Sunday, 2 October 2016

Philesia magellanica -- Bellflower

"Philesia magellanica -- Chilean Bellflower", drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2016



Philesia (Family Philesiaceae) is a South American genus of flowering plants first described in 1789. The flower is mostly pink in color, but some darker, more purple variations have been recorded. 

Philesia magellanica, is the only known species of this genus. It is native to southern Chile and southern Argentina, although rarely seen in the wild, and is commonly known by its Chilean name of Coicopihue



Philesia magellanica -- Chilean Bellflower
Source:  Wikipedia
With only a cursory examination, the flowers of Philesia magellanica look almost exactly like those of its cousin, Lapageria rosea, the national flower of Chile. As with P. magellanica, L. rosea, commonly known by its Chilean name of Copihue, is the only species found in the genus Lapageria. On closer examination, however, it is easy to determine whether the plant is a shrub (P. magellanica) or a vine (L. rosea). 




Sephanoides sephanoides -- 
Greenbacked Firecrown Hummingbird
Source:  Wikipedia

Philesia magellanica tends to form a compact shrub about 3 feet tall and wide, with small, evergreen leaves. The vivid, pink blossoms are 2 inches long and are largely pollinated by the Greenbacked Fire-crown hummingbirds. 



As to the proper names of this plant, the genus name, Philesia, is from the Greek word philesis which means “loving affection”. The species name of magellanica refers to one of the areas native to this plant – the Magellan Straits, Chile.







Portions of the above text were taken from various Internet sources.
___________________________________





SUKI AND SALLIE






Suki Sulking on Rug



With gratitude, I report that the two of us have had a relatively quiet week.  To the best of my knowledge, Suki has not done anything aggravating, irritating or devious since last Sunday.  (You notice that I qualified the above statement with the words, "to the best of my knowledge" -- the reason for this is that too often in the past I have discovered something naughty that Suki has done several weeks after the fact)!


I do want to comment, however, on the above photo (taken early this morning).  It shows Suki sulking.  And, why is she sulking? Because I won't give her any more food!  By the time this photo was taken, Suki had been fed her normal breakfast portion of turkey and gravy PLUS about 12 pieces of her beloved "crunchies". Normally, I would only give her turkey and gravy, but she still seemed so very hungry after eating that I gave in and gave her a small portion of her dry food.  Even that did not seem to satisfy her and when her begging-meows remained unanswered, she went and plopped herself down on the rug and glared at me unhappily. Eventually, she gave up and settled down in one of her chairs for a nap that will last until close to lunch time.

You may be interested in knowing that the rug on which Suki is lying was made about 100 years ago by one of my fraternal great-aunts.  It was given to my mother as a gift, passed along to my sister, Betty, after our mother died and, now, since the death of my sister, Betty, back in 2007, it has come down to me.  I intend to pass it on to my niece.  The carved stool legs behind Suki belong to a handmade, wooden stool with hand-painted tiles on the top.  It belonged to my mother-in-law who told me that it came from Mexico where it had been created by a well-known craftsman. I would guess that it must be about 80 years old. Then there is Suki!

I am expecting a visit this week from a dear friend.  We don't see one another very often now what with all my problems; however, the moment we start catching up on each others "news", we will swing easily back into enjoyable conversation and laughter. Friendship is an amazingly, wonderful thing.

I also have my regular six-month's appointment with my pulmonologist/internist this coming week.  This visit will include a breathing test. As you may recall, last time I took this test, I was informed that I only have about a 5% margin separating me from continuing to use the mild puffer I now require and having to start using a much stronger one.  So please cross your fingers that I will "pass" the test easily.  Thanks.

On this day in the year 1869, Mahatma Gandhi was born.  Today we commemorate his birthday as well as the International Day of Non-Violence. Please be kind to one another.





________________________________




TWENTY-SEVENTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME






"Mulberry Tree ('If you had faith the size of a mustard seed...')"
drawing by Sarah "Sallie" Thayer, 2016






The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith.” The Lord replied, “If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you would say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you. “Who among you would say to your servant who has just come in from plowing or tending sheep in the field, ‘Come here immediately and take your place at table’? Would he not rather say to him, ‘Prepare something for me to eat. Put on your apron and wait on me while I eat and drink. You may eat and drink when I am finished’? Is he grateful to that servant because he did what was commanded? So should it be with you. When you have done all you have been commanded, say, ‘We are unprofitable servants; we have done what we were obliged to do.’”   Luke 17:5-10

No comments: