Sunday, 1 May 2016

Pink Flowers

"Mandala -- Hibiscus Tree", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2016



While the name of today's column is "Pink Flowers", both the Bleeding Heart flowers as well as the blossoms of the Hibiscus Tree can be found in a number of colours other than pink. However, I chose to draw the pink version in both cases.

Today's first featured drawing is in the form of a mandala with Hibiscus blossoms at the centre although placed in the background behind the tree. Hibiscus trees, as you are probably aware, are not very tall and the slender branches are usually intertwined.  There is some symbolism in this drawing, but I will leave it up to you, the reader, to discover this for yourself -- if you are interested.

As for the Hibiscus plant, it is a genus of flowering plants in the mallow family (Malvaceae). It is a large family, containing several hundred species that are native to warm-temperate, subtropical and tropical regions throughout the world. Member species are often noted for their showy flowers which are commonly known simply as hibiscus, or, less widely known, as rose mallow. 

The genus includes both annual and perennial herbaceous plants, as well as woody shrubs and small trees. Numerous varieties, cultivars, and hybrids are available with flower colours ranging from white through yellow and orange to scarlet and shades of pink. 

The name, Hibiscus, comes from the Greek, ἱβίσκος (hibískos) which means “mallow-type plants” (a mallow-type plant has a funnel-shaped flower with 5 separate petals and a distinctive column of stamens surrounding the pistil).

All Hibiscus flowers are edible and are often used in salads and other foods. As well, the flowers and various parts of the plant are used in folk medicine throughout East Asia (including the Pacific island nations), South America and the Caribbean for many conditions, including headache, irregularity, prostate disorders and menstrual problems. 

A final item of interest – as many of you are aware, the hibiscus flower is traditionally worn by Tahitian and Hawaiian girls. What you may not know is that if the flower is worn behind the left ear, the woman is married or in a committed relationship; however, if the flower is worn behind the right ear, she is single or openly available for a relationship.   

Next, I want to show you a recent drawing I did of another pink flower -- the Bleeding Heart plant (see below).  






"Bleeding Heart -- Lamprocapnos spectabilis", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2016




Lamprocapnos spectabilis (Bleeding Heart) is a species of flowering plant in the poppy family (Papaveraceae) and is native to Siberia, northern China, Korea and Japan. It is valued by gardeners and by florist for its heart-shaped pink and white flowers, borne in spring. The outer petals are bright fuchsia-pink, while the inner ones are white. As mentioned, the flowers strikingly resemble the conventional heart shape, with a droplet beneath.

The first specimens were introduced to England from Asia in the 1840s by the Scottish botanist and plant hunter Robert Fortune.

The genus name of Lamprocapnos is taken from the Greek “lampros” meaning shining and “kapnos” meaning smoke, while the species name of "spectabilis" is taken from the Latin and means spectacular.

As usual, I will look forward to receiving emails with your comments about today's drawings.  






Portions of the above were taken from various Internet sources.
_________________________________________________________________




MY BOYS


Here are some new photos of "my boys" who are rapidly growing and changing.  It never ceases to amaze me how quickly a child goes from being a baby to being a little person all unique and complex!



Brothers





"I want them all!"





Sitting for a moment with the adults ... and listening ...







________________________________________



SUKI AND SALLIE



"Look deep into my eyes ... now, you will
obey my every wish ... feed me!"
Recently, while a dear friend was visiting, she took a photo of Suki which she then emailed to me.

When I saw the photo, with Suki's big eyes starring out, I immediately had the urge to subject it to my photo enhancing software.  You can see the result at the right.

Interestingly, I find the enhanced photo makes me feel just a bit uncomfortable.  In fact, I really don't like to look at it for more than a few seconds at a time as I have this strange fear that if I look at it for too long, I will end up hypnotized and more of a slave to Suki than I already am! That's not crazy thinking, is it? 

Sorry, I have got to stop for a moment.  I just realized, after looking at the photo while writing the above, that poor Suki hasn't had any of her favourite treats in at least an hour!  Poor thing!  I must feed her right away.

Just kidding... no photo is going to make me feel uncomfortable enough to give somewhat-overweight-Suki any extra food!

..........

As for me, I am doing much the same although my life has gotten just a bit busier since the need arose for me to make an appointment at my dental clinic.  I ended up with an appointment there last Wednesday and will be going back again this coming Tuesday.  As well, so I was informed, I will be needing two additional appointments in the weeks after that.  These are very sneaky people who seem to be intent on separating me from my savings!

By the way, Happy Easter to all my Orthodox friends.  As well, special greetings to any followers or friends who are celebrating International Workers' Day.  And, since I don't want to leave anyone out, Happy May Day to any of you who may observe the Celtic, Wiccan or Druid traditions associated with this day.  

As for me, May 1st became a special day many years ago after I became acquainted with a young woman who is now one of my dearest friends and who has a birthday on May 1st.  Happy Birthday, G.





____________________________________________



SIXTH SUNDAY OF EASTER





"Icon -- Waiting for The Advocate to Arrive", by the hand of
Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, revised 2016






Jesus said to his disciples: “Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; yet the word you hear is not mine but that of the Father who sent me. “I have told you this while I am with you. The Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and remind you of all that I told you.
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid. You heard me tell you, ‘I am going away and I will come back to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father; for the Father is greater than I. And now I have told you this before it happens, so that when it happens you may believe.”        John 14:23-29


No comments: