Sunday, 17 July 2016

Eremurus stenophyllus -- Foxtail Lilies

"Eremurus stenophyllus -- Foxtail Lilies", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2016




"Kniphofia uvaria -- Torch Lilies",
drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer,
2013
Back in June of 2013, I posted a drawing of Kniphofia uvaria (see left), and even though they are not part of the Lily Family, they are commonly known as Torch Lilies. Today's featured drawing, Eremurus stenophyllus, commonly known as Foxtail Lilies, is, in fact, a member of the Lily Family.  

Although these two plants are barely even distant cousins, they both have something in common other than being called "lilies" -- with both, the "flower-head" is composed of many, many tiny "flowerets".  While I find these types of plants attractive and appealing, all those little flowers and buds require a lot of work -- not only drawing them but also the "building-up" of the whole "flower-head" part of the plant. 

By the time I finish, I have created a huge file which slowly becomes more and  more cumbersome to work with.  I know I need the type of Mac that runs software built to handle large art files, but somehow I never seem to get up the nerve to try to transfer all my art work from Windows to a Mac!

Anyway, enough complaining... let me tell you instead a bit about this fascinating plant from the genus, Eremurus.

Eremurus (family, Liliaceae) is a genus of deciduous perennial flowers, also known as foxtail lilies or desert candles. They are native to eastern Europe (Russia and the Ukraine) and temperate Asia in an area stretching from Turkey, north to Siberia and then eastwards to China. 

The many, small flowers produced crowd together on the long stalk in such a way that Eremurus actually looks similar to a group of bottle-brushes waiting to be used. 

The flowers of Eremurus stenophyllus (the drawing featured in today’s posting) are coppery to bright yellow in colour; however, the flowers of the many other varieties of Eremurus range in colour from white to pink to orange or any combination of those colours. 
The leaves grow in tufts of thin, green, strap-like strips. 

The various species of Eremurus are known for their thick roots which grow out from a central hub as well as for their height -- sometimes rising up to 10 feet over the foliage. 

The genus name, Eremurus, is taken from the Greek and means “single tail”. The species name, stenophyllus, is also taken from the Greek and means “narrow leaves”.





Portions of the above text are taken from various Internet sources.
____________________________________________________________




SUKI AND SALLIE 



Suki sits and stares at me!
You may recall my posting of July 3, 2016, wherein I recounted how Suki was commandeering my recliner first thing in the morning just as I was ready to sit in it, sipping my coffee while watching the news.  I made a statement in that posting which read: "I have informed Suki that this is one battle she cannot win."  Perhaps I should not have put it quite so forcibly -- anyway, let me tell you how things have progressed since then.

After pushing Suki out of my chair morning after morning for about a week, she decided that it made sense for her to get into her other favourite chair instead of trying to begin her after-breakfast nap in my recliner. The first morning this happened, I congratulated myself on having achieved a great victory in this ongoing battle between what I want and what Suki wants. However, I soon learned that this was such a Pyrrhic victory that it was really no victory at all. Let me explain by describing the sequence of events of my normal morning these days.

I am awakened at exactly 6 a.m. by Suki rattling the blinds.  Once up, I am "shephered" towards the kitchen by this feline where I sleepily prepare her food.  Once I have served her breakfast, I am free to take care of my own morning ablutions.  

After eating my breakfast, I pour myself a cup of coffee and head for my recliner which, thankfully, these days, is empty of any cats! I sit myself down, turn on the news and settle back in the chair with my coffee cup within easy reach on the end table. This all sounds perfectly lovely, doesn't it?  However, just wait...   

After about 25 minutes, my peaceful morning routine is interrupted by the sound of a cat meowing as she jumps out of the chair nearby where she had appeared to be sleeping soundly.  In fact, she has simply been waiting.... waiting for what she considers to be sufficient time to pass before she claims her absolute right to take her morning nap in my recliner.

I, of course, have no intention of giving up my chair quite yet which is what I tell Suki in my best schoolmarm's voice.  She ignores me and continues to sit in my line of sight and simply stare. So, at this point, I can't watch TV without seeing Suki staring at me.  So, I force myself to try my best to ignore her which, as you can imagine, is almost impossible.  

When I still haven't moved after about 10 minutes, Suki ramps up her campaign by going behind the recliner and using it as a scratching post. Although this is a major infraction of the rules, which all my yelling does nothing to stop, Suki knows I can't reach her without actually getting out of the chair.  

Finally, I give up and get up ... by now I have missed half my morning news show and my remaining coffee is cold.  As soon as Suki hears me begin the process of getting myself out of the recliner, she stops her naughtiness, sneaks past me and quickly jumps up onto the seat cushion the instant it is free.  She quickly settles down to sleep and, I swear, it almost looks as though she is smiling!  When will I learn that the cat always wins?

As for me, I continue to be about the same as usual.  I only have one medical appointment scheduled for the coming week and it will be an easy one.  Otherwise, I expect that, once again, this will be another fairly quiet week for me.  

I do have a big event occurring next Sunday -- I will be visiting "my boys" and their parents.  Since I have to leave here fairly early, I will try to finish my blog posting on Saturday and attempt to set the scheduling timer on Google so that the posting will actually be published on Sunday.  I hope it works!  





___________________________________



SIXTEENTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME





"Icon -- 'Mary has chosen the better part' ", by the hand of
Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, rev. 2016




Jesus entered a village where a woman whose name was Martha welcomed him. She had a sister named Mary who sat beside the Lord at his feet listening to him speak. Martha, burdened with much serving, came to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving? Tell her to help me.” The Lord said to her in reply, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things. There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her.”  Luke 10:38-42

No comments: