Sunday, 18 September 2016

Globba winitii -- Dancing Ladies

"Globba winitii -- Dancing Ladies (Ginger)", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2016



Unlike the members of the “ginger” family that are used for spices and medicine, Globba winitii is one of may “ornamental” ginger plants in the Family Zingiberaceae – a family which claims 50 genera and approximately 1,600 species distributed throughout tropical Africa, Asia, and the Americas. 

Commonly known as Dancing Ladies (Ginger), Globba winitii is native to the forests of warm, humid Thailand. Striking flowers bloom from late summer though early winter on stalks which appear from the base of the leaves. Each dangling flower spike has lilac-purple "leaves" trailing down the spike and small, tubular, yellow flowers which spread out from the stalk. The bright, green, lance-shaped leaves have pointed tips and heart-shaped bases. 

The genus name, Globba, is derived from the native name for this plant in Thailand. The specific name, winitii, is taken from the name of Phya Winit Wanandorn, a 20th-century Thailand botanist. 


Detail from
"Globba winitii -- Dancing Ladies (Ginger)"
drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2016
Globba winitii got its interesting common names, "Dancing Ladies or Dancing Ladies Ginger", because of its delicately balanced yellow flowers, which start to dance around when touched by the slightest breeze. In Thailand the long-lasting flowers are very popular and used as cut-flowers for offerings presented to Lord Buddha and Buddhist monks.

As you can see from the image on your left, I decided to take some details from the original drawing and incorporate them into another drawing using letter- rather than manuscript-style page placement.  


Birthday card created using a detail from
"Globba winitii -- Dancing Ladies (Ginger)"
 drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2016

Using this format makes it easier to include the drawing when creating greeting cards, for example.  

I used the image this past week in a birthday greeting (see drawing on right) which I prepared for my niece who is quite a world traveller.  Dancing Ladies, a plant native to distant lands, seemed to me to be the perfect image for her birthday card!  It is also a plant found in many gardens of the southern U.S. which is where my niece lives. How serendipitous!  









Portions of the text above were taken from various Internet sources.
__________________________________________________________





SUKI AND SALLIE





Suki asleep under my housecoat -- that's
her tail and backside showing!
Today I thought I would present a photo essay about Suki which I first entitled: 

"What Awakening Suki From a Nap Looks Like!" 

However, as you can see, that is a rather bulky, somewhat grammatically-awkward title.  

After spending a bit of time trying to create a title that was less wordy and grammatically correct, I finally threw up my hands in dismay.  In that moment of defeat, however, I thought to myself: "why not create a title that reflects the entire story, no matter how wordy it may be?"  

Thus, this is how I ended up with the following title for my photo essay:  

"Photos Showing Me Waking Suki From Her Nap and Forcing Her to Move so that I can Sit in My Bathroom Chair." 

Hope you enjoy it.



Suki exposed -- you can tell from her 
eyes that she is not pleased.
As is obvious from the photos, Suki is highly displeased about being awakened in the middle of her nap.  Heaping indignity upon indignity, I then force her to move from her favourite bathroom chair.  

Sadly, I did not get a photo of Suki exiting the chair as it required both my hands, pulling and pushing, in order to convince her that I seriously wanted her to move!







Suki, now completely exposed, looks at me with real displeasure.
I can almost hear her saying "You woke me up!  It had better
be because it is time to eat or else I will be extremely unhappy!"




However, I do have a lovely picture (above) of Suki looking very displeased and, no doubt, already planning her revenge.  Just look at her face.  Doesn't her expression "warm the cockles of your heart"?!

Otherwise, life goes on as usual at our home.

This past week, I had some tests on my eyes at the hospital and will get the results when I see the ophthalmologist again this coming week. Hopefully, there will be no surprises.

Aside from my regular days with Joycelyn and visits and phone calls from friends and family, it was very quiet around here during the past week. I am hoping the days ahead will also be peaceful and quiet -- for us all.







_________________________________________________





TWENTY-FIFTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME





"Christ Teaching to the Crowds", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, rev. 2016 
[mammon = the lust for money and the power it brings]


GOSPEL 


Jesus said to his disciples, “A rich man had a steward who was reported to him for squandering his property. He summoned him and said, ‘What is this I hear about you? Prepare a full account of your stewardship, because you can no longer be my steward.’ The steward said to himself, ‘What shall I do, now that my master is taking the position of steward away from me? I am not strong enough to dig and I am ashamed to beg. I know what I shall do so that, when I am removed from the stewardship, they may welcome me into their homes.’ He called in his master’s debtors one by one. To the first he said, ‘How much do you owe my master?’ He replied, ‘One hundred measures of olive oil.’ He said to him, ‘Here is your promissory note. Sit down and quickly write one for fifty.’ Then to another the steward said, ‘And you, how much do you owe?’ He replied, ‘One hundred measures of wheat.’ The steward said to him, ‘Here is your promissory note; write one for eighty.’ And the master commended that dishonest steward for acting prudently. “For the children of this world are more prudent in dealing with their own generation than are the children of light. I tell you, make friends for yourselves with dishonest wealth, so that when it fails, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings. The person who is trustworthy in very small matters is also trustworthy in great ones; and the person who is dishonest in very small matters is also dishonest in great ones. If, therefore, you are not trustworthy with dishonest wealth, who will trust you with true wealth? If you are not trustworthy with what belongs to another, who will give you what is yours? No servant can serve two masters. They will either hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and mammon.”          Luke 16:1-13

No comments: