Sunday, 15 May 2016

An Old Favourite

"Fiery Calla Lilies", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2016



I imagine some of your are saying to yourself:  "Not Calla Lilies again!"  The answer is, obviously, "Yes, more Calla Lilies".  You know I can't resist them!

The Calla Lilies in this drawing, however, are just a bit different from most of my other drawings of these flowers. Instead of being filled with gentle curves so typical of these lilies, the Calla Lilies in the drawing above are fiery and angry looking. This is accomplished by selecting strong colours as well as the use of lines composed of sharply pointed, triangular shapes -- notice particularly the base of the flowers as well as the tips of the leaves. I feel as though I have discovered an entirely new aspect of these blossoms -- which undoubtedly means I will be drawing more Calla Lilies in the future!

Speaking of previous drawings, following is a selection of some of my favourite Calla Lily attempts from the past:



"Calla Lily for Mother's Day",
drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer,
2010







"Calla Lilies in the Garden",
drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer,
2011

























"Calla Lilies in a Glass", drawing by
Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2012


As you may recall, Calla Lilies (also known as Arum Lily or simply Calla) are not true lilies at all. They were placed in the family Araceae (not Lilium) and the genus Zantedeschia and are native to southern Africa from South Africa to Malawi. 


The Zantedeschia species are poisonous due to the presence of calcium oxalate. "All parts of the plant are toxic, and produce irritation and swelling of the mouth and throat, acute vomiting and diarrhea."  As beautiful as they are, they are also dangerously tempting to young children and pets.



I think I have always been fascinated by these blossoms every since I first saw the amazing paintings of Calla Lilies created by such masters as Georgia O'Keefe and Diego Rivera.  Below are just two samples of their incredible artistry. 



"Single Lily with Red",
by Georgia O'Keefe,
1928


"Flower Vendor" by Diego Rivera (1911)
















This old favourite continues to challenge me and I want to keep trying to draw it until I get it right!  So, like it or not, there are bound to be more drawings of Calla Lilies in future postings!






Certain portions of the above are taken from various Internet sources.
________________________________________________________________




SUKI AND SALLIE



Suki telling me just
how badly she is hurting.


The Suki story you are about to read is not the one that I had originally planned to be telling... However, when I awakened this morning a couple of hours later than usual, I knew immediately that Suki must be in trouble.

In all the years I have lived with Suki, she has never failed to awaken me at the same time every day.  She has been like a "no-fail" alarm clock.  So I knew instantly that there was no way she would allow me to sleep-in for two hours.  Something must have happened to her.  

I began to search for her immediately and soon found her in the kitchen lying on the throw rug in front of the fridge -- I think she likes that spot because of the warm air that flows out from behind the refrigerator.  As soon as she saw me, she tried to stand up but could only manage it by leaning against fridge so that she did not have to put any weight on her back left leg.  She tried to walk towards me, but could only hobble for a few steps before she had to lie down again.

I quickly measured out a dose of her pain medication in the syringe and gave it to her.  Then I fixed her food so that it would be very easy to eat while she was lying down.  And that is exactly what Suki did -- she ate her entire breakfast without ever standing up. Once she had finished, I carefully picked her up and transported her to her favourite chair in which she is now sleeping -- a sleep that hopefully will continue for at least the next five hours. Then it will only be another hour before I can give her more of the pain medication.

Poor kitty... this definitely means a trip to the vet -- hopefully tomorrow! 

As for me, I continue to be about the same as usual.

I did have three doctor's visits this past week: one was a six-month's check-in visit and the other two were follow-up visits. Nothing transpired during any of these visits that would indicate that there might be new problems and I am sure the routine blood work I went for afterwards will reveal nothing new.

Thankfully, this week I have only one doctor's appointment and one visit to the lab so there shouldn't be any problem in finding a time when I feel well enough to take Suki to see the vet. As I said, I will, hopefully, be able to get her in for a quick visit tomorrow.





____________________________________________



PENTECOST SUNDAY





"Icon -- Descent of the Spirit at Pentecost", by the hand of
Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2016 revised



Jesus said to his disciples: “If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate to be with you always. “Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him. Those who do not love me do not keep my words; yet the word you hear is not mine but that of the Father who sent me. “I have told you this while I am with you. The Advocate, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and remind you of all that I told you.”  John 14:15-16, 23b-26          



No comments: