Sunday, 24 July 2016

Canada's Tulip

"Canada's Tulip -- 150 Years, July, 2017", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2016



Recently, my dear friend, Joyce, sent me an email which contained a photograph of a very special tulip -- the 'Canada 150 Tulip'.  I had heard someone mention it several months ago and had meant to check it out; however, as with so many things these days, I forgot. So I was delighted to receive a reminder.

In fact, I was so delighted that I decided to go ahead and do some drawings of this special tulip.  I ended up with 5 drawings.  I am not quite satisfied with any of them yet; however, here are two with which I am somewhat pleased (see drawings above and below). Now, let me tell you just a bit about this special flower.





"Canada's Tulip -- July, 2017", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2016






The Canada 150 Tulip was "bred" in the Netherlands.  I googled it and came across a quote from His Excellency Cees Kole, Ambassador of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, which read:  

The Canada 150 Tulip represents gratitude and the long-standing friendship between Canada and the Netherlands. Blooming in the colours of Canada’s flag, [the] Canada 150 Tulips will bring both pride and joy to gardens and communities from coast to coast to coast.

By next July, as we celebrate 150 years since Confederation, over 300,000 of these red and white lilies will be showcased in the National Capital Region's flower beds in Ottawa with thousands more expected to be planted in community gardens across Canada. What a glorious sight that will be!



Dows Lake, Commissioners Park, Ottawa
(Wikipedia -- Photo taken 2006)
Wikipedia states the following: 
"The Canada 150 tulip, also known as the Maple Leaf tulip, is the official tulip of Canada’s 150th anniversary and was unveiled May 9, 2016 in Commissioners Park, Ottawa. The tulip was selectively bred with an elegant white flower and red flames, which resembles the flag of Canada." 




_____________________________________




SUKI AND SALLIE



"Suki -- the Undercover Cat"

I am delighted to report that Suki has had a good week.  She seems to be handling her medication well.  She is showing only a slight bit of hesitation now as she goes to jump up on something and her limp is barely noticeable.

Thankfully, she has retained her fondness for turkey with gravy.  In an effort to help Suki lose weight and following the vet's advice, I have stopped giving her any dry food at all.  This means, of course, that Suki is very hungry now as we approach her meal times. Hopefully, by the next vet visit, her weight will be down by a pound.  [BTW, in case you have forgotten, Suki needs to lose a bit of weight so that there will be less strain on her ruptured cruciate ligament.] Of course, occasionally I still give her a couple of those little cat treats she loves so much, but I try to do this only once or twice a week and I limit her to just a couple each time.

Otherwise, this has been a reasonably quiet week for both Suki and for me. I did have one medical appointment, but that was an easy, follow-up-type appointment.  Apart from that there was just my usual weekly visit with dear Sharon as well as the regularly scheduled time with the irreplaceable Joycelyn!

As you may recall me mentioning, today, the 24 of July, is the day of my visit with "my boys".  So, I am actually writing this text on Saturday, but I won't be posting it until tomorrow morning just before I leave for early brunch at the home my boys share with their parents.

Here are a couple of recent photos of these two amazingly, wonderful children.  Judging from the photos, I would think that older brother, Braden, is "reading" one of his books to his little brother, Rònàn. After listening for a few moments, little brother decides he has had enough and strikes a pose which shows exactly what he thinks of this particular story!




Braden reads a story to his little brother





Little brother decides to graphically express his opinion of the story being read!



Next Sunday, I can tell you all about my visit -- and maybe, if the boys will stay still long enough, there will even be some photos!





______________________________________





SEVENTEENTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME





"Icon -- Our Father...", by the hand of Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, rev. 2016


Jesus was praying in a certain place, and when he had finished, one of his disciples said to him, "Lord, teach us to pray just as John taught his disciples." He said to them, "When you pray, say: Our Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come. Give us each day our daily bread and forgive us our sins for we ourselves forgive everyone in debt to us and do not subject us to the final test."
 .......... 


"And I tell you, ask and you will receive; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. What father among you would hand his son a snake when he asks for a fish? Or hand him a scorpion when he asks for an egg? If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?"  

Luke 11:1-4, 9-13

No comments: