Sunday, 17 April 2016

Hoya pubicalyx

"Hoya pubicalyx -- Pink Silver", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2016



I have posted information about the Hoya genus twice before in this blog: once in August, 2011 when I posted a drawing of Hoya carnosa (see below, left); the second time was also in August, but the year was 2014 when I posted a 
"Hoya carnosa", drawing by 
Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2011
drawing of Hoya imperialis (see drawing at end of section).  

Since posting these drawings, I have continued to study these fascinating plants which are native to the Far East -- their range stretching from India to Australia. 


Now, let me share a bit of what I have learned about Hoya and Hoya pubicalyx, in particular.



Hoya pubicalyx ‘Pink Silver’ is a cultivar of the genus, Hoya. 'Pink Silver' was first cultivated in the Philippines. It produces large clusters of fragrant, attractive, star-shaped, pink flowers edged with white hairs. The leaves are dark green, often curling inward, with silver markings and lighter green underneath. 

Hoya is a member of the sub-family, Asclepiadoideae, which, until recently, was considered to be a family, not a sub-family. These days, all the “Asclepias” or “Milkweed” family members have been placed under the umbrella of the Apocynaceae (Dogbane) family. All species of Hoya are commonly known as Wax Plants due to the waxy look of the flower petals.  


"Hoya imperialis", drawing by
Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2014
The genus, Hoya, was named for Thomas Hoy, an early 19th-century British botanist and head gardener for the Duke of Northumberland. The specific name of “pubicalyx” is taken from the Latin and means hairy calyx (“calyx”, although used in Latin, actually comes from the Ancient Greek κάλυξ and means "husk" or "pod") or "hairy husk".






Portions of the above text were taken from various Internet sources.
_____________________________________________________________






BRADEN AND RÒNÀN  





Here are some recent photos of "my boys".  I am always surprised, as I view each new batch of photos I receive, at how much they have grown in just a matter of weeks!





Braden the firefighter!






Rònàn explaining why children need to be careful around water





Rònàn gets the ball and heads for the net.  Come on, Braden. Go after that ball!





Rònàn getting acquainted with Mickey and the gang





Braden, who loves cars and all manner of motorized vehicles, 
seems to be enjoying a much older form of transportation.







_____________________________________________________________





SUKI AND SALLIE





Suki says:  "I don't think that wanting
someone to play the "red dot game"
with me whenever I am awake is
too much to ask!
As the batteries continue to die in the laser pointer, Suki continues to beg everyone who comes to visit to play the "red dot game" with her.  

It is almost embarrassing to watch Suki's fawning behaviour as she tries to get someones attention and then direct their vision towards the laser pointer sitting on the coffee table -- just waiting to be turned on.  

Until the arrival of this infernal laser machine, Suki had always been rather aloof with visitors -- often ignoring them completely. Now, she goes and sits next to them, looking into their eyes, purring loudly and letting herself be scratched (even in places where she normally does not like to be scratched).  She really plays up the sweet kitty routine to perfection -- all with an eye to turning the person's attention to the bright silver, laser pointer, tauntingly fashioned in the shape of a mouse. 

When no visitors are here, Suki is her usual self, following her normal routine and ignoring me unless she is hungry or wants to sleep in my lap for a while. 


Although she tries to hide it, I can tell that the arthritis pain in her hip is getting worse.  Poor thing, like me she has a physical disability for which there is little treatment other than pain medication.  I hate to think about it, but I should probably consider taking Suki back to the vet before long so that they can adjust her medication once again , giving her, perhaps, just a bit more relief.

As for me, things continue in their usual way.  This past week was pleasantly quiet with no appointments or problems.  I do have a medical appointment this week, however, with someone who will be trying a new form of pain-relief therapy.  I will let you know if I think it will help.

Our weather is finally turning Spring-like with milder temperatures and sunny skies.  Hopefully, we have had our last cold spell until sometime in late October.






____________________________________________





FOURTH SUNDAY OF EASTER





"Christ the Good Shepherd", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, revised 2016




Today I am including the Alleluia response along with the Gospel since they complement one other so well.


Alleluia                                                                     John 10:14


                                                                          
R. Alleluia, alleluia. I am the good shepherd, says the Lord; I know my sheep, and mine know me. R. Alleluia, alleluia. 


Gospel                                                                      John 10:27-30  



Jesus said: “My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish. No one can take them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one can take them out of the Father’s hand. The Father and I are one.”


No comments: