planet. 

The common name, shared with some other genera in the same family, is "Water Lily". The generic name, Nymphaea, comes from the Greek term "Νυμφαία", related to "Νύμφη" meaning "nymph". In Greek mythology, the nymphs were supernatural, feminine beings associated with springs of water so the application of the name to these delicately-flowered, aquatic plants is certainly understandable.



"Daylilies, Burgandy",
drawing by
Sarah "Sallie" Thayer 


"Calla Lily -- 'Mothers Day' ",
drawing by
Sarah "Sallie" Thayer
Despite their name, water-lilies are not related to the true lilies (Liliaceae). 

The name "lily" is applied to a number of plants that are not at all closely related, such as daylilies (see above left) and, my favourite, calla lilies (see right). 

Even though the genus, Nymphaea, includes a water lily known as the Egyptian Lotus, it is not related to the well-known Indian and Chinese lotus of the genus, Nelumbo. These aquatic plants are the true lotus blossoms and, as such, are considered sacred to the followers of Hinduism and Buddhism (see my comments regarding my drawing of the Indian Lotus mandala posted 10 January 2016).  







"Water Lily Blossom and Bud --  Nymphaea -- Pink", drawing by
Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, rev. 2016



Above is my drawing of a water lily from several years ago, The main elements of today's mandala creation were taken from this drawing.

Below, is today's featured mandala after it had been subjected to my new software.  As I mentioned in a recent posting, I don't think I will be able to resist playing with the software -- so, until I get bored with it, expect to see all sorts of additional sunbursts and starry skies overlaying my drawings! 




"Mandala Nymphaea -- Water Lily -- Enhanced", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2016








Information regarding Nymphaea was taken from various Internet sources.
_____________________________________________________________________





SUKI AND SALLIE



Suki enjoying the winter sunshine


Well, as I mentioned last Sunday, the batteries in the laser pointer are almost depleted.  

When Joycelyn was here on Thursday, she could only get the laser light to work for a couple of minutes before it began to fade -- much to Suki's dismay, I might add!

So, we discussed whether to get some new batteries and we decided against it.  Even though these watch-type batteries cost quite a bit and the laser pointer requires three of them, that was not our main concern.  Rather, we are both worried about the way Suki, who pushes herself to the limit when chasing that "red dot", is suffering after these play times.  

On Monday (the laser pointer was still working reasonably well), after Suki had madly dashed up and down the length of the hallway several times, we both noticed that she was starting to limp rather badly.  When I touched her hip joint, it was obvious that she was experiencing quite a bit of pain.  I immediately gave her some of the pain medication the vet has prescribed and within a short time, she was walking normally again.

So, even though exercise is good for Suki, too much exercise can be bad.  She will play with her "normal" cat toys at some point during the day, but none of these have the same effect as the light of the laser pointer does.  It almost seems to do something to her brain so that she pushes herself to the point of harm and, even then, still wants to continue to chase that "red dot".  

Now, it will be interesting to see just how long it takes for Suki to realize that the "red dot" won't be coming back -- and then observe what she does about it!

I, on the other hand, continue as usual.  In fact, at this moment, my pain awareness level is lower than it has been for some weeks.  I attribute this to the fact that I have finally worked out a regimen for using my THC capsules effectively.  [For those of you who do not remember, Tetrahydrocannabinol is the main active ingredient in Cannabis (marijuana) and which is now being isolated and put into capsules for use in pain management].  

Anyway, when I first tried using these capsules several months ago, I found that my body seemed to function less well, not better.  So, I actually stopped using them after the first 24 hours as I had made a snap judgement that they simply were not going to work for me.  

Thankfully, after the pain problems increased to the point that I was feeling rather desperate, I decided to give the capsules another try. This time, however, I made the decision to try taking less than the prescribed dose and that seems to have made all the difference. Over the past few weeks, I have started to notice that the pain, while still present, is just a little less often in the forefront of my bodily awareness.

Pain, and the way we individually experience it, is a fascinating topic.  I say this not only because the management of pain takes up such a huge amount of my time and awareness, but also because I have observed such different kinds of pain in my own body over the past 18 to 20 years.  As well, there is the whole area of my awareness of those different kinds of pain depending on what else in my environment is trying to capture my attention.  Then these elements must be combined with my mental and emotional state at any given moment. 

One of these days, I will share some of these insights so you can see if they, in any way, correspond to your own experiences.  For the moment, however, I am just happy that my body is a tiny bit more comfortable than it was a few months ago.





_____________________________________________



FIFTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME





"Icon -- St. Peter: Fisherman and First Pope", drawing by
Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, rev. 2016




Once, while Jesus was standing beside the lake of Gennesaret and the crowd was pressing in on him to hear the word of God, he saw two boats there at the shore of the lake. The fishermen had gone out of them and were washing their nets. He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little way from the shore. Then he sat down and taught the crowds from the boat. When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch.” Simon answered, “Master, we have worked all night long but have caught nothing. Yet if you say so, I I will let down the nets.” When they had done this, they caught so many fish that their nets were beginning to break. So they signalled their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both boats, so that they began to sink. When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, “Go away from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man!” He and all who were with him were amazed at the catch of fish that they had taken and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. Then Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching people.” When they had brought their boats to shore, they left everything and followed him.  Luke 5:1-11


 Is this not the most amazing story?!

Not because of the miraculous catch of fish after the men had fished all day and "caught nothing".  No, that sort of thing could happen for all sorts of reasons -- both logical and illogical.  

Instead, what makes this story so amazing to me is that these hard-working men with families and responsibilities suddenly left everything and followed Christ. These four men -- Peter, Andrew, James and John -- "left everything".  

Without making arrangements, settling accounts, packing a suitcase or saying goodbye, they simply walked off down the road, following this man, this Messiah!

____________________

As an addendum, I have always wondered about the families of these men. I mean, we know that some of these guys were married and had families. I can't resist trying to imagine what "Mrs. St. Peter" was thinking when, instead of her husband arriving home with a couple of fish for supper, she is given a basket full of fish while being told by her neighbours that her husband has left town to follow the Messiah!

No comments: